[POLL] Which type of villain is more up to your alley?

Which type of villain is more up to your alley?

• The straight-up evil. (Sauron, Palpatine, Voldemort)

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • The complex evil. (Gollum, Thanos, Hans Landa)

Votes: 22 66.7%

• Total voters

esThr

Mostly complex though straight up evil can be good sometimes (I blame xianxia/cultivation/murim for ruining the straight up evil ones into 1D characters)

CSDestroyer

Yet another chance to say Bondrewd is one of my favorite villains (and he is closer to the complex side).
The rumble of scientific triumph. Man is evil, without a doubt, but he's motivated by the pursuit of knowledge.

I find outright evil villains fun, especially for tongue-in-cheek and satirical media.

As for the typical villains with a tragic backstory, I've seen it done quite a lot, usually with contrived reasons for being evil, to a point where I now believe that the pendulum swung the other way and people look upon morally gray villains unfavorably because they expect bad writing. Sturgeon's Law, 90% of any particular genre is shit. No exceptions.

Pixytokisaki14

Half Kitsune Half Succubus
Always the most complex ones. You actually understand and slightly care for what they're doing. A great example is Otto Apocalypse from honkai impact 3rd. He's such a complex character that I can't explain everything in one thread post so I'm going to simplify.

All the things he did, from performing horrific experiments on children, deleting the memories of the original main protagonist, to literally killing off characters if he deemed them not necessary to his plans. It was all so that he could bring back the only person that he'd ever loved, Kallen. That's the basic gist of it. 500 years of waiting for the perfect opportunity to revive someone who died is something extraordinary. That's why he's my favorite written villain when it comes to fiction. He wasn't evil in start, just a sickly boy who wanted to share his inventions to the world.

DaScoot

Best villains: Have a goal that's reasonable from at least their own perspective, and they just happen to be opposed to the protagonists.
Fun villains: Might not have some sort of deep philosophy or noble goal but at least they're having fun being a villain or from enjoying the fruits of their labors.
Boring villains: Bigots such as racists or religious fanatics. One-note, two-dimensional, even when they're realistic. They're just not interesting to read about.
Distasteful villains: The straight-up sociopaths who have literally zero redeeming features and may not even really care themselves about the evil they do.

doravg

107/4001 (bigot towards homophobs)
Definitely someone who knows they are doing wrong, but still do it because they can't accept life as it is anymore.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Complex villain if you want a character.

Simple villain when you just want a hate sink/ target.