Please add "Anti-Villain protagonist and Retired Villain Protagonist" tags

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Explain Anti-Villain Protagonist without sounding contradictory.

Ace_Arriande

I see no difference from the anti-hero protagonist.

Anti-heroes are dickbags who are ultimately good.
Anti-villains are good people who are ultimately evil.
The TV Tropes link above perfectly explains it.
"Anti-Villain is an attempt to lighten up a villain as opposed to an Anti-Hero, which has a tendency to darken the hero. "

Personally, I don't think that a tag for them is necessary (I don't think a tag for anti-hero is necessary either because it only serves to bloat up the tag list), but I do believe they are distinctly different.

BenJepheneT

Anti-heroes are dickbags who are ultimately good.
Anti-villains are good people who are ultimately evil.
The TV Tropes link above perfectly explains it.
"Anti-Villain is an attempt to lighten up a villain as opposed to an Anti-Hero, which has a tendency to darken the hero. "

Personally, I don't think that a tag for them is necessary (I don't think a tag for anti-hero is necessary either because it only serves to bloat up the tag list), but I do believe they are distinctly different.
So anti villain protagonist is a protagonist who is a villain who seems good in surface, but is ultimately terrible if you look closer into the character.

Ace_Arriande

So anti villain protagonist is a protagonist who is a villain who seems good in surface, but is ultimately terrible if you look closer into the character.

That or, alternatively, they're a genuinely good person who just has goals that could be interpreted as evil. Though, one could argue that an anti-villain is basically just a well-written villain who isn't stereotypically evil.

BenJepheneT

That or, alternatively, they're a genuinely good person who just has goals that could be interpreted as evil. Though, one could argue that an anti-villain is basically just a well-written villain who isn't stereotypically evil.
Would this guy count.

BenJepheneT

I think he counts as a well-written villain!
I'mma be real honest - watching Infinity War, I was actually rooting for Thanos. I personally don't mind fading away if that means I could help preserve half of my population. Just give me a week to get my goodbyes in order and I'll be ready. Though it'll be pretty fucken awkward if I turned out to be half the population saved.

That said, Endgame turned Thanos less of a villain and more of an end goal. Sad how they treated him there. But since he got all his characterization from IW there isn't much to do with him anymore, I guess.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
I'mma be real honest - watching Infinity War, I was actually rooting for Thanos. I personally don't mind fading away if that means I could help preserve half of my population. Just give me a week to get my goodbyes in order and I'll be ready. Though it'll be pretty fucken awkward if I turned out to be half the population saved.

That said, Endgame turned Thanos less of a villain and more of an end goal. Sad how they treated him there. But since he got all his characterization from IW there isn't much to do with him anymore, I guess.
Aye, he didn't get much justice done in Endgame, but... I ought to say I loved the Thor + Captain America VS Thanos fight scene, that was sooooooo cool! :blob_aww:

I forgive all sins to Thanos character because that fight exists~ <3

Vaerama

Villainism is such a hard thing to pin down sometimes.

Technically speaking, I suppose I'd be able to use an anti-villain tag if it were to be created... but whether or not I would, I don't know. Morality's too complex for any villainy that isn't the very most basic of basics. People tend to think they're good people, and when you hear someone who thinks they're not a good person: they invariably do not like themselves.

Everyone is someone's villain.