Quick question about the "strong language"

SimonZagorski

Sorry if this is the wrong part of the forums to post on, still new and thought this is a good place to ask this question
If one F bomb is dropped in a chapter would that be required to have "strong language" content warning? I didn't see much on the rules regarding strong language.

HelloHound

Hound of hell, lover of girls
I put it there as I both use curse words and descriptions of gross stuff but the definition for strong language eludes me beyond that

Rhaps

Jedi Fae
I only tag my novel as strong language, the readers knew what they signed up for and its their fault for not reading the receipt :)

I already knew my content would have cusses in them and would apeal to certain people. Having cusses is like a filter for me, I call it The Great Filter— what do you mean it had already been used?

Aiyoki

I don't have the Language tag.

Instead I write verbiage such that if someone reading my work feels the need to do so, they can insert the appropriate curse words into their own head wherever I've indicated that a character has cursed.

Example: “Like hell some (Insert your choice curse word here) brat like you can (or here) kill me!” Kregnok cursed

RedHunter2296

Competitive Professional In Being Ignored
That's a good question, which is a very difficult one to answer.

I think it depends on the context and the audience of your novel.

In my case my novel is mainly military, so it is a given that there will be insults. But even so, they are used very sporadically, mainly to reflect the desperation of the protagonist, who is a person with good manners and relaxed, but when things get bad he becomes much more aggressive and authoritarian, you must when he insults his allies to for example reflect that he wants one of his orders to be carried out quickly and directly.

No one has had any problems with the vocabulary.

But then even then some curious things happened with some "special" cases of readers.

for example, my novel is gender reversed, the protagonist is trapped against his will in the body of a girl, but is still identified as a man, well apparently someone got upset when he called an enemy soldier a faggot during combat, in a situation where both were trying to kill each other at any cost.

And later, when the protagonist has an episode of reflection, where he is discussing the situation he is in and he calls himself a faggot as a sign of contempt, everything was fine.

So I don't know what to think anymore.

MintiLime

Unofficial Class President, Author
for example, my novel is gender reversed, the protagonist is trapped against his will in the body of a girl, but is still identified as a man, well apparently someone got upset when he called an enemy soldier a faggot during combat, in a situation where both were trying to kill each other at any cost.

And later, when the protagonist has an episode of reflection, where he is discussing the situation he is in and he calls himself a faggot as a sign of contempt, everything was fine.

Hate yourself not others, only internalized homophobia here /s

SimonZagorski

That's a good question, which is a very difficult one to answer.

I think it depends on the context and the audience of your novel.

In my case my novel is mainly military, so it is a given that there will be insults. But even so, they are used very sporadically, mainly to reflect the desperation of the protagonist, who is a person with good manners and relaxed, but when things get bad he becomes much more aggressive and authoritarian, you must when he insults his allies to for example reflect that he wants one of his orders to be carried out quickly and directly.

No one has had any problems with the vocabulary.

But then even then some curious things happened with some "special" cases of readers.

My audience is aimed more for 16+, and "fuck" is being dropped like this "Ronaele's face drops "OH. FUCK." Part of Ronaele's thoughts weren't mentioned aloud,"
It doesn't have any derogatory terms besides ones made up, like aldivachi meaning rock skinned.