Question

ObaSuzu

Aside from ScribbleHub, are there any websites where you can earn profit from writing stories? I can't think of anything where you can do something like that, and I'm curious to know.

LostLibrarian

You can make money directly on webnovel.
There are also some sites who let you hide your chapters so that people need to buy them.

That said, the better route for most webnovel authors is to publish for free on as many sites as possible and open a patreon for advanced chapters or other stuff...

ObaSuzu

You can make money directly on webnovel.
There are also some sites who let you hide your chapters so that people need to buy them.

That said, the better route for most webnovel authors is to publish for free on as many sites as possible and open a patreon for advanced chapters or other stuff...
I see. But I heard that Webnovel's customer service hasn't been satisfactory. Is that true?

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
I see. But I heard that Webnovel's customer service hasn't been satisfactory. Is that true?
If you want your story to belong to them and you’re okay with the possibility of being fired at any time and your story taken over by another writer should you not meet their requirements, then go Webnovel. Oh yeah, if you screw up you may even be required to pay back all the money you received through them, that’s also in the exclusivity contract with them. Also, you’ll only get paid anything if you actually get offered an exclusivity contract after showing some results on their platform to begin with.

Overall the Webnovel exclusivity contract is what’s the most shitty, not the customer service.

Also, certain stuff you write, if it doesn’t align with China’s politics, it will get censored.

There are also times where Webnovel gets audited by the App Store for iOS and Google Play I think and they go and temporarily hide problematic stories so they can’t be found.

Anyway, I personally wouldn’t choose to go the Webnovel exclusivity route. Their numbers are typically faked to act as a carrot on a stick for the unsuspecting. The views you see are not based on a per chapter basis, but rather a per word basis. It’s to give the illusion that they’re more popular than they really are. It follows the mentality of where there is a fire ablaze people are bound to swarm around it.

Either Patreon or Amazon/Kindle Unlimited while posing free chapters across multiple platforms are the most viable routes.

There are other clone sites like Webnovel, but they typically have similar copy paste or at least fairly similar exclusivity contracts. Basically small fry trying to replicate the success of the big fish Webnovel.

Last edited:

ObaSuzu

If you want your story to belong to them and you’re okay with the possibility of being fired at any time and your story taken over by another writer should you not meet their requirements, then go Webnovel. Oh yeah, if you screw up you may even be required to pay back all the money you received through them, that’s also in the exclusivity contract with them. Also, you’ll only get paid anything if you actually get offered an exclusivity contract after showing some results on their platform to begin with.

Overall the Webnovel exclusivity contract is what’s the most shitty, not the customer service.

Also, certain stuff you write, if it doesn’t align with China’s politics, it will get censored.

There are also times where Webnovel gets audited by the App Store for iOS and Google Play I think and they go and temporarily hide problematic stories so they can’t be found.

Anyway, I personally wouldn’t choose to go the Webnovel exclusivity route. Their numbers are typically faked to act as a carrot on a stick for the unsuspecting. The views you see are not based on a per chapter basis, but rather a per word basis. It’s to give the illusion that they’re more popular than they really are. It follows the mentality of where there is a fire ablaze people are bound to swarm around it.

Either Patreon or Amazon/Kindle Unlimited while posing free chapters across multiple platforms are the most viable routes.

There are other clone sites like Webnovel, but they typically have similar copy paste or at least fairly similar exclusivity contracts. Basically small fry trying to replicate the success of the big fish Webnovel.
That makes sense. What is beneficial about Patreon?
If you are looking for readers (scribblehub, webnovel and honeyfeed) are your best choice but you could end up seeing your book on countless sites if you post on webnovel, while scribblehub it's like at the most 5 sites or so. In terms of money scribblehub and honeyfeed have similar layout, to get paid from webnovel you need to have made $200 it is not that easy to achieve if you do not have a strong reader base. I suggest you go with a non-exclusive contract so that you will be able to retain the rights to your book, although in most cases it is easier to reach the $200 mark with an exclusive contract but that will mean giving up all rights to your book. Why I included honeyfeed is because it is favorable to Japanese style writing which I saw is what you write.
I've never heard of Honeyfeed. What can I do there?

EternalSunset0

I've never heard of Honeyfeed. What can I do there?
I haven't created an account, but it seems to be an even more weeb-oriented site than this one. They even have official tie-ups with MAL I think.

To answer your question, I think Wattpad also has paid stories functions.

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
I haven't created an account, but it seems to be an even more weeb-oriented site than this one. They even have official tie-ups with MAL I think.

To answer your question, I think Wattpad also has paid stories functions.
Heard of honeyfeed before but always thought it was much smaller. Guess that was probably around two years ago. I guess a lot changes in that time. But for it to be more weeb-oriented... sounds like my cup of tea lol.

EternalSunset0

Heard of honeyfeed before but always thought it was much smaller. Guess that was probably around two years ago. I guess a lot changes in that time. But for it to be more weeb-oriented... sounds like my cup of tea lol.
It's definitely much smaller, even now. What makes me hesitate in signing up seems to be how cluttery everything looks.

ObaSuzu