Random thought on LitRPG and Cultivation novels

Succubiome

So I was thinking about how both of these are popular on RR, and the big link I can see between the two of them are that they both focus on creating, discussing, and having plot to some extent revolve around gaining power-- and essentially, by more heavily codifying what power is, they allow a larger textual focus on gaining it.

However, I've only read a couple of cultivation novels and LitRPGs... does this seem accurate to those who've read both?

Vnator

As I see it, what makes litrpg so popular is that it gives characters an immediate and measurable reward for hard work. It's pretty much something that almost never happens in real life so it's practically a means of wish fulfillment. Not that that's a bad thing.

I can't really answer for cultivation though as I haven't read too many of them since I'm not a fan of the genre.

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
So I was thinking about how both of these are popular on RR, and the big link I can see between the two of them are that they both focus on creating, discussing, and having plot to some extent revolve around gaining power-- and essentially, by more heavily codifying what power is, they allow a larger textual focus on gaining it.

However, I've only read a couple of cultivation novels and LitRPGs... does this seem accurate to those who've read both?
This sounds really accurate. I have read LOTS of litRPG and cultivation, and also write one of my own. LitRPG and cultivation both have frameworks for gaining power, and allow people to create all kinds of stories with that type of easily-grabbed progression.

Temple

Webnovels are mainly focused on reader self-insert wish fulfillment. Communities tend to become more homogenized. Take those two together and you'll see that reading sites will eventually become homogenized around certain wish-fulfilment genres.

A good example of this is Inkkit and Royalroadl (there was an 'L' there before at the end). A long time ago, these two sites started at around the same time. They have varied stories. I used to put my first webnovel on both sites. Eventually, Inkkit became more like Wattpad (Romance self-insert wish fulfilment), while RR shifted more to OP MC. This is also due to a conscious decision of the RR Admin. They did this by intentionally not using specific romance genres (like specific pairing tags, etc.) so that RR will not become wattpad. There were ancient debates back then about it, but RR admin shot it down.

As a side note, romance wish fulfillment is huge, and dwarfs all other types of self insert. If RR did not discourage, RR would've been full of romance novels. So, if not romance, then RR went the OP MC route of wish-fulfillment.

In the beginning, RR's OP MC was just fantasy setting. It eventually became more specific to litrpg as years passed. Also probably due to RR starting out as the translation site of Moonlight Sculptor. Wuxiaworld on the other hand started translating Coiling Dragon iirc. Not sure. SH became smutlandia because it's very loose here with the rules, these started as the refuge of those not allowed in RR.

TLDR, webnovels are (generally) going to be reader self-insert. The wish-fulfillment fantasy specific to each site came to be because of their own histories.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
In my 13 CN bookmarks, more than half is a fusion of LitRPG (or system) with cultivation.

Because in the end they are the same thing, MC getting stronger via the power of BS. Some tables are merely number counter, their job is to promote MC to grind because his effort is shown visibly and not going to waste. Some are cheats that allow MC to click click click and level up.

The levels of Qi Condensation, Foundation Building and Golden Elixir (Core) do not matter, they are merely an indicator.

BlackKnightX

LitRPG and cultivation stories fall under the same genre: progression fantasy. Just like its name implies, it's a story that focuses mainly on the progression of the protagonist—mostly from a weakling to an OP, badass mofo. It's based around the concept of "level up" in RPG, which is a highly rewarding experience.

Classic shonen genre actually falls under this category as well. Take Naruto, for example. You already know from the start he's gonna become a Hokage, so every time he gets closer towards that goal, you'll feel rewarded. So is One Piece or Bleach or any other classic shonen.

On the other hand, go pick a well-done movie or two and you'll start to see the pattern—structure—of raising the stress level in the audience throughout the movie and then giving them a big release—catharsis—at the end, thus making them feel good and relaxed. (Kinda like jerking off, honestly.) In progression fantasy, however, the reward comes when you level up your character, which is basically throughout the entire story (think multiple orgasms). That's why it's so addictive.

Last edited:

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
LitRPG and cultivation stories fall under the same genre: progression fantasy. Just like its name implies, it's a story that focuses mainly on the progression of the protagonist—mostly from a weakling to an OP, badass mofo. It's based around the concept of "level up" in RPG, which is a highly rewarding experience.

Classic shonen genre actually falls under this category as well. Take Naruto, for example. You already know from the start he's gonna become a Hokage, so every time he gets closer towards that goal, you'll feel rewarded. So is One Piece or Bleach or any other classic shonen.

On the other hand, go pick a well-done movie or two and you'll start to see the pattern—structure—of raising the stress level in the audience throughout the movie and then giving them a big release—catharsis—at the end, thus making them feel good and relaxed. (Kinda like jerking off, honestly.) In progression fantasy, however, the reward comes when you level up your character, which is basically throughout the entire story (think multiple orgasms). That's why it's so addictive.
Of course @NotaNuffian likes your post. All of those naughty, naughty phrasings… bleck!

Rhaps

Xenophobia Incarnate
I don't really read Cultivation story, they just seem so shallow to me. Just the same boring shit over and over again, and the repetitive themes in formalities isn't my thing. Might just be my prejudice against China, its the country I was taught to hate and despise at a very young age.

Shitting on China is one of my favorite hobby, beside gaslighting and Lego :)

As for LitRPG, as long as it isn't Korean grind logs and not just cool moments, having some actual flavors and plots, then I am fine. Since most LitRPG authors put efforts into being unique in some aspects of the archetype, I don't find many similar LitRPG story that often.

I also have a LitRPG I am working on the side, a story about Judas getting reincarnated into a robot girl in another world. I can understand how much efforts LitRPG authors put into their work, from catergorizing different Skills and having pages of how those Skills work, to thinking of how to synergize them, on top of having the actual story.

As you can see, I am very biased.

Premier

Its Power Fantasy in its purest form.

LitRPG is popular because it doesn't really need to lay a lot of groundwork. Fantasy stories you need to explain magic, you need backstories, you need nations and how people play into them, you need to explain how monsters eat and why they haven't overran the world yet. Lots of work.

LitRPG Isekai it's just a regular guy/girl and they get zapped into an MMO. Does it need to make sense? No, not really, it's a game. It works the way it works because that's how it is. Kill monsters, get special powers. The worldbuilding is easy because you it can be as simple as "That's just the way it works"

This makes it good for people starting out, as the bar is really low to entry. Most people have played an MMO or DnD. It's just that!

RICHIESPIDER505

You are not wrong to say their link but u did how they are connected.The way are connected is that both cultivation and LitRPG both of them use energy though the air and same method to gain power.The different how they gain power LitRPG gain power killing and get exp which is type energy and with exp go somewhere in the body to grow stronger with the help system.The way cultivation is same way but the difference litRPG between them is that cultivation is more pure/stronger way to gain power even without the help the system.The reason why cultivation is Stronger way to gain because it gets rid the impurities in your body and learn from the experience doing urself without a system help.A system is only means assistant u to gain power os don't rely that also reason why some mc are dumb while being OP

ACertainPassingUser

[LitRPG] is like college degree nowadays.

It's mandatory for your story to succeed and gain more popularity international English WebNovel sites, at least against the 20% of other story that doesn't use [LitRPG].

And with [LitRPG] you can be as successful as those 92% of story that use it.

In a way, [LitRPG] is the new Cultivation genre. As now you're cultivating Levels, EXP, and STAT instead of Qi.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
Both are easy ways of instant gratification, a rose by any other name, really.

You can interchange cultivation and exp without anybody noticing. Same with levels and realms, dao is just magic and martial arts are just skills but with way longer names.

In essence you have one genre with split personality where each half tries to delude themselves that they're the only one.

TrojanRabbit

As I see it, what makes litrpg so popular is that it gives characters an immediate and measurable reward for hard work. It's pretty much something that almost never happens in real life so it's practically a means of wish fulfillment. Not that that's a bad thing.

I can't really answer for cultivation though as I haven't read too many of them since I'm not a fan of the genre.
For me, cultivation novels have a draw bc of the steady power climb that starts from nothing and has no end. With enough time and effort almost anyone can become the strongest, which is a lot more satisfying to read than people who just gain abstract amounts of strength or powers to warp reality out of nowhere, for me anyways.