Reviewing: A Rough Sketch.

Alseki.

Laurant Writing Romans.
As I have told before, I like assessing someone's work just as much as writing my own stories (I enjoy the latter slightly more TBH, but it is negligible).

So, I asked whether I could review a few works here. And various inspirational and awesome people here sent me their novels to review. It was an excellent experience reading a diverse range of genres created by people from all walks of life, which contributed to me being a better writer in general with more exposure.

Though I think that I wasn't doing justice while reviewing these works, after all they have so much effort, care, and joy put into them that they at least deserve a proper analysis; mine so far were just a coagulation of unorganized thoughts I had while reading them. When I went through my own reviews, I found myself disagreeing with my views.

So, in an effort to objectify my analysis, I conducted the following ‘Reviewing scheme' that would give a framework for reviewing any given title. I have taken into account various aspects of writing, factors affecting them, and ways in which these can be improved in order to make better works which can express more. On top of that, I have taken the specificity of the ScribbleHub Community into account while making this framework, so as to increase its impact.

The framework is divided into three categories, which themselves have sub-categories and topics. Without any further ado, the three categories comprising the framework are—

# 1) Plot And Execution:

## A) World-Building.
How the world felt and can be improved.

## B) Characters.
How the characters behaved, their believability and why they acted in the way they acted, motive.

## C) Theme Dissection.
Generalization (as in genre-lization), figuring out the uniqueness and tropes of the setting, defining repeated themes and how they belong in the story, fit.

# 2) Literary Analysis.

## A) Grammer And Word Usage.
General grammatical fluency and impact of vocabulary, reasoning behind word choices.

## B) Structure and Flow.
How the basic structure affects story flow.

## C) Narration And Notions.
The general notions of narration and how they interact with each other to enhance a story's suspension of disbelief.

## D) Tone.
Whether it is hitting the mark or not.

# 3 Literary Devices And Special Features.

This section will differ a lot for each story, depending on the purpose, expression, and genre. But a few general things would be—

## A) Conflict.
The drive of the story and its bases.

## B) Retrospective.
Would deal with things like foreshadowing.

## C) Information Validation.
Contradictions, plot holes, ambiguous behaviour, redundancy, etc which can drag the story or harm the setting.

# General Overview And Conclusion:

## Areas Of Improvement.
Where things could be changed for the better.

## Conclusion.
Well, if there is anything else left to say at this point I will perhaps put it here.

-------------

I can see for different stories the framework being completely different, and that's why I am calling it only a basic structure which can be used as a reference tool.

I haven't elaborated on every point exactly because the objectification of such a large array of works is neither feasible nor productive. Therefore, I thought it would be a better exercise to showcase the workings of this framework via an example, which we will be able to objectify effectively and efficiently given its narrower reach into topics.

This will not only allow me to explain the working of the framework but also how it could differ for different titles. Also, it would allow you guys to tell me whether such a description is useful or not, the reason why I am posting this here is to know if this would be considered helpful or not and how this framework can be improved. Basically a feedback on feedbacking.

So, the title I chose for this exercise is Charisma by @TheMonotonePuppet. The reason being its multi-polar property of uniqueness with a generalized structure allows it to be a good sample set. Besides, I really liked it and I reckon more people should read it.

Here is how a review would look—

-----------

# 1) Plot And Execution:

## A) World-Building.

The world-building is the most spectacular thing in this series, as first your expectation coming in are subverted, then your preconceived notions are subverted, then the things you thought the world spelt out to you to be true turn out to not be true, subverting your thoughts, and even subverting truths which seem like the series is explicitly telling.

As this is a first-person narration, the world-building is through the eyes of a specific person. I will discuss why this would matter in a later section.

Subtly building the premises of the world is the best way in my opinion and I enjoy it the most, you are not questioning the intelligence of your readers and letting them figure stuff out. There may be a downfall that the readers might make false untruthful assumptions regarding the world and later get upset when they are broken, but if used corrected they can be turned into powerful plot points. Case in point, AOT.

Some highlights here are how causally they tolerate oppression as if it was normal in their world, and it is. That's why it is normal. Excellent world-building.

## B) Characters.

The protagonist is exuberant and ecstatic, definitely cute and kinda lethargic. We also learn that the protag is sort of careless, a trait preferred by both his behaviours and appearance

The world and character complement each other, it is seen in how they behave, they are complacent yet docile in not so orthodox way. Unable to resist oppression but unwilling to rebel against it as long as their life just works.

I could get into the individual characters here, but I reckon I have said everything important and at this point I am lazy. Though I will at some point in future.

## C) Theme Dissection.

Ah, the theme. I don't wish to misinterpret or spoil here anything important, but imagine Gorege Orwell with intriguing characters. That's basically it, but more.

# 2) Literary Analysis.

The use of passive in the first person does seemed misplaced, and the choice of vocabulary seems questionable. But it is excellent, actually. As you realize that those specific words were meant to reflect the character of the protagonist and every sentence serves a purpose, international or otherwise.

Though the text isn't confusing, it is possible to add more grammatical features to make the speech simpler.

The structuring is fine, though I reckon there is an excessive use of paragraphing. But it is justified considering that most people accessing this story will be doing so in an online medium where shorter paragraphs will make it easier to keep a track, consider using paragraphs when scenes or subjects change.

The first-person narration serves as a dual-bladed sword, one part slashing the personality of the character and the other building world. As I have covered the world-building points and character traits previously already, I will merge these two aspects together and tell the influence of the protagonist's worldview on the reader.

The very subtle exposition of the laws of this world indicates how these aspects of the world are considered to be normal by the average people living in it, creating an atmosphere of tension, for the lack of a better world, in the reader who finds such things unacceptable (hopefully).

## D) Tone.

The tone of the story at the beginning is goofy and over-the-topish. The narration was cheesy and everything seemed overexaggerated (BTW, does anyone realize the irony of 'Overexagerration?' it is literally overexaggerated, just exaggeration would work fine). This is excellent, as it leads to the viewer into believing that the story is actually funsies and lighthearted, but they quickly realize that such is not the case and this was a trap. Though this wasn't exactly one, because we are in first person narration.

This is the worldview of the protagonist. We are in the protag's shoes. It makes perfect sense once you realize that. This is a really good way of introducing a character living in such a world, an aspect I reckon can be utilized further.

Not much here in this segment for this novel, because A) I haven't made it that far to question some of the details and B) I am tired. Same with the general overview and conclusion, since they are more meant to be applied for a more complete story.

-----------------

I assess and review works because it allows me to see the practical applications of the devices authors always use to express their stories, and because I enjoy analyzing. Besides, you guys are cool and write cool stories.

I don't reckon that a review essentially needs to be a thought-provoking introspection of the author's work, even the simple synopsical interpretation of the author's work could give insight to the author on how a person views their work.

I have created this framework specifically with SHF Community in my mind, so it does deviate from normal reviewing frameworks a bit.

I will try and improve my ability to analyse and assess a story further, learning new things and integrating them in my reviews so that both I and the author can improve expression better.

One flaw I can already see in this structure is that I am repeating a lot of things, a better arrangement of structure could reduce that, feel free to suggest one to me.

If you wish to send me one of your amazing stories, feel free to post it on thread #Looking For Insights? I will be trying to review at least one story every 24 hours.

I know there are many experienced reviewing juggernauts amongst our ranks, feel free to suggest improvements. :)

Last edited:

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
As I have told before, I like assessing someone's work just as much as writing my own stories (I enjoy the latter slightly more TBH, but it is negligible).

So, I asked whether I could review a few works here. And various inspirational and awesome people here sent me their novels to review. It was an excellent experience reading a diverse range of genres created by people from all walks of life, which contributed to me being a better writer in general with more exposure.

Though I think that I wasn't doing justice while reviewing these works, after all they have so much effort, care, and joy put into them that they at least deserve a proper analysis; mine so far were just a coagulation of unorganized thoughts I had while reading them. When I went through my own reviews, I found myself disagreeing with my views.

So, in an effort to objectify my analysis, I conducted the following ‘Reviewing scheme' that would give a framework for reviewing any given title. I have taken into account various aspects of writing, factors affecting them, and ways in which these can be improved in order to make better works which can express more. On top of that, I have taken the specificity of the ScribbleHub Community into account while making this framework, so as to increase its impact.

The framework is divided into three categories, which themselves have sub-categories and topics. Without any further ado, the three categories comprising the framework are—

# 1) Plot And Execution:

## A) World-Building.

## B) Characters.
How the characters behaved, their believability and why they acted in the way they acted, motive.

## C) Theme Dissection.
Generalization (as in genre-lization), figuring out the uniqueness and tropes of the setting, defining repeated themes and how they belong in the story, fit.

# 2) Literary Analysis.

General grammatical fluency and impact of vocabulary, reasoning behind word choices.

The general notions of narration and how they interact with each other to enhance a story's suspension of disbelief.

## D) Tone.

This section will differ a lot for each story, depending on the purpose, expression, and genre. But a few general things would be—

## A) Conflict.

## B) Retrospective.

Contradictions, plot holes, ambiguous behaviour, redundancy, etc which can drag the story or harm the setting.

## Areas Of Improvement.

## Conclusion.
Well, if there is anything else left to say at this point I will perhaps put it here.

-------------

I can see for different stories the framework being completely different, and that's why I am calling it only a basic structure which can be used as a reference tool.

I haven't elaborated on every point exactly because the objectification of such a large array of works is neither feasible nor productive. Therefore, I thought it would be a better exercise to showcase the workings of this framework via an example, which we will be able to objectify effectively and efficiently given its narrower reach into topics.

This will not only allow me to explain the working of the framework but also how it could differ for different titles. Also, it would allow you guys to tell me whether such a description is useful or not, the reason why I am posting this here is to know if this would be considered helpful or not and how this framework can be improved. Basically a feedback on feedbacking.

So, the title I chose for this exercise is Charisma by @TheMonotonePuppet. The reason being its multi-polar property of uniqueness with a generalized structure allows it to be a good sample set. Besides, I really liked it and I reckon more people should read it.

-----------

# 1) Plot And Execution:

## A) World-Building.

The world-building is the most spectacular thing in this series, as first your expectation coming in are subverted, then your preconceived notions are subverted, then the things you thought the world spelt out to you to be true turn out to not be true, subverting your thoughts, and even subverting truths which seem like the series is explicitly telling.

As this is a first-person narration, the world-building is through the eyes of a specific person. I will discuss why this would matter in a later section.

Subtly building the premises of the world is the best way in my opinion and I enjoy it the most, you are not questioning the intelligence of your readers and letting them figure stuff out. There may be a downfall that the readers might make false untruthful assumptions regarding the world and later get upset when they are broken, but if used corrected they can be turned into powerful plot points. Case in point, AOT.

Some highlights here are how causally they tolerate oppression as if it was normal in their world, and it is. That's why it is normal. Excellent world-building.

## B) Characters.

The protagonist is exuberant and ecstatic, definitely cute and kinda lethargic. We also learn that the protag is sort of careless, a trait preferred by both his behaviours and appearance

The world and character complement each other, it is seen in how they behave, they are complacent yet docile in not so orthodox way. Unable to resist oppression but unwilling to rebel against it as long as their life just works.

I could get into the individual characters here, but I reckon I have said everything important and at this point I am lazy. Though I will at some point in future.

## C) Theme Dissection.

Ah, the theme. I don't wish to misinterpret or spoil here anything important, but imagine Gorege Orwell with intriguing characters. That's basically it, but more.

# 2) Literary Analysis.

The use of passive in the first person does seemed misplaced, and the choice of vocabulary seems questionable. But it is excellent, actually. As you realize that those specific words were meant to reflect the character of the protagonist and every sentence serves a purpose, international or otherwise.

Though the text isn't confusing, it is possible to add more grammatical features to make the speech simpler.

The structuring is fine, though I reckon there is an excessive use of paragraphing. But it is justified considering that most people accessing this story will be doing so in an online medium where shorter paragraphs will make it easier to keep a track, consider using paragraphs when scenes or subjects change.

The first-person narration serves as a dual-bladed sword, one part slashing the personality of the character and the other building world. As I have covered the world-building points and character traits previously already, I will merge these two aspects together and tell the influence of the protagonist's worldview on the reader.

The very subtle exposition of the laws of this world indicates how these aspects of the world are considered to be normal by the average people living in it, creating an atmosphere of tension, for the lack of a better world, in the reader who finds such things unacceptable (hopefully).

## D) Tone.

The tone of the story at the beginning is goofy and over-the-topish. The narration was cheesy and everything seemed overexaggerated (BTW, does anyone realize the irony of 'Overexagerration?' it is literally overexaggerated, just exaggeration would work fine). This is excellent, as it leads to the viewer into believing that the story is actually funsies and lighthearted, but they quickly realize that such is not the case and this was a trap. Though this wasn't exactly one, because we are in first person narration.

This is the worldview of the protagonist. We are in the protag's shoes. It makes perfect sense once you realize that. This is a really good way of introducing a character living in such a world, an aspect I reckon can be utilized further.

Not much here in this segment for this novel, because A) I haven't made it that far to question some of the details and B) I am tired. Same with the general overview and conclusion, since they are more meant to be applied for a more complete story.

-----------------

I assess and review works because it allows me to see the practical applications of the devices authors always use to express their stories, and because I enjoy analyzing. Besides, you guys are cool and write cool stories.

I don't reckon that a review essentially needs to be a thought-provoking introspection of the author's work, even the simple synopsical interpretation of the author's work could give insight to the author on how a person views their work.

I have created this framework specifically with SHF Community in my mind, so it does deviate from normal reviewing frameworks a bit.

I will try and improve my ability to analyse and assess a story further, learning new things and integrating them in my reviews so that both I and the author can improve expression better.

One flaw I can already see in this structure is that I am repeating a lot of things, a better arrangement of structure could reduce that, feel free to suggest one to me.

If you wish to send me one of your amazing stories, feel free to post it on this thread. I will be trying to review at least one story every 24 hours.

I know there are many experienced reviewing juggernauts amongst our ranks, feel free to suggest improvements. :)
:blob_cookie: Much texty text.

Waterly

Interesting framework. You could add or shorten it in the future. Add a section on dialogue if it is important or take out themes if it is not to the story being reviewed. More importantly, I disagree with Alseki. This is little texty text needs more text!

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!

# 1) Plot And Execution:

## A) World-Building.

## B) Characters.

## C) Theme Dissection.

# 2) Literary Analysis.

## D) Tone.

## A) Conflict.

## B) Retrospective.

## Areas Of Improvement.

## Conclusion.

-------------

-----------

# 1) Plot And Execution:

## A) World-Building.

## B) Characters.

## C) Theme Dissection.

# 2) Literary Analysis.

## D) Tone.

-----------------

If you wish to send me one of your amazing stories, feel free to post it on this thread. I will be trying to review at least one story every 24 hours.

So sweet!!!!!!:blob_teary::blob_teary::blob_teary::blob_melt::blob_melt::blob_melt::love::love::love::blobtaco::blobtaco::blobtaco:It's really nice to have all my literary choices validated in a review that is hella onpoint, seeing the thought I put into it and jotting it all down in a comprehensive analysis. Seeing you appreciate my specific word choices, themes, and world-building methods just... means a lot.:blob_happy::blob_happy::blob_happy::blob_happy::blob_happy:
Also LOL! The irony that 'overexaggeration' exists never crossed my mind once. But that is hilarious!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
So sweet!!!!!!:blob_teary::blob_teary::blob_teary::blob_melt::blob_melt::blob_melt::love::love::love::blobtaco::blobtaco::blobtaco:It's really nice to have all my literary choices validated in a review that is hella onpoint, seeing the thought I put into it and jotting it all down in a comprehensive analysis. Seeing you appreciate my specific word choices, themes, and world-building methods just... means a lot.:blob_happy::blob_happy::blob_happy::blob_happy::blob_happy:
Also LOL! The irony that 'overexaggeration' exists never crossed my mind once. But that is hilarious!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
:blobtaco::blobtaco::blobtaco::blobtaco::blobtaco::blobtaco::blobtaco::blobtaco::blobtaco::blobtaco::blobtaco::blobtaco::blobtaco::blobtaco::blobtaco::blobtaco::blobtaco::blobtaco::blobtaco::blobtaco::blobtaco::blobtaco::blobtaco::blobtaco::blobtaco::blobtaco::blobtaco::blobtaco::blobtaco::blobtaco:

Alseki.

Laurant Writing Romans.
Interesting framework. You could add or shorten it in the future. Add a section on dialogue if it is important or take out themes if it is not to the story being reviewed. More importantly, I disagree with Alseki. This is little texty text needs more text!

Great idea, I was considering adding an additional section on character interaction whenever necessary.

I was afraid if I add any more I would be obligated to add TL;DR section lol.
Woah, a lot of text, but I read them all 😅. If you wanna give mine a shot I’d love it 🙂 Ravenswood

Hey, I have seen your story. I will get to it soon! (definitely within this week).
S

Still trying to improve, thank you for your appreciation.

Yeah, it hit me when I was writing and I knew I had to point it out.

Another cute fella.
Oh! Please do mine, but give me one star!

This is meant to be sarcasm right? My system is bad at human humour XD.

Last edited:

DataNerdX

A framework is good since it focuses your reading and makes sure you don't forget anything. However, I disagree on "objectifying" your feedback. It should be fair, of course, but subjectivity is fine too. It's acceptable for you to like/hate certain aspects of the story because of your own taste. Otherwise, it'll read too much like a checklist of did this, didn't do this.

Wow, another feedback thread. Sign me up for Renalia's Tale.

Alseki.

Laurant Writing Romans.
A framework is good since it focuses your reading and makes sure you don't forget anything. However, I disagree on "objectifying" your feedback. It should be fair, of course, but subjectivity is fine too. It's acceptable for you to like/hate certain aspects of the story because of your own taste. Otherwise, it'll read too much like a checklist of did this, didn't do this.

Wow, another feedback thread. Sign me up for Renalia's Tale.
I agree, though I wished to eliminate biases at the same time. I don't want to upset someone on my behalf.

I just realized why people are suggesting their stories here, because when I wrote ‘this text,' the link did not embed. I was asking them to send it to the previous thread so that I have a compendium there.

Thank you for your suggestion!

HelloHound

Hound of hell, lover of girls
that was an interesting essay about your framework and I have fond memories about the setup (I used a similar method with my past assignments)
My story isn't hefty in any sense of the word but brevity is the source of wit eh?

Anyways I hope you have a decent day and I might check out that charisma story you reviewed when I regain my braincells after sunrise

WaryTiger

Hey Alseki, I'd welcome such comprehensive feedback! Feel free to leave it as a review on the work itself, or even to comment per-chapter if you like the story and want to read more!

Little Bamboo