Plz help new author out

Mrpigeon

What are some tips and things to keep in mind for someone who has no writing experience at all?
i would Also be greatful if you can tell some information about how things work
Here for authors on scribble hub
Also what are some unspoken rules on scribble hub
Ps
English is not my 1st language

J_Chemist

• Grammar, spelling, effort.
  • Read more.
  • Be patient, keep writing. Even when you get flamed or a 1-Star Rating. Opinions matter but they're just that- opinions. Write what you want.
  • Edit your chapters and take it seriously.
  • English as not a first language is an excuse. Don't hide behind it. Get better at the language if you want to target the English Audience. Otherwise, your work will forever reflect.
Good luck. :blobtaco:

Mrpigeon

• Grammar, spelling, effort.
  • Read more.
  • Be patient, keep writing. Even when you get flamed or a 1-Star Rating. Opinions matter but they're just that- opinions. Write what you want.
  • Edit your chapters and take it seriously.
  • English as not a first language is an excuse. Don't hide behind it. Get better at the language if you want to target the English Audience. Otherwise, your work will forever reflect.
Good luck. :blobtaco:
Haha u are right about excuse part. Quite honestly just trying to write as a hobby, and thought would be fun. As for editing, even i think it is what sharpens the sword at the end.
As for the reading part, I have been addic ahem , I love reading novels and that's what has lead me to maybe write something of my own .
Hmm but it might be hard if someone swears at me/flame me though haha , but I will be fine probably.
Thanks for the encouragement and helping me out. I really appreciate it :blob_happy:

SailusGebel

D

Deleted member 139452

The first line/paragraph of your story is the most important, as it brings people in (Or so I’ve heard). So, if I may ask, how would/do you start your story? (any pov)

I've had to explain this a few times, So I'm just gonna make a thread to refer people to. WHAT IS "PHYSICS" IN FICTION?" In fiction, we write stories based on reality, to some extent or another. It can follow reality very closely, like in a normal, everyday, slice-of-life romance, or it can....

What makes an action story tick? I believe all stories- or genres of stories- have something that makes them interesting. For comedies, its the gags. Simple enough. For romance (in my opinion) it's the small, lighthearted interactions between the ML and FL, although I suppose in general it's...

As it turns out, writing a story isn't so hard, it's writing a good story that's hard. So before I go into the topic above and hammer down the questions I have, I will tell you a little bit about myself so you can better understand my situation. I'm from Germany, so English is my second...

•what's your average writing is speed ? Are there ways you are able to write faster? •how are you able to better flesh out you charector and the world? •what are some early mistakes you did as an author? •how much detail is too much or too less? •how are you able to create new names which fit...

Hello , I am writing a story for my first time and I need some tips about how to make a funny dialogue between the streamer and the audience and also how long should it be? Should I make a single chapter dedicated to the stream or make it shorter and add it to the chapter like : Meanwhile in...

The above are some past threads of advice asked by new writers

Also don't forget to Check out @Story_Marc's YouTube channel it's very useful

Last edited by a moderator:

Mrpigeon

Thank you very much for your help!
It's super helpful:blob_happy:
The first line/paragraph of your story is the most important, as it brings people in (Or so I’ve heard). So, if I may ask, how would/do you start your story? (any pov)

I've had to explain this a few times, So I'm just gonna make a thread to refer people to. WHAT IS "PHYSICS" IN FICTION?" In fiction, we write stories based on reality, to some extent or another. It can follow reality very closely, like in a normal, everyday, slice-of-life romance, or it can....

What makes an action story tick? I believe all stories- or genres of stories- have something that makes them interesting. For comedies, its the gags. Simple enough. For romance (in my opinion) it's the small, lighthearted interactions between the ML and FL, although I suppose in general it's...
As it turns out, writing a story isn't so hard, it's writing a good story that's hard. So before I go into the topic above and hammer down the questions I have, I will tell you a little bit about myself so you can better understand my situation. I'm from Germany, so English is my second...

•what's your average writing is speed ? Are there ways you are able to write faster? •how are you able to better flesh out you charector and the world? •what are some early mistakes you did as an author? •how much detail is too much or too less? •how are you able to create new names which fit...

Hello , I am writing a story for my first time and I need some tips about how to make a funny dialogue between the streamer and the audience and also how long should it be? Should I make a single chapter dedicated to the stream or make it shorter and add it to the chapter like : Meanwhile in...

Woah thank you for linking so much info, must have taken quite a bit of effort :blob_gift:

Woah thank you for linking so much info, must have taken quite a bit of effort :blob_gift:

SailusGebel

Thank you very much for your help!
It's super helpful:blob_happy:
I didn't do anything. You should thank the man, the legend, @Corty :blob_salute: He is the one who did it and gathered all kinds of guides, tips, and advice. Btw, first link also has links to various guides. If you click on the first link, you will see the table of contents. Section C is where links to various guides were gathered.

MintiLime

Unofficial Class President, Author
What are some tips and things to keep in mind for someone who has no writing experience at all?
Ps
As a newbie author, and someone doing it as a hobbyist/ self-motivation type thing, don’t put too much pressure on it.

I’ve felt like my writing isn’t good enough, like if I did better I’d get more views, so on, so forth. I find that a good thing is do is JUST PUSH THROUGH.

Feel like over-editing is preventing you from publishing? Push out the chapter and edit after.

Feel like views are low? Stop looking at the numbers, they don’t mean too much initially. Some readers won’t look at stories with under 20 chapters as they are worried authors will drop the work.

You can’t get better without Doing. Everything else will come with time

Mrpigeon

As a newbie author, and someone doing it as a hobbyist/ self-motivation type thing, don’t put too much pressure on it.

I’ve felt like my writing isn’t good enough, like if I did better I’d get more views, so on, so forth. I find that a good thing is do is JUST PUSH THROUGH.

Feel like over-editing is preventing you from publishing? Push out the chapter and edit after.

Feel like views are low? Stop looking at the numbers, they don’t mean too much initially. Some readers won’t look at stories with under 20 chapters as they are worried authors will drop the work.

You can’t get better without Doing. Everything else will come with time
Haha personal experience with quote "you can't get better without doing". So i don't get very sad, instead I'm happy whenever I make progress.
Ps : I'm some readers lmao

D.S.Nate

Grammarly is your best friend.
This is defiantly but I would also look into Prowritingaid as well. You mileage may very depending on you but I often find that Prowritingaid is just that bit more helpful. Beyond that that is all sage advice I'm seeing here. Not been on forums in years but this seems really active so I'd say your in good hands.

I have a discord for writers and artists where we do weekly podcasts talking about aspects of writing. If you interested in joining then let me know.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
Ps
Genre. Genre. Genre.

Carefully, choose your genre. What you write is half the rent.

And if you rely on world building, plan ahead and keep lists. Lists. And lot of lists. Write down every location and character you introduce. Write down every potential plot development you hinted at. It will save you a lot of time down the road.

Mrpigeon

Genre. Genre. Genre.

Carefully, choose your genre. What you write is half the rent.

And if you rely on world building, plan ahead and keep lists. Lists. And lot of lists. Write down every location and character you introduce. Write down every potential plot development you hinted at. It will save you a lot of time down the road.
Ohh i actually hadn't thought about making lists. That's great idea, thanksss because my memory sucks lol

Sleds

I'm looking for Disney Sleds
Write any idea that come to your mind on a paper/file, you never know when you would be able to use them or if you forgot about them.

Create a Story Planning, you won't have to follow exaclty what you write in it, but having a plan of what would happen to your story for each arcs may help you.

When you write your story, choose a Pov and stay with it. Don't write one chapter on 1st Pov and the next in 3rd Pov except maybe if you want to write one chapter time to time in 3rd Pov for a 1st Pov story to show your reader a different point of view to help them understand the world better.

Before publishing your story, try to write a lot of chapters to have stockpile, and then proceed to create a confortable shedule for you to release your chapter. Do it at your own pace, don't be pressured by any reader, writing your story how you want is better than forcing yourself to write a chapter you will hate.

When editing previous published chapters, take into consideration if what you change would impact the story, if it's the case, tell your reader in your next chapter published about the changment you made.

Don't be pressured by any bad review/rating, not everyone can like your story, not everyone would know about the work you have to do to write your story. Take what you can from each review and thought about it, if that help you or not will depend on you, some can help you, other just want you to disapear.

Last edited:

Mrpigeon

Write any idea that come to your mind on a paper/file, you never know when you would be able to use them or if you forgot about them.

Create a Story Planning, you won't have to follow exaclty what you write in it, but having a plan of what would happen to your story for each arcs may help you.

When you write your story, choose a Pov and stay with it. Don't write one chapter on 1st Pov and the next in 3rd Pov except maybe if you want to write one chapter time to time in 3rd Pov for a 1st Pov story to show your reader a different point of view to help them understand the world better.

Before publishing your story, try to write a lot of chapters to have stockpile, and then proceed to create a confortable shedule for you to release your chapter. Do it at your own pace, don't be pressured by any reader, writing your story how you want is better than forcing yourself to write a chapter you will hate.

When editing previous published chapters, take into consideration if what you change would impact the story, if it's the case, tell your reader in your next chapter published about the changment you made.

Don't be pressured by any bad review/rating, not everyone can like your story, not everyone would know about the work you have to do to write your story. Take what you can from each review and thought about it, if that help you or not will depend on you, some can help you, other just want you to disapear.
That's pretty solid advice,
Especially one where you said to write all scenarios for future reference. Whenever I write something I just discard the rest, but maybe I can use it somewhere in future i guess.
As for bad reviews I will try to not get it to me. But should work on stockpile though.

wresch

The best writing advice I ever got was in a literature class. The prof had been in Paris in the 20s. He talked about Heminway and Stein and showed how each had created a style (mostly Hemingway stole from Stein). But the point was there are many ways you can tell a story. Yes, POV, but also word choice, sentence structure, sentence length... My recommendation - go into a bookstore or library and read the first paragraph of ten books. If the authors are any good, they will each have their own way to tell their story. Pick one. Try it out.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
Read more, write more, eat more, sh*te more.

Anyway, reading and writing is pretty much the only way to get better. It also helps if you write about stuff you like or know about. NEVER write a certain genre or kind of story just because it's popular. You're just starting writing, no need to sell your soul and future for a chance to make money off it.

Mrpigeon

The best writing advice I ever got was in a literature class. The prof had been in Paris in the 20s. He talked about Heminway and Stein and showed how each had created a style (mostly Hemingway stole from Stein). But the point was there are many ways you can tell a story. Yes, POV, but also word choice, sentence structure, sentence length... My recommendation - go into a bookstore or library and read the first paragraph of ten books. If the authors are any good, they will each have their own way to tell their story. Pick one. Try it oyeah

The best writing advice I ever got was in a literature class. The prof had been in Paris in the 20s. He talked about Heminway and Stein and showed how each had created a style (mostly Hemingway stole from Stein). But the point was there are many ways you can tell a story. Yes, POV, but also word choice, sentence structure, sentence length... My recommendation - go into a bookstore or library and read the first paragraph of ten books. If the authors are any good, they will each have their own way to tell their story. Pick one. Try it out.
Yeah, i will try to read some quality books. Will have to force myself to go though because of my procrastination skills being ex. Haha . Regardless that's good advice thankss
Read more, write more, eat more, sh*te more.

Anyway, reading and writing is pretty much the only way to get better. It also helps if you write about stuff you like or know about. NEVER write a certain genre or kind of story just because it's popular. You're just starting writing, no need to sell your soul and future for a chance to make money off it.
I agree with you on shit more eat more part. As for reading I have been reading novels from past 3 -4 yrs so pretty much know where story is going. Atleast my reading addiction would be used somewhere :p
Apart from that yeah I'm not looking for money because I know it would not be fun to write anymore . I'm honestly just picking up writing to enjoy as a hobby, and want to see how my senarios would work in long run
Writing advice from this person can be very helpful, though not a requirement.

Wow that person has pretty much have a walkthrough guide. Thanks for recommending them Prince azmiran 😁
Many thanks to ookamikasumi too for writing all that guides
People here are really helpful man. I thought nobody would reply much but I'm pleasently surprised. Again thank you all for the solid advices

Last edited: