Romance or nah?

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
Should I give the MC some romance or leave him to his trauma? The MC, the emperor, would be likely meet her at a party for the rich and high ranking lords. She would be a noble because that is a requirement to be the wife of an emperor. The point of adding romance would be to alleviate the MC's internal suffering. It wouldnt have any smut at all, just a regular romance.

The romance would occur approximately a year after the MC won a six year long war that saw millions killed. He would have been isolated and depressed because he lost his sister and several close friends in the war, and the knowledge he sentenced hundreds of thousands of his kin to their doom. At that point, he would be held up solely by his duty to his empire, and would do so mindlessly while empty on the inside.

It might be a good idea to add it because it will give my story and MC a little happiness before he sacrifices himself at the story's end to save his empire and people from a psycho angel. It would also make the lore smoother. I could give the emperor a legitimate child who could claim the throne, which would prevent a succession crisis or power vacuum to occur after the MC's death. I would be treading uncharted territory with writing romance, so it might not pan out well for me. What do the wise ones of SHF think?

IdleYoungMaster

+1 for romance. Based from your story, it should be a dark/heavy-themed one. Adding a romance to it would at least "refresh" your readers and have a break when it comes to these stuff. Chainsaw man is a good example of that as it combines comedy and heavy themes to create a distinct work.
Simply put, it's like "adding MSG to a bland food".
PS: As for you not having any experience with it, that's fine. Since there's no smut, you can focus on making it sweet or diabetes-inducing instead. Some works that I would cite when it comes to romance are SSS-class Suicide Hunter (chapter 94-116) and Ending Maker.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
Rather than meet her after the war... Shouldn't he have a legitimate heir before the war? It's way too scary to get into a conflict without that sense of security. Maybe an arranged marriage, either as the fighting begins and the need arises, or just as a matter of course.

If you really want him to be depressed after the war, you can kill the first wife off (but not the kid). That would easily allow for a true to form 'romance' with some random Lady he met at a ball. Especially if a concerned party introduced them to try and get him to chin-up.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Give him romance that heals him a little bit over time but don't force it. Just decide on which character you want to end up with them and put them together a lot more often or focus on her viewpoints some until something happens.