SH making it unfair for some?

BluePheasant

From my observations, when authors publish new series sometimes it stays on the front page almost the whole day, and sometimes it stays for like 1 or 2 hours. Why does that happen? Because mods don't stay active? For some reason, I don't think it's because no other series was published that whole day. Or am I wrong? And if I ain't wrong, Isn't it really unfair for those novels that can't stay on the front page longer like the others?

Amok

grblbrbl
no system is ever fair, there are too many moving variables. scribhub is not unfair in my experience tho, and as with any system where the freedom of the majority is a factor, a certain amount of interpersonal injustice is to be expected. the only counter to this is authoritarianism, which in my view is worse.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
It's not exactly unfair. In fact, it's probably the fairest site when it comes to making sure that stories receive views and such. It's just that it was posted at an inopportune time. No one can really guess when the best time to upload would be so it's all about the luck of the draw.

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite
From my observations, when authors publish new series sometimes it stays on the front page almost the whole day, and sometimes it stays for like 1 or 2 hours. Why does that happen? Because mods don't stay active? For some reason, I don't think it's because no other series was published that whole day. Or am I wrong? And if I ain't wrong, Isn't it really unfair for those novels that can't stay on the front page longer like the others?

It is irrelevant, most traffic most likely comes from NU anyways. So best featuring you can get is on NU

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
A series stays on the "Latest Series" part of the front page for as long as there are less than 8 series that are newer than it... >.>

It's not unfair. It's just that it's a bit luck-dependent to stay there for a long time.

BluePheasant

It happens because there is only one person who manually checks every novel. Tony. So, if Tony is still alone, the time a novel gets on the latest series depends on how cluttered the queue is.
That is unfortunate indeed.
It's not exactly unfair. In fact, it's probably the fairest site when it comes to making sure that stories receive views and such. It's just that it was posted at an inopportune time. No one can really guess when the best time to upload would be so it's all about the luck of the draw.
I believe that too.
if it helps: I rarely ever look at latest series, because there is a very high chance those stories get dropped before they ever reach chapter 20
Lots of others do. But I guess it helps.
It's the easiest site to get noticed if you update often.
That is true from my experience too.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
That is true from my experience too.
I've decided I'm going to write out my story in it's entirety and just release back on SH it all at once... I just don't know how long it will take. The only thing I'd say is unfair is the review/rating swaps because newer users who don't have establish connections are going to be shot down in the ratings game... unless they write GB GL and maybe smut or ecchi with it.

It's still not a big issue overall though.

BluePheasant

It is irrelevant, most traffic most likely comes from NU anyways. So best featuring you can get is on NU
I don't think it's completely irrelevant. A good start is a thing you see. So think about this~ a novel uploaded its first chapter and bcz it was on the front page for a long time, it gained more early readers. So when he starts publishing new chapters and ppl find it from new updates, they gonna see that this new thing has lots of readers having just 1 or 2 chapters, which is way more than other new ones. Then he is gonna think it must be well written and good story. So he will be tempted to give it a try.
A series stays on the "Latest Series" part of the front page for as long as there are less than 8 series that are newer than it... >.>

It's not unfair. It's just that it's a bit luck-dependent to stay there for a long time.
I wonder if that's true tho...
I've decided I'm going to write out my story in it's entirety and just release back on SH it all at once... I just don't know how long it will take. The only thing I'd say is unfair is the review/rating swaps because newer users who don't have establish connections are going to be shot down in the ratings game... unless they write GB GL and maybe smut or ecchi with it.

It's still not a big issue overall though.
But is it a good idea to post all at the same time?

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
I wonder if that's true tho...
It is true. It is as simple as that.

The 8 newest series stay in "Latest Series". Whenever a new series is released, the oldest of the 8 series available is removed from the list.

That's just how the system works. There is no magical criteria behind what is and isn't on latest series. It's just the 8 newest series.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
But is it a good idea to post all at the same time?
Depends on your goal. If you want to get noticed then no it isn't. You should post at different times to try to get on the front page in different timezones. I did a lot of experimenting before and @Paul_Tromba also has his theories on this. I'm not interested in it being 'noticed' but more interested in putting the right tags to find people who are more like me. People who hate the NTR tags won't have to see it on the front page.

BluePheasant

It is true. It is as simple as that.

The 8 newest series stay in "Latest Series". Whenever a new series is released, the oldest of the 8 series available is removed from the list.

That's just how the system works. There is no magical criteria behind what is and isn't on latest series. It's just the 8 newest series.
Then how does it get pushed back 1 to 9 one by one over time sometimes? If it happens like you said, then that doesn't make sense..
Btw my goal isn't here to show SH as bad here. I also love all the other system this site offers. But this here seemed a little unfair. And im concerned bcz I like this site.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
Then how does it get pushed back 1 to 9 one by one over time sometimes? If it happens like you said, then that doesn't make sense..
I think it was already explained. Only a few persons are approving and they might approve 1 or more at the same time. I guess if they did 9 then your novel would never be on new series page. It's possible.

I guess if you really wanted to take note of when new novels suddenly show up you can figure out what time of day they do approving and try to release a new one right when they're about to start so it'll stay up there longer. You can also measure times in between approvals as well... but I don't think anyone has time to do that.

BluePheasant

Depends on your goal. If you want to get noticed then no it isn't. You should post at different times to try to get on the front page in different timezones. I did a lot of experimenting before and @Paul_Tromba also has his theories on this. I'm not interested in it being 'noticed' but more interested in putting the right tags to find people who are more like me. People who hate the NTR tags won't have to see it on the front page.
Ah I see... I understand your point of view.
I think it was already explained. Only a few persons are approving and they might approve 1 or more at the same time. I guess if they did 9 then your novel would never be on new series page. It's possible.

I guess if you really wanted to take note of when new novels suddenly show up you can figure out what time of day they do approving and try to release a new one right when they're about to start so it'll stay up there longer. You can also measure times in between approvals as well... but I don't think anyone has time to do that.
Yes I got that. Here I was just trying to make alice understand that she/he is not entirely right.

And you are right. If I can take advantage of it, I should, right? It'd be great if I knew how tho xD