Schizo knowledge part 2: Kabbalah and Grimoires

CrusadeAgainstFurries

Supreme meme-lord
Last time was really theoretical and dry, but this time it will be a bit more "magical". Anyway, let's just start where we left off.

It would seem inconceivable that there could ever be such thing as Jewish Gnosticism in view of the malicious identification of the Hebrew creator god with the chief archon, Yaldabaoth (I forgot to mention last time that another name besides Samael which is sometimes used, is Demiurge). In effect, the gnostics are calling the god of Jews the devil. Yet many early Gnostic sects were composed of Jewish members. It is often argued, that the Oprhites (early gnostic sect) were basically Jewish rather than Christian.

The Kabbalah has its origins in this Jewish Gnosticism of the third and fourth centuries. The Kabbalistic doctrine of emanations comes from the Gnostics who used to explain how evil could exist in the universe. The Gnostics postulated to a series of successive worlds, each one darker and more gross than the other, through which the light of the supreme deity was progressively made thinner and weaker. In the Kabbalah, this became the ten spheres of the Sepiroth, which are replicated in the four worlds of Atziluh (Archetypal World), Briah (Creative World), Yetzirah (Formative World), and Assiah (Material World).

Also, the complex angelology of the Kabbalah finds its correspondence in the detailed classes of angels and demons assigned by Gnostics to the parts of the human body, the emotions, the elements, the planets, and so on.

In the Kabbalah there exist many names of God and the angels which possess occult powers, and one supreme name rules over all the others, the Tetragrammaton JHVH. In Gnosticism, there are also many names which must be used to achieve specific magical ends such as divination or protection from sickness, and often there is one supreme name that supersedes all the others. In one tradition the ultimate name is Caulacau, for example.

However, the true occult names of God appear to consist of a series of extended vowel sounds that were vocalized through long wailing cries which took the voice through the spectrum of the vowels. The exact pronunciation of the vowel strings can't be known with certainty. Perhaps they were closely guarded occult secrets of the Gnostic sects, even as the true occult pronunciation of the Hebrew JHVH is one of the most secret mysteries of Jewish occultism.

From the beginning, the Kabbalah embraced an esotericism closely akin to the spirit of Gnosticism, one which was not restricted to instruction in the mystical path but also included ideas on demonology, angelology, and magic. This was the Kabbalah Ma'asit or practical Kabbalah, which achieved its maturity much earlier than the Kabbalah iyyunit or speculative Kabbalah. Those who devoted themselves to the practical Kabbalah were foremost seeking an effective system of magic and were only secondary concerned with recondite theological speculations. This is why magic and rites from the Kabbalah are often considered to be effective and powerful compared to other more theoretical occult traditions.

Many grimoires in the medieval age are of Kabbalistic origin, for example, the Zohar or Sefer Raziel HaMalakh ("The book of Raziel the angel").
But more importantly, was the influence it had on the most famous Grimoires like the Key of Solomon. However, unlike later grimoires like The Lesser Key of Solomon, it doesn't mention the signature of the 72 demons constrained by King Salomon in a bronze vessel. Instead, all magic was performed through the power of God.

Here is a pentacle found in the Key of Solomon:

With all that, if you want to have a spoken demon language in your stories, I highly suggest to use Hebrew or base your language upon it, since it will definitely sound demonic. :blob_teehee:

The Lesser Key of Solomon which contains the Ars Goetia is definitely one of the most interesting topics in occultism: How to summon one of the 72 demons for various tasks and many familiar names like Baal, Dantalion, and Malphas which appear in various media.
But that's a topic for another time.

Next time will be about the history of Samael and Lilith, plus some rituals dedicated to Lilith, and how to summon a Succubus or Incubus. I know, I stated I would do it here, but it turned out longer than expected...

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Last time was really theoretical and dry, but this time it will be a bit more "magical". Anyway, let's just start where we left off.

It would seem inconceivable that there could ever be such thing as Jewish Gnosticism in view of the malicious identification of the Hebrew creator god with the chief archon, Yaldabaoth (I forgot to mention last time that another name besides Samael which is sometimes used, is Demiurge). In effect, the gnostics are calling the god of Jews the devil. Yet many early Gnostic sects were composed of Jewish members. It is often argued, that the Oprhites (early gnostic sect) were basically Jewish rather than Christian.

The Kabbalah has its origins in this Jewish Gnosticism of the third and fourth centuries. The Kabbalistic doctrine of emanations comes from the Gnostics who used to explain how evil could exist in the universe. The Gnostics postulated to a series of successive worlds, each one darker and more gross than the other, through which the light of the supreme deity was progressively made thinner and weaker. In the Kabbalah, this became the ten spheres of the Sepiroth, which are replicated in the four worlds of Atziluh (Archetypal World), Briah (Creative World), Yetzirah (Formative World), and Assiah (Material World).

Also, the complex angelology of the Kabbalah finds its correspondence in the detailed classes of angels and demons assigned by Gnostics to the parts of the human body, the emotions, the elements, the planets, and so on.

In the Kabbalah there exist many names of God and the angels which possess occult powers, and one supreme name rules over all the others, the Tetragrammaton JHVH. In Gnosticism, there are also many names which must be used to achieve specific magical ends such as divination or protection from sickness, and often there is one supreme name that supersedes all the others. In one tradition the ultimate name is Caulacau, for example.

However, the true occult names of God appear to consist of a series of extended vowel sounds that were vocalized through long wailing cries which took the voice through the spectrum of the vowels. The exact pronunciation of the vowel strings can't be known with certainty. Perhaps they were closely guarded occult secrets of the Gnostic sects, even as the true occult pronunciation of the Hebrew JHVH is one of the most secret mysteries of Jewish occultism.

From the beginning, the Kabbalah embraced an esotericism closely akin to the spirit of Gnosticism, one which was not restricted to instruction in the mystical path but also included ideas on demonology, angelology, and magic. This was the Kabbalah Ma'asit or practical Kabbalah, which achieved its maturity much earlier than the Kabbalah iyyunit or speculative Kabbalah. Those who devoted themselves to the practical Kabbalah were foremost seeking an effective system of magic and were only secondary concerned with recondite theological speculations. This is why magic and rites from the Kabbalah are often considered to be effective and powerful compared to other more theoretical occult traditions.

Many grimoires in the medieval age are of Kabbalistic origin, for example, the Zohar or Sefer Raziel HaMalakh ("The book of Raziel the angel").
But more importantly, was the influence it had on the most famous Grimoires like the Key of Solomon. However, unlike later grimoires like The Lesser Key of Solomon, it doesn't mention the signature of the 72 demons constrained by King Salomon in a bronze vessel. Instead, all magic was performed through the power of God.

Here is a pentacle found in the Key of Solomon:

With all that, if you want to have a spoken demon language in your stories, I highly suggest to use Hebrew or base your language upon it, since it will definitely sound demonic. :blob_teehee:

The Lesser Key of Solomon which contains the Ars Goetia is definitely one of the most interesting topics in occultism: How to summon one of the 72 demons for various tasks and many familiar names like Baal, Dantalion, and Malphas which appear in various media.
But that's a topic for another time.

Next time will be about the history of Samael and Lilith, plus some rituals dedicated to Lilith, and how to summon a Succubus or Incubus. I know, I stated I would do it here, but it turned out longer than expected...
interestingly enough, i once proposed a magic system based off of the "tree of life" image there, or whatever its called. But i didn't know shit about the lore or history behind it so i just looked at the picture and had a few ideas.

Lets see...(quickly searches through the NU forums) ...ah! here we go:

...So just by reading about the kabbalistic "tree of life" i already kind have an idea about what you can do. Why not base the magic system off of that tree? like make ketar or whatever the highest rank one can reach, and the other's more like titles or ranks. These ranks may tell that a magician or whatever specializes in a certain aspect of magic, or hold a certain level of understanding in the mystic arts and divine beings. You start from the bottom, maybe, and once you understand oen of the sides, like for example you advance from malkhut to yesod, and to advance further you need to understand both netzah and hod to reach the rank of "tiferet". (Please note im just using these words are placeholders, their actual meaning not withstanding) Or understand netzah fully before advancing, or mastering netzah and tiferet before becoming a "chesed". You can have a few variations of how to advance ranks, or like i said make them just be certain aspect of the whole magic system that are specializations rather than ranks, which would work easily if you don't involve real ranks at all except the ranks within each specialized "class" or system of magic

if you go the other way, then only have a few ranks but make each one difficult to reach and needing to have a mastering of all before you reach the rank of "keter" which would be like really rare archmage level shit.

hell you can even change it up, make one side(hod, gevurah,binah) be a theurgical system--meaning a divine being giving you power to do certain spells or whatever, using you as a conduit pretty much--and make the other side magical and autonomous--meaning the more traditional form of magic where you dont rely on a being or outside powers but rather your own inner power. Like cultivation in xianxia novels or something. You know, building you mana capacity and knowledge and then using that to perform magic that directly influences te world, being a closer concept to gods and divine being than the theurgical system but simply much weaker in comparison to them, just having a wider variety of spells handy.

came up with this in ten minutes, may need some details but you get the idea. There's no need to make a clear cut and progressive system, fam.
hm. i still like the idea. i mean i dunno what all those terms mean at all, but as placeholders for ranks or titles or simply the name of that branch of magic, well, i think its interesting. Cuz the actual meanings aside, the terms just sound mystical and cool.

EternalSunset0

Now that's even more like it. Really got me interested because the Kaballah and the Ars Goetia appear in so many series that I enjoy. I have read a bit about them, but it feels so much better to learn a few more things from an article as systematic and well-organized as this.

Magi, Highschool DxD, Date a Live, MegaTen/Persona, Cardfight Vanguard, to name a few. I won't say that the Oriental creators are really too well-read on these but I'd say they at least did a lot of research as far as theme naming goes.