Periods in between words

Chize

Hello. I just wanna ask if there's a way to remove the periods in between words like "h.e.l.l.o" "p.a.s.sionate" "gr.a.p.e.vine" "b.u.t.t.on" on stories in here?

I'm trying so hard to ignore it all this time but at this point it's just too distracting for me

Mihou

Firefly—
I don't understand what you mean, do you mind showing a screenshot or something?

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
I only found them in Webnovel story because they censor those words. Maybe it's a story imported from there?

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
I only found them in Webnovel story because they censor those words. Maybe it's a story imported from there?
considering how popular it is to import stories into other sites to gain traffic, that's probably the case

Chize

What do you mean?
I don't understand what you mean, do you mind showing a screenshot or something?
The periods between the words. like"sp.a.c.e" "cla.s.s" "gla.s.s.es" in the screenshots
Screenshot_20200611_172336.png
Screenshot_20200611_172324.png
Screenshot_20200611_172256.png

Chize

Censorship most likely after being imported from another site, since those words contain possibly censored words, it shouldn't be possible to remove those unless the author does it.
is that so.. :cry: Thank you for clearing that up

Goswick

Drunken Australian
You could probably leave comments asking the author to remove them manually, but otherwise I think you're out of luck. Considering the fact that the person who uploaded "Rebirth of a Movie Star" has their profile turned off though, I doubt you'll have much of a chance interacting with them.

It might be a formatting error from wherever you got it from, it may be a means of subverting a ludicrously draconian profanity filter, or perhaps it's an attempt to try and get around being easily detected for plagiarising work from elsewhere.

It seems most likely though that it's been simply copy-pasted across from other sites without implementing proper formatting changes in each one, as a quick Google search shows that J112233 or "White_Sky_Translations" (same person, from what I can gather) has posted this across various different sites, with little to no effort to try and format it correctly for each one. The author originally used a Wordpress site, which they've tried to migrate from, but the link to the new website leads to an empty domain page. I'm assuming that they were probably copying it from Wordpress, which might be where all of the formatting errors came from.

Whatever happened, the content isn't available at all from its original source because of the site migration - which is a shame.

I found a version on a different website that doesn't have the periods in between the words on another site, but there's line breaks galore on that one. Likewise, there's also a version that someone else has uploaded to Wattpad, crediting J112233 for the translation. It's better formatted than the other versions that I've found, and it doesn't have weird line breaks and full-stops in the middle of words - which is a plus.

It's really up to you whether you'd like to read the work of someone else who might've nicked it from the original translator, or whether you're willing to tough out the terrible formatting for now. Anyway, I spent way too much time on this lol. Good luck with your reading.

EDIT: I've amended this post to remove the Wattpad link. Instead, take a look at the Scribblehub version that Tony uploaded here, and read Alice_Shiki's response below clarifying what actually happened.

Last edited:

Chize

You could probably leave comments asking the author to remove them manually, but otherwise I think you're out of luck. Considering the fact that the person who uploaded "Rebirth of a Movie Star" has their profile turned off though, I doubt you'll have much of a chance interacting with them.

It might be a formatting error from wherever you got it from, it may be a means of subverting a ludicrously draconian profanity filter, or perhaps it's an attempt to try and get around being easily detected for plagiarising work from elsewhere.

It seems most likely though that it's been simply copy-pasted across from other sites without implementing proper formatting changes in each one, as a quick Google search shows that J112233 or "White_Sky_Translations" (same person, from what I can gather) has posted this across various different sites, with little to no effort to try and format it correctly for each one. The author originally used a Wordpress site, which they've tried to migrate from, but the link to the new website leads to an empty domain page. I'm assuming that they were probably copying it from Wordpress, which might be where all of the formatting errors came from.

Whatever happened, the content isn't available at all from its original source because of the site migration - which is a shame.

I found a version on a different website that doesn't have the periods in between the words on another site, but there's line breaks galore on that one. Likewise, there's also a version that someone else has uploaded to Wattpad, crediting J112233 for the translation. It's better formatted than the other versions that I've found, and it doesn't have weird line breaks and full-stops in the middle of words - which is a plus.

It's really up to you whether you'd like to read the work of someone else who's probably nicked it from the original author, or whether you're willing to tough out the terrible formatting for now. Anyway, I spent way too much time on this lol. Good luck with your reading.
thank you so much for the alternative :blob_aww: This is awesome. Idk how can I properly express how I am for this but really really thank you!

Goswick

Drunken Australian
thank you so much for the alternative :blob_aww: This is awesome. Idk how can I properly express how I am for this but really really thank you!

Hahaha, no need to thank me mate, all I did was use Google a little. If you really wanna thank me though, I could always use more readers of my own stuff lol.

But nah, in all seriousness, I hope you enjoy it. Lemme know if you find any other works with similar issues on here and I'll see if I can hunt them down for you. I'm more than happy to help out where I can.

Chize

Hahaha, no need to thank me mate, all I did was use Google a little. If you really wanna thank me though, I could always use more readers of my own stuff lol.

But nah, in all seriousness, I hope you enjoy it. Lemme know if you find any other works with similar issues on here and I'll see if I can hunt them down for you. I'm more than happy to help out where I can.

I've tried your isekai inc. & I'm really liking malarie! Reading how she's trying her best makes me happy, she's a doesn't have a weak personality which suits my taste a lot. Though I'm worried for her after seeing the tragedy tag. I'm really cheering for her to have a happy end.

I'm not a really active reader since I tend to stockpile chapters and binge read them later but I'll definitely follow your story :blobthumbsup:

Goswick

Drunken Australian
I've tried your isekai inc. & I'm really liking malarie! Reading how she's trying her best makes me happy, she's a doesn't have a weak personality which suits my taste a lot. Though I'm worried for her after seeing the tragedy tag. I'm really cheering for her to have a happy end.

I'm not a really active reader since I tend to stockpile chapters and binge read them later but I'll definitely follow your story :blobthumbsup:

Oh yeah lol, I should really remove the tragedy tag from Isekai Inc. Thanks for reminding me.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice

I found a version on a different website that doesn't have the periods in between the words on another site, but there's line breaks galore on that one. Likewise, there's also a version that someone else has uploaded to [REDACTED] crediting J112233 for the translation. It's better formatted than the other versions that I've found, and it doesn't have weird line breaks and full-stops in the middle of words - which is a plus.

It's really up to you whether you'd like to read the work of someone else who's probably nicked it from the original author, or whether you're willing to tough out the terrible formatting for now. Anyway, I spent way too much time on this lol. Good luck with your reading.
Okay uhn... Goswick shared a ton of misinformation, so let me correct him.

The author of the story is J112233, the translator is White Sky Translations. The translator had their own website, but said website went down, so Tony rehosted the story on Scribblehub. (He uses Scribblehub for that from time to time, though those stories won't get ads in their pages once Scribbly does get ads)

Every single other site out there that hosts the novel has pirated the original content from White Sky and rehosted in their own site, usually for the sake of free ad revenue. There are tons of sites dedicated to stealing fantranslations of novels out there, you probably just found a few. I have no clue why some people also steal it and put on Wattpad, but it also happens with regularity.

As for the Profile turned off thing... That's because the "White Sky Translations" user on Scribblehub was created by Tony and is not affiliated with the original translator in any way.

Goswick

Drunken Australian
Okay uhn... Goswick shared a ton of misinformation, so let me correct him.

The author of the story is J112233, the translator is White Sky Translations. The translator had their own website, but said website went down, so Tony rehosted the story on Scribblehub. (He uses Scribblehub for that from time to time, though those stories won't get ads in their pages once Scribbly does get ads)

Every single other site out there that hosts the novel has pirated the original content from White Sky and rehosted in their own site, usually for the sake of free ad revenue. There are tons of sites dedicated to stealing fantranslations of novels out there, you probably just found a few. I have no clue why some people also steal it and put on Wattpad, but it also happens with regularity.

As for the Profile turned off thing... That's because the "White Sky Translations" user on Scribblehub was created by Tony and is not affiliated with the original translator in any way.

Oh, that would definitely explain all that lol. I'm so sorry, I sort of figured J112233 was the dude behind White Sky, and that White Sky was the original translator. It's hard when all you've got to go off is a google search, I'm afraid.

Anyway, I'm sorry for the misinformation on my part, I wasn't aware of all that. I've edited the original post to reflect the new info. Thanks for the clarification!

Last edited:

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Oh, that would definitely explain all that lol. I'm so sorry, I sort of figured J112233 was the dude behind White Sky, and that White Sky was the original translator. It's hard when all you've got to go off is a google search, I'm afraid.

Anyway, I'm sorry for the misinformation on my part, I wasn't aware of all that. I've edited the original post to reflect the new info. Thanks for the clarification!
No worries, it happens, I just am more involved with the novel translation community and NovelUpdates, so I know quite a bit of those things! xD

red

I had the same problem on another site so I made some code to solve the issue (and changed it a bit to work on scribblehub), if you want to use it I recommend using an extension like 'custom javascript for websites 2' but running it in the inspector console should also work fine, you can change the words you want to replace in the changes list (it doesn't work with caps e.g. cla.s.s is not the same as Cla.s.s, I'm not familiar enough with javascript so I didn't fix it yet)

JavaScript:
var path = document.querySelector("#chp_raw")

// replace words
var log_number = true;
var use_alert = false;

var count = 0;

var changes = [
  ['cla.s.s', 'class'],
  ['h.e.l.l', 'hell'],
  ['b.u.t.ton', 'button'],
  ['compet.i.tive', 'competitive'],
  ['s.p.a.ce', 'space'],
  ['.s.', 's'],
  ['st.u.r.dy', 'sturdy'],
  ['j.a.panese', 'japanese'],
  ['antic.i.p.ation', 'anticipation'],
  ['d.a.m.n', 'damn'],
  ['gr.a.p.e.vine .', 'grapevine'],
  ['sc.r.a.ping', 'scraping']
]

var message = "changed '";

var tag = path.getElementsByTagName("p");

for (var i = 0; i < tag.length; i++) {
  var contents = tag[i].innerHTML;
  var old = contents;

function arep(edit) {
    contents = contents.replace(edit[0], edit[1]);

if (contents != old) {
      if (!log_number) {
        console.log(message.concat(edit[0], "' --> '", edit[1], "'"));
      } else {
        count++;
      }

old = contents;
      arep(edit);
    }
  }

changes.forEach(arep);

tag[i].innerHTML = contents;
}

if (log_number) {
  if (use_alert) {
    alert("replaced ".concat(count.toString(), " words"))
  } else {
    console.log("replaced ".concat(count.toString(), " words"))
  }
}

(I hope I'm not breaking any rules (°-°))

Last edited:

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
I had the same problem on another site so I made some code to solve the issue (and changed it a bit to work on scribblehub), if you want to use it I recommend using an extension like 'custom javascript for websites 2' but running it in the inspector console should also work fine, you can change the words you want to replace in the changes list (it doesn't work with caps e.g. cla.s.s is not the same as Cla.s.s, I'm not familiar enough with javascript so I didn't fix it yet)

JavaScript:
var path = document.querySelector("#chp_raw")

// replace words
var log_number = true;
var use_alert = false;

var count = 0;

var changes = [
  ['cla.s.s', 'class'],
  ['h.e.l.l', 'hell'],
  ['b.u.t.ton', 'button']
]

var message = "changed '";

var tag = path.getElementsByTagName("p");

for (var i = 0; i < tag.length; i++) {
  var contents = tag[i].innerHTML;
  var old = contents;

function arep(edit) {
    contents = contents.replace(edit[0], edit[1]);

if (contents != old) {
      if (!log_number) {
        console.log(message.concat(edit[0], "' --> '", edit[1], "'"));
      } else {
        count++;
      }

old = contents;
      arep(edit);
    }
  }

changes.forEach(arep);

tag[i].innerHTML = contents;
}

if (log_number) {
  if (use_alert) {
    alert("replaced ".concat(count.toString(), " words"))
  } else {
    console.log("replaced ".concat(count.toString(), " words"))
  }
}

(I hope I'm not breaking any rules (°-°))
this is some matrix shit tf