Rebuilding Democracy in Another world

ACertainPassingUser

Is there anyone who's interested in making story with this title ?

I've read some isekai stories and yet nobody is trying to transform the political state of the kingdoms from monarchy into democracy.

What do you think about it as an author ?

Tyranomaster

Guy who writes stuff
Democracy is highly unstable historically. Republics and Democracies tend to devolve into tyranny within a few hundred years. It's also real hard to actually "convince" people to become democratic. It takes big time war most of the time. Any isekai worth it's salt that implements democracy would be guerrilla terrorism to "free the oppressed".

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Monarchy is the only way. :blob_sir:
Dictactors are bad, not when I am the dictator

I've read some isekai stories and yet nobody is trying to transform the political state of the kingdoms from monarchy into democracy.

Because democracy is a failed system, just like all systems that involved humans.

Tempokai

Overworked One
You'd need a dictator who can rule with stability for hundreds of years to make it happen. So, no. Unless it's low fantasy.

Also:
Ah, "Rebuilding Democracy in Another World," the magnum opus of every high fantasy and political theory enthusiast mashed into one, where the absurd meets the aspirational in a quest that's bound to be fraught with more pitfalls than a dungeon crawler's guide to trap detection. Let's dissect this quixotic quest with the kind of enthusiasm reserved for picking apart a politician's promises.

1. **Cultural Clashes and Historical Snafus**: Picture this – our intrepid heroes, armed with the noblest intentions and probably a constitution written in a language no one can read, stepping onto foreign soil. They're about to introduce democracy, a concept as alien to the locals as the idea of a dragon favoring a salad over a medium-rare knight. Expect a smorgasbord of misunderstandings, historical grievances as long as a wizard's beard, and cultural clashes that make a council meeting look like a polite tea party.

2. **Magic vs. Machinery**: In a world where you can solve disputes by turning your opponent into a newt (temporarily, of course), the mechanics of democracy might get a tad... complicated. Imagine trying to implement electronic voting in a place where the most advanced technology is a waterwheel and the local mage can rig the outcome with a flick of his wand. It's like bringing a quill to a gunfight, only the quill is mightier because it's enchanted.

3. **Economic Enigmas and the Gold Standard**: Here's where we introduce capitalism to a society that trades in favors, mythical beasts, and sometimes, actual gold. The economy's about as stable as a goblin on stilts, and you're trying to introduce tax reform? Good luck explaining GDP to a merchant who believes wealth is measured in magic beans and unicorn friendships.

4. **The Tyranny of Literacy**: Ah, literacy, the cornerstone of informed citizenship. Except, in this new world, "informed" might mean knowing which mushrooms won't kill you. Expect voter turnout to be as low as the chances of a troll winning a spelling bee, not for lack of interest, but because the concept of "ballot" bewilderingly sounds like a new type of magical curse.

5. **Monster Rights and Representation**: Sure, humans, elves, and dwarves are all about democracy, but what about the orcs, the goblins, and that suspicious-looking rock in the corner that's actually a golem? If democracy doesn't represent all the people (and sentient creatures), then who's to say it's not just another form of tyranny? Prepare for the Monster Rights movement, complete with protests that make a barbarian horde look like a flash mob.

6. **The Divine Right of Kings vs. The People's Vote**: When the local deity has a direct line to the king, convincing the populace to vote for policy changes becomes a bit more challenging. It's hard to argue with "But the god-king said..." especially when the god-king can smite dissenters with a well-aimed lightning bolt.

7. **Temporal Tumults**: In a world where time-traveling wizards can undo your political progress with a snap of their fingers, maintaining a stable democracy is like trying to teach a dragon veganism – theoretically possible, but riddled with fiery setbacks.

8. **Inter-Dimensional Interference**: Just as you're getting the parliamentary system off the ground, in swaggers an inter-dimensional being with a penchant for chaos and a taste for democracy, as a concept to be devoured rather than implemented. It's the ultimate test of your political acumen, and spoiler alert, the being doesn't vote.

In the end, "Rebuilding Democracy in Another World" is a tale as ambitious as it is fraught with folly, a reminder that the road to democracy, much like the path to Mordor, cannot be walked alone. Nor, for that matter, without expecting the occasional, albeit metaphorical, orc ambush.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World

It is a complicated system beyond the average reader to grasp. So no. :blob_neutral:
Democracy is highly unstable historically. Republics and Democracies tend to devolve into tyranny within a few hundred years. It's also real hard to actually "convince" people to become democratic. It takes big time war most of the time. Any isekai worth it's salt that implements democracy would be guerrilla terrorism to "free the oppressed".
:blob_neutral: As if monarchies have proven otherwise ...

prognastat

We have tried spreading democracy to other parts of our own world? What's our success rate there? Keep in mind that's when an entire nation's efforts are behind it or in some cases multiple nations. When you get Isekai'd you'd be all alone or maybe with a handful of other people from your world who might not want to spread democracy like MC does.

Now imagine doing it in a different world with completely different cultures and if it is anything like most isekai imagine the added inequality magic generally brings to those types of worlds.

You also are an outsider to them and have no knowledge of their culture that you can build off to nudge their culture in the direction of democracy delicately without just causing backlash.

Now you say ok, but my MC got an OP golden finger in his Isekai package so he is stronger than the residents of the world he was moved to so he isn't so easily dismissed by them. Now that isn't sounding very democratic anymore.

Pixytokisaki14

Half Kitsune Half Succubus
Sadly I'm not much into how a country/governments work. I lean more towards the weapons of war we use to kill each other :blob_evil:

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
We have tried spreading democracy to other parts of our own world? What's our success rate there? Keep in mind that's when an entire nation's efforts are behind it or in some cases multiple nations. When you get Isekai'd you'd be all alone or maybe with a handful of other people from your world who might not want to spread democracy like MC does.

Now imagine doing it in a different world with completely different cultures and if it is anything like most isekai imagine the added inequality magic generally brings to those types of worlds.

You also are an outsider to them and have no knowledge of their culture that you can build off to nudge their culture in the direction of democracy delicately without just causing backlash.

Now you say ok, but my MC got an OP golden finger in his Isekai package so he is stronger than the residents of the world he was moved to so he isn't so easily dismissed by them. Now that isn't sounding very democratic anymore.
That is just monarchy/ dictatorship but with extra steps.
I said Monarchy. :blob_sir:
https://www.reddit.com/r/worldbuilding/comments/uk8nqu
To me they are same, one voice to rule over everyone.
We have Helldivers 2 for this.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
A pure democracy will fail.
A republic might be better, but will still fail.

Although to be honest, the starting point would be interesting. America became powerful because the land has a lot of resources and room for growth.

Most isekai lands don’t take place in a desert.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
Make it:

“lesbian vampire democracy in another world” and you will get a lot of readers.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
For all I know, which isn't much, the system can only work when an enemy is present.

It must be real and it can't be impossible to overcome. But it must also not be weak enough to win.

I am going to introduce the Third Reich. TATAKAE.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
I approve of the idea of someone writing this, but everything goes to shit because people buy votes and everything ends in a more brutal dictatorship after the MC ends up killing all the other political factions who keep "breaking the rules".
Devolving to chinese shit in the end.

TotallyHuman

I've seen several. Nothing particularly interesting.