Obscure horror games recommendations

TotallyHuman

I remember looking at some either chinese or japanese gory vn-thing about a superior magical race of cannibals taking over the planet... well, I didn't play it, but I read a chinese gory hentai fanfic about it.
If I find it I will post it here
EDIT: here's a chinese article about it

Last edited:

BernKatstel

Witch of miracles/Miracle feline
One game i often see recommended in terms of horror is Thief (1998). Another one is Subnautica.

I'd say the main appeal of horror game's isn't so much the story but the 'mood' and atmosphere they can bring about.

I think the problem with your argument is that i can easily apply the same logic to books and movies too. It's all a facade created by the author to try and unsettle us, there can't even be any attempt to give us an illusion of helplessness because we know from the start the story is set in stone. Its so very easy to detach ourselves from horror in any format, its a genre that will never work for people unwilling to engage with it regardless of medium.
Thanks. I’ll check Thief out
Darkwood and House.Wad are two great ones that can be seen as masterpieces in their own way. Dead space should have some good existential horror. Dasaku is a good horrifying visual novel and Denpa in general is an obscure visual novel horror genre.
I already tried these and I liked them all tbh. Dead space was fun
Resident Evil 5. There's boulders in it! Killer ones at that.
I enjoy being rolled over by big rocks
I remember looking at some either chinese or japanese gory vn-thing about a superior magical race of cannibals taking over the planet... well, I didn't play it, but I read a chinese gory hentai fanfic about it.
If I find it I will post it here
EDIT: here's a chinese article about it
Well, this looks like a fever dream. Now I gotta see if I can download it without installing spyware and try to translate it. Thank you!

FatElf

Didn't see anyone recommending this one, but do try Doki Doki Literature Club. It's free on steam.

BernKatstel

Didn't see anyone recommending this one, but do try Doki Doki Literature Club. It's free on steam.
Thanks! Yeah, I have tried most of the mainstream ones which is why I asked for obscure. It was a fine game, all things considered, but not to my taste

Keene

Squat Enjoyer and Programmer
Haven't seen it in this thread but White Day is an absolute banger.

BernKatstel

Haven't seen it in this thread but White Day is an absolute banger.

Thank you. Looks interesting. Will have to check it out

fluffypie374

Night Security by Chillia's Art LLC - Japanese Horror Game... Well, you know these type of games.

Endless Suburbia ... it claims to brings your worse fear to life it... but you'll have to play to find out. May be boring to some, but really interesting and realistic once you get in it.

Finally, my favorite. Seven Nights Ghost... the traditional Sadako, but with a very, very wholesome spin. This one is a horror game yet it makes you feel bubbly inside at the same time. :blob_uwu:

BernKatstel

Night Security by Chillia's Art LLC - Japanese Horror Game... Well, you know these type of games.

Endless Suburbia ... it claims to brings your worse fear to life it... but you'll have to play to find out. May be boring to some, but really interesting and realistic once you get in it.

Finally, my favorite. Seven Nights Ghost... the traditional Sadako, but with a very, very wholesome spin. This one is a horror game yet it makes you feel bubbly inside at the same time. :blob_uwu:
Played all of these. Good games! I especially like Chillia’s
Bloodborne, Darkest Dungeon, Parasite Eve.
Thanks, Parasite Eve is one I haven’t heard of before

ElliePorter

Crimson Queen Of The Night
If you have emulators for PS1 and PS2

You should try D (this is actually the name of the game), Clock Tower, Parasite Eve 1 & 2, Siren (or Forbidden Siren in other terms), Fatal Frame Saga, Resident Evil: Gun Survivor (or Biohazard in Japanese version).

BernKatstel

Finally, I can recommend this game somewhere! It's actually a visual novel, probably one of the best ever made.
A MASTERPIECE: SAYA NO UTA
Are you ready to descend into the darkest abyss?

Plot summary:
Fuminori Sakisaka is a medical student whose life was radically changed in a tragic accident that killed his parents. To save his life, doctors performed an experimental neurosurgical procedure on him. However, it resulted in a severe form of agnosia, drastically altering his senses. Fuminori now perceives the world as a horrific nightmare, where the sky is black, and everything is covered in pulsating flesh, organs, and blood; people appear to him as grotesque masses of flesh emitting a terrible stench, and even food tastes disgusting.
Fuminori would have already ended his life, if not for one night while still hospitalized, he meets Saya, a mysterious girl who appears incredibly normal to him. Rejoicing at having found a glimmer of hope in this horrific world, he convinces the girl to live with him.

This ended up being beautiful in the most disturbing of ways. Thank for the wholesome insanity :blob_cookie:

MatchaChocolate69

What happens when the mirror breaks?
This ended up being beautiful in the most disturbing of ways. Thank for the wholesome insanity :blob_cookie:
I'm glad you enjoyed it, and one of my favorite stories but definitely not for everyone.
It's a distrubing experience, and its soundtrack is printed in my mind.

GoodPerson

The only active fanfictioners in the forum.
Please let me know if you have played any and why you think it’s good. Any type of game is fine. I’ll reward any worthy suggestions

I have some suggestions related to human conditions. However, I still don't understand the meaning of obscure horror games. Here are the four games I recommend you to play:

1 - Cry of Fear

One of, if not the best free horror games I've played. Yes, there are some bugs and mishaps in it because it was made in GoldSource (a half-life game engine), but I'm sure you'll love the tone. It has cheap jumpscares though. Do mind, that this game was published back in 2012, the golden era of YouTube gaming.

Also, remember this if you somehow decide to play the game.

Don't run from past rejection, and trust your doctor.

2 - Afraid of Monsters

The developer of Cry of Fear made this game as the latter's foundation. It's good and crappy, and it has that junky Half-Life flashlight. You'll find one of the enemies endearing with their snappy movements (I swear).

There are 2 versions of this game:

-The original, and
-The Director's Cut

You'll find the differences between these 2 versions. One has many endings, the other has a powerful shotgun.

3 - Total Chaos

A mod created from the Doom 2 engine and is one of the best Doom mods I've ever seen.

Tips: Don't get overweight, you'll be as slow as a snail. Also, don't try game mode plus, you will be chased and get scared a lot.

4 - Decaying Winter

Even if this is a Roblox game, and it's not a horror game, it definitely will terrorize you. If you like to suffer and learn from experiences, this is the game for you. And this is the game where you should check the wiki for guides and tips.

This game will give you an addiction, once you understand the mechanics of it.

Surviving.

It'll make you happy, a lot. Just by surviving one night above night 4.