Royal Road Rating Rant

Beta_Krogoth

I've had more luck with RR's ratings because they actually moderate their ratings and remove incredulous one star no readers. My main story rating has dropped a point because of people bombing it, including one guy who gave it two stars because he didn't fully understand the main character by the end of chapter two. Readers over there are harsher but i've been finding some small success over it.

you need to explicitly ask for reader opinion. repeatedly and consistantly. authors are fragile and are prone to mental breakdowns at the lightest brush with critisim. readers have learned to avoid the headache and just say nothing

melchi

What is a custom title?
Explanation is easy. RR is where they earn money, so they will gladly keep newcomers away. If I'm not mistaken RR visibility relies heavily on your rating. If you have low rating, you won't get as much views, and won't compete with "big bois".
Yeah, I think that you have to get 20 reviews or something for the fiction to be in the pool to get put on trending.

TheKillingAlice

Schinken
I've had more luck with RR's ratings because they actually moderate their ratings and remove incredulous one star no readers. My main story rating has dropped a point because of people bombing it, including one guy who gave it two stars because he didn't fully understand the main character by the end of chapter two. Readers over there are harsher but i've been finding some small success over it.
The thing is, that feeds into my paranoia even more. :blob_blank: Because I didn't mention anything below 2 Star because there is nothing. Even though they show up real fast as soon as my rating goes from 3,9~ to 4,0~ on average, there hasn't been a single one with 1 or 1,5 stars. I always get these 2 or 2,5 ratings, the only 3 star was the one with the super positive review I had mentioned.
you need to explicitly ask for reader opinion. repeatedly and consistantly. authors are fragile and are prone to mental breakdowns at the lightest brush with critisim. readers have learned to avoid the headache and just say nothing
I will try that, also just looked for ways to advertise, as I've never done that on RR.b :blob_cookie:
But to be honest, if I, as an author, get a comment, I will answer and not because I'm hurt, but just because I feel like it's a normal, healthy discussion. But most readers can't take that. It's experience I have from about 10 years ago, when reader interactions were still way more common. Literally any answer is apparently too much, if it's not to comply immediately. Yes, authors can react prickly, but readers mostly believe they are the King wherever they go, so there's that. LOL. As much as you respect them, that needs to be said.
But I still get what you mean anyway. :sweating_profusely: :blob_pout:

I will try that, also just looked for ways to advertise, as I've never done that on RR.b :blob_cookie:
But to be honest, if I, as an author, get a comment, I will answer and not because I'm hurt, but just because I feel like it's a normal, healthy discussion. But most readers can't take that. It's experience I have from about 10 years ago, when reader interactions were still way more common. Literally any answer is apparently too much, if it's not to comply immediately. Yes, authors can react prickly, but readers mostly believe they are the King wherever they go, so there's that. LOL. As much as you respect them, that needs to be said.
But I still get what you mean anyway. :sweating_profusely: :blob_pout:
dunno brotherman. my experience on both sh and rr was very positive. youre treating readers as if they are a hivemind. and i have to say, the way you write (in this thread) is quite unpleasant. it comes off as arrogant and condescending. maybe that's why you're not getting engagement

TheKillingAlice

Schinken
dunno brotherman. my experience on both sh and rr was very positive. youre treating readers as if they are a hivemind. and i have to say, the way you write (in this thread) is quite unpleasant. it comes off as arrogant and condescending. maybe that's why you're not getting engagement
In the first place, I said that because you did the same with authors, though...? At least I said "most", while you went with the literal "authors are", lol. And it's not like I care much, I had people call me that before, but I wouldn't know how that applies to the thread right now? Or to stories, in which I barely ever address readers in the first place. :blob_hmm_two:

Anyway, you do you. :blob_cookie:

ZukoMee

It's the most savage collection of R's, I tell ya.
Anyway, this is a rant, so don't take it too seriously, but I didn't know where else to vent out my frustrations. I put my stories up on Royal Road, because I was told they were very vocal with their criticism and harshly honest. The HH of RR, basically.
But now that I'm there, it's frustrating, if nothing else. I do have two reviews, both of them super positive, mentioning no downsides. One of them ending with "So far, I'm loving it" - Review came in with 3 out of 5 stars.
Kay, but I know it's positive and readers will see it and think so too, so 3 stars is fine to me. It's also not that bad ratings are the majority, it's mainly 4 through 5 stars, with most of them being 5 stars. So it seems to not fall flat completely. But for a few months, whenever there's a new positive rating, a negative one (2 through 3 Stars) pops up right after. They always come together, I'm not even joking. I had 20 ratings until a few days ago. Then it was 22 over night (2 and 5 Stars) and last night, it came up to 24 rating (2 and 5 stars respectively). You can follow it without having any insight, by the overall rating going marginally up and down somewhere around 4 stars.
But anyway, guess what I didn't get? Right, criticism of any kind. The most critical comments I have received was that a character that isn't physically around most of the time, but connected to the MCs mind, was "not adding anything" to the story when randomly chiming in (though he always comes in to give valuable information or make a comment that serves as a situational joke), but though might not be around, he's super important to the story, so what can I do about it? It's also a taste thing, rather than objective criticism. Then there was a person who questioned how a thirteen year old could know about spring cleaning the dorms she had been living in. And when I answered it with all bases of doubt covered why I thought it was a logical thing to know and why I was confused about why they would even question something so basic, I was called aggressive.
Other than that, they mark the occasional typo or grammatical error (like one or two in a chapter, nothing grave, but I do appreciate getting to "clean up" my story, so it's not like I'm sad about it). I'm not saying there can't be anyone who doesn't like my story, nor do I believe that subjective criticism is worthless, but that's just not what I would expect to be worth a 2 star rating.
And if it is, why not say a word? Don't get me wrong, you aren't obliged to say anything when you dislike a story, but if you feel strongly enough about it to rate it, wouldn't that mean you could write down at least three sentences on what was wrong with it in your eyes? That wouldn't just help me gain a better understanding of how the story is viewed by the readers, but also help other readers by telling them what is good and what isn't. They might feel differently about certain things.
For example, someone might not like Harem and review that the Harem had gotten too front and centre (my story isn't harem, for that matter, it's an unrelated example), with the girls in the harem dumbed down after they are collected. But the next reader loves such a setting, so what is pain for one, is pleasing for the other. Same can be turned around as well. I would run if I read something suggesting this as a positive review.
Either way, I'm sure someone will tell me I shouldn't give a shit, because Ratings aren't important anyway and nobody looks at them, but the truth is, I truly thought people would say something on RR. But now there's nothing. Most comments are either what I already mentioned or "Thanks for the Chapter". And when I went on hiatus, someone asked for when the story would continue. I'm not trying to be ungrateful here, I'm always thankful for any type of comment, but I literally have no idea what people actually think about anything in the story and it's been going on for more than 60 chapters.

I don't usually mean to whine, but I want to whine, so I do whine. It's frustrating.
So I'm just over here feeling meh. Humor me and let me whine about it here.

View attachment 28353
Personally, I'm more active on RR than here. I don't comment and only rarely review. Fellow writers made me this way. The last time I left a review, it was a 3.5 and I said both positive and negative things. It ended up being a 3,000+ word review. But, essentially because I wasn't "glowing with praise", they blocked me from commenting or interacting with any of their other works. It's hilarious too because I was part of their Patreon. Was paying 25$ a month. They didn't know it, and I don't advertise that I'm subscribed to someone's work.

I liked it enough to subscribe....but because I didn't metaphorically suck their dick, they removed my ability to do anything. They purposely asked me to review them too. It's not the first time this has happened.

The time before that, the review was a 1,900+ word review scored at 4....but I apparently had the balls to mention how much I despised 2 of their main characters, (they had 4 main characters and I liked the other 2 well enough). They declared me sexist and racist. The two MC's I disliked were female which is apparently criminal to do. Also one was blue-skinned. So I'm racist against aliens I suppose? The other one might've been black, I can't remember. I was spending 30$ on their Patreon.

Needless to say, I don't subscribe to Patreon as freely as I once did. Most don't deserve it.

I now do not interact with authors. In fact, I dislike most of you just on principle despite the fact that many of you probably aren't as bad as these two examples I've given. Writers are some of the pettiest, entitled, self-righteous, pretentious, arrogant, low self-esteemed pricks around. But that's not just writers. That's artists of any kind in general. It takes a certain kind of person to declare themselves artists and then commit to it. It's just how it is. I'm sure more than enough people dislike me and feel the same about me. It is what it is.

Last edited:

TheKillingAlice

Schinken
Personally, I'm more active on RR than here. I don't comment and only rarely review. Fellow writers made me this way. The last time I left a review, it was a 3.5 and I said both positive and negative things. It ended up being a 3,000+ word review. But, essentially because I wasn't "glowing with praise", they blocked me from commenting or interacting with any of their other works. It's hilarious too because I was part of their Patreon. Was paying 25$ a month. They didn't know it, and I don't advertise that I'm subscribed to someone's work.

I liked it enough to subscribe....but because I didn't metaphorically suck their dick, they removed my ability to do anything. They purposely asked me to review them too. It's not the first time this has happened.

The time before that, the review was a 1,900+ word review scored at 4....but I apparently had the balls to mention how much I despised 2 of their main characters, (they had 4 main characters and I liked the other 2 well enough). They declared me sexist and racist. The two MC's I disliked were female which is apparently criminal to do. Also one was blue-skinned. So I'm racist against aliens I suppose? The other one might've been black, I can't remember. I was spending 30$ on their Patreon.

Needless to say, I don't subscribe to Patreon as freely as I once did. Most don't deserve it.

I now do not interact with authors. In fact, I dislike most of you just on principle despite the fact that many of you probably aren't as bad as these two examples I've given. Writers are some of the pettiest, entitled, self-righteous, pretentious, arrogant, low self-esteemed pricks around. But that's not just writers. That's artists of any kind in general. It takes a certain kind of person to declare themselves artists and then commit to it. It's just how it is. I'm sure more than enough people dislike me and feel the same about me. It is what it is.
Well, the patreon thing definitely sounds dickish, not gonna lie. :blob_blank: :blob_popcorn_two:
Even without money involved, blocking someone goes too far.

But just as valid as your experiences, I can give some back. 10 years ago, reader interaction was different on literally all sites. Back then, you had positive and negative feedback and, of course, a whole lot of nonsense as well.
My writing style changed drastically back in the day, because of those exchanges. I even came back to a certain critical review that I answered hilariously immature by stating that some things depend on style and such, telling her sorry and thanking her, because despite saying it's fine she thought like that, since tastes differ or some shit, I actually took the criticism to heart an changed most of it within two months. It's funny when I think about it now.
But I digress. When you do something, no matter what it is, and gain experience on that, not just artists, you will be confident when talking about it. Yet Art as a subject matter is unique in that it still reliably makes you insecure and leaves you feeling insufficient, even when you know you have the basic know-how's. I'm not saying that to make you somehow understand the people you have dealt with, because there's clearly more at large there, I'm saying this to set a base line.
Anyway, I'm someone who always has the last word, I'm quite prideful, I'm aware of that. When I get a review and there's a shit-take in it, I will comment on it. I've never deleted a comment or blocked someone in my life. Maybe I just didn't have to, but that's how it is. So, I had it happen that when I answered a comment and corrected something or simply questioned a certain take or criticism, that I would get the "aggressive", "can't take criticism", "arrogant" card? And without effort in explaining how that is the case, they just gloss over the words I said. That is reader interaction I had.
Example: Someone doesn't understand [thing] after reading up to chapter 5. [Thing] is explained pretty obviously and in a very clear way in chapter 2. I answer, thank them, try to explain and then, well, do the most terrible thing in the world: I suggest they might not have read carefully enough, as they have missed the explanation given by the book. Yeah, well, all hell broke loose, with other readers joining in, not with arguments, but simply "because the author can't take criticism and 3 out of 5 stars aren't even bad, so what are they complaining about?"
Needless to say, I'm still commenting and just came to the conclusion that readers are entitled assholes, who will take for granted that there's people everywhere writing stories for them for free, because writing isn't that hard, right?
Just like me, you have to make the distinction. There have been many readers I have talked to in my life, and of course, the bad ones leave a deeper mark, but they haven't actually made up the biggest part.
In your case, money was involved, so it would hurt considerably more, because you probably liked them a lot. But I ask you: did you ever make a normal comment, hinting at your thoughts before that? I'm not saying to prepare the author or something, but firstly, because you could have given them a chance to better themselves. Or you would have known right away before putting in even more work. To still take my example in, if I were to get a review and there were things I wouldn't get, as you can see, I'm the wordy type, I explain in autistic detail why things are set the way they are. If you can deter that, by actually taking those things into account, my opinion might be changed if I see that your point is reasonable. Of course I wouldn't just change something because one person says it's bad, I would have to literally change my story from the start, in a bad case. But if they answer you, even if you think they might be arrogant, dickish, or as greyblob called me, "condescending" or "unpleasant" - you are there because you read their story, that story won't change because the author isn't a nice pal to be around in a setting where they and their work are put on a scale, but you can take their words for what they are and answer them. If they were someone to block you, they wouldn't answer but delete the comment they felt was unjustified.

That last bit was just a hint, but of course, you don't have to take it. I'm not here to change your life or deter your opinion, because quite frankly, I can't and I have no obligation or incentive to do it either. After all, I'm some author that you despise, lol. But it might be more relaxed to think about it this way - engage with those that you can, and know where you don't have to put in the effort. Or the money.

Anyway, it is what it is, indeed. :blob_cookie:

ZukoMee

But I ask you: did you ever make a normal comment, hinting at your thoughts before that? I'm not saying to prepare the author or something, but firstly, because you could have given them a chance to better themselves.

One of them personally asked for a review. Beyond that, we had spoke a bit on discord.

The other one, I honestly can't remember. It's possible you're right in that I hadn't commented before.

SailusGebel

Yes.

TheKillingAlice

Schinken
One of them personally asked for a review. Beyond that, we had spoke a bit on discord.

The other one, I honestly can't remember. It's possible you're right in that I hadn't commented before.
If they knew about you opinion, they shouldn't have reacted surprised. Mind boggling. It doesn't seem like intelligent life was around when that happened, not gonna lie.
Commenting beforehand, as in testing the waters, usually gives those away that really can't take it.