Readers who declare that they're dropping the series they're reading

LostLibrarian

Like everything else, tone is key.

If someone just goes "I hate this, dropped, FU!". Yeah, that helps nobody.

But I also had multiple people dropping stuff who wrote a rather long review in the comments saying why they dropped it (mostly different expectations) and those can be really helpful.

So I would just change the thread title to: "Please readers, don't be assholes!"

Malonymous

I used to be concerned about this kind of feedback when I tried writing serious stories, and it's kind of nice for me posting a silly comedy. Now that I've gotten one of these drop rant comments I thought it was kind of funny seeing someone taking it too seriously and not getting the joke, like c'mon it's not supposed to be that serious! :blob_joy:

But I don't see the appeal of comments that are like, "I'm done. I cannot read more. I have [personal preference] and I don't see the appeal of [trope]. Btw good grammar." :blob_facepalm: That's not exactly constructive criticism that will make authors start rewriting especially if it's just one comment lol

I dunno, that seems kinda silly because instead they could just comment what they didn't like personally and quietly drop the story without making that the focal point. Or is that just what the average reader who comments and drops for personal preferences generally does? :blob_neutral: Maybe the right motto is "tone is key" or "Please readers, don't be assholes!" :blob_sweat:

Last edited:

Aaky

Heh, I don't think I'll ever be able to put that much effort into writing. I just write and publish, with no further editing.

I don't think it's worth it unless you're writing for an actual book you're going to put up on Amazon.
maybe the lack of editing is why your views are dropping. :blob_shade:

DarkGodEM

Book Editor
I'd pay only if you correct everything on your own without me typing a single word. 🙂
Well... yes.
I'm down for it.
$2.5/ch starting from ch1 lol
You don't need to write a single word about chapters you've already posted. That's how it works.

DarkGodEM

Book Editor
If it's just grammar/spelling correction, I'll pass.
Nah, if you allow for it I will also make changes in sentence structures and rewrite necessary sections whenever needed. I'll also take note and help with potential plot-holes and inconsistencies.
Sometimes I can also fill in to further deepen scenarios, locations and descriptions but that costs a little extra and I seldom do that unless hired per bulk of chapters... Takes a lot of time and effort besides the deep involvement with an already established novel ;u;

ForestDweller

Nah, if you allow for it I will also make changes in sentence structures and rewrite necessary sections whenever needed. I'll also take note and help with potential plot-holes and inconsistencies.
Sometimes I can also fill in to further deepen scenarios, locations and descriptions but that costs a little extra and I seldom do that unless hired per bulk of chapters... Takes a lot of time and effort besides the deep involvement with an already established novel ;u;
Alright then. I'll try your service for a chapter. Hit me up in the PMs.

Volatis

This happened to me the other day. Guy went off on a super long tangent and then said how he will no longer be reading my story lol. Internally I'm just like okay....

From what I read its seems best to build up tolerance early lol.

lJeDl

An author here. Dear readers, if you want to drop our series, please do so quietly and don't drop a comment just to tell the whole world that you're doing it. I've got used to it at some point but you might crush the spirit of some newbies. Please and thank you
Yeah... guys who do that are kind of assholes,

I mean if you don't like the novel that you're reading then just don't read it, don't announce to the world that you won't read it anymore. because it would probably dishearten me a bit if a person says that I'm writing shit, which may be true but I wouldn't like you to rub it on my face mate.

Aoibh

Mademoiselle
An author here. Dear readers, if you want to drop our series, please do so quietly and don't drop a comment just to tell the whole world that you're doing it. I've got used to it at some point but you might crush the spirit of some newbies. Please and thank you
Im guilty of this :sweating_profusely:

Cauldrons

The only time I ever say I'm dropping a series if I enjoyed the story at first and was a big fan of it, but then there was a large quality drop that never right's itself, or the story was always passable at best but I knew if the author applied a little more effort the story could improve by league's and them not attempting to do so drove me crazy. I also try and make an effort to let them know what problems I had with the story but more often than not the author has locked themselves into the decision that was ruining the story. (Though I always leave a little note asking other reading to message me if in the future the chapters improved; to this day no one has done either by virtue of them not caring or the story not improving.)

In short, I don't say I'm dropping a story lightly and drop plenty of stories without saying a word about it since it wasn't the fault of the author just my own boredom in those cases.

D

Deleted member 45782

I used to be concerned about this kind of feedback when I tried writing serious stories, and it's kind of nice for me posting a silly comedy. Now that I've gotten one of these drop rant comments I thought it was kind of funny seeing someone taking it too seriously and not getting the joke, like c'mon it's not supposed to be that serious! :blob_joy:

But I don't see the appeal of comments that are like, "I'm done. I cannot read more. I have [personal preference] and I don't see the appeal of [trope]. Btw good grammar." :blob_facepalm: That's not exactly constructive criticism that will make authors start rewriting especially if it's just one comment lol

I dunno, that seems kinda silly because instead they could just comment what they didn't like personally and quietly drop the story without making that the focal point. Or is that just what the average reader who comments and drops for personal preferences generally does? :blob_neutral: Maybe the right motto is "tone is key" or "Please readers, don't be assholes!" :blob_sweat:
Interesting. I won't go out of my way to comment why I'm dropping a series. I think I'll only do that when I'm giving an actual review and thats when I'll be dissecting the flaws of the story and why I reviewed it as such. But unless I'm giving a review, I'll probably comment to point out something and also quietly stop reading it. But if there's something I wanna point out, one of the positive things I tend to fall back on is maybe good grammar or nice smooth flow of the story and how its not so choppy to read lol.

Agree on readers not being assholes and just being rude to authors.

erintesden

Depending on the reader it can be quite cringey.

Like, maybe you made something they didn't like (with reason) and they expressed it politely...

But most of the time they just whine and make a rant out of it. At least I, as a reader, if I stop liking something I just stop reading.

Last edited:

AKnightWithaKnife

I usually comment that I’m dropping a story because I usually write paragraphs for comments on almost Every chapter and sometimes (especially when I’m on RRL) also there was this one story where me and the reader base basically just edited the story using comments