SH User Count?

ShinUon

How large is the user base for ScribbleHub? I was doing some series searches and sorting by readers and reviews and was surprised how low the numbers were. The most readers any series has is ~3.9K and the most reviews any series has is ~30.

I checked two other sites for reference:
  • NovelUpdates has about 10x those numbers (25K max readers per series, ~400 max reviews per series)
  • RoyalRoad has about about 4x those (~14K max readers per series, ~200-300 max reviews per series)

I'm not sure what percentage the max readers would represent of the total user count, but I was still really surprised by those numbers. Is the user base/readership at SH actually quite low?

NotYourTypicalMan

Exhausted Member
Annotation 2020-09-05 132502.jpg

ChronicleCrawler

♠ItCrawls♠
How large is the user base for ScribbleHub? I was doing some series searches and sorting by readers and reviews and was surprised how low the numbers were. The most readers any series has is ~3.9K and the most reviews any series has is ~30.

I checked two other sites for reference:
  • NovelUpdates has about 10x those numbers (25K max readers per series, ~400 max reviews per series)
  • RoyalRoad has about about 4x those (~14K max readers per series, ~200-300 max reviews per series)

I'm not sure what percentage the max readers would represent of the total user count, but I was still really surprised by those numbers. Is the user base/readership at SH actually quite low?
SH is still quite young by literal standards. 1 year and 9 months. Regarding the reviews, were are indeed on the low side. I also have my novels in RR, they use badges to encourage the readers to post reviews and comments. So far, I see it as effective - I heard the news about SH getting ready for this... once Tony gets the time for it. The same goes for Web novels - which splurged money in promoting its site in social media like FB and encourage comments and reviews by giving readers spirit coins. NU, on the other hand, is an ancient figurehead, it has been there since I can remember. Mehehe.

Arielus

Scribble hub is big in my eyes and seems on a path to growth
I was around when RR was young and tiny much like SH and it seems to be going down the same path with a slightly different focus in story types comparatively
Never have I seen so much Yuri BL and gender bender on Royal road
Threw me off since I never really saw so much at once I'm liking it though shows stuffs changing
Novel updates however has always been this massive thing from when I started using it years ago like some kind of ancient senior cultivator providing a mountain for us poor saps
Scribble hub seems like it's growing pretty fast in the time I have used it so far already there is big story's that tend to draw readers to it so it doesn't seem like it will stall anytime soon

Suzumiya

For what it's worth, I found Scribble Hub before I found either Royal Road or Web Novel.

I think the site devs are doing a good job growing the site, and I feel it has a healthier base than either of the other two sites.

I wonder though if the site devs would move to a 6 star component-based rating system.

Kaguro

It is no secret SC is a smaller site than both of those.

As far as growth goes that's something site admins would need to speak on.

MasterHiatus

I am back
To be honest, I am surprised when I started reading this thread. I discovered webnovel first and to be honest again, I feel like SH has a better atmosphere when it comes to writing. I don't even know why.

:blob_okay:

Stratothrax

I'm not sure I'd put novelupdates in the same category as royal road and scribblehub since it is translated asian novels only, webnovel would be a
better comparison, afaik its by far the biggest site by a wide margin although it's also fairly disliked because of their sketchy practises.

ChronicleCrawler

♠ItCrawls♠
I'm not sure I'd put novelupdates in the same category as royal road and scribblehub since it is translated asian novels only, webnovel would be a
better comparison, afaik its by far the biggest site by a wide margin although it's also fairly disliked because of their sketchy practises.
Quite true. Comparing aside, I like that shiny thing on your signature. Imma get a look at it later.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Those are actually some pretty impressive numbers given how long SU has been around. I think this site is wonderful :blob_party:

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Dude, SH launched like... last year.

Yeah, the userbase is low compared to NU and RR which have been around for like... what, 10+ years between them give or take?
NU was released late 2015.
For what it's worth, I found Scribble Hub before I found either Royal Road or Web Novel.

I think the site devs are doing a good job growing the site, and I feel it has a healthier base than either of the other two sites.

I wonder though if the site devs would move to a 6 star component-based rating system.
Tony has no intention of changing the rating system unless someone can convince him that there will be a considerable improvement to the system that would warrant actually making any change (Which would also imply all previous ratings become pointless).

It'll most likely remain as a 5* system forever.

Suikeina

I was around when RR was young and tiny much like SH and it seems to be going down the same path with a slightly different focus in story types comparatively
Never have I seen so much Yuri BL and gender bender on Royal road
Threw me off since I never really saw so much at once I'm liking it though shows stuffs changing

SH seems like it has so much bl/gl and gb stuff on it compared to RR, but RR actually has more of those particular genres on it than SH does, its been around a lot longer. You have to look for them, but they're there. Here though? It's all on the front page. LGBTQ stories also seems to be more encouraged here for some reason. I suppose we just have a less toxic community? I'm not entirely sure. Regardless, that's one thing I love about this site.

A lot of lgbtq authors migrated here from many other sites. Including RR. With RR having so many ads, it stifles a lot of creative freedom because anything that could even be seen as "controversial" can be a turn off for advertisers. I follow a few authors here that migrated from RR because of the issues they were having with RR's administration.

36.7k users though, at least just on the forums. More than I thought honestly. :blob_sir:

Suzumiya

NU was released late 2015.

Tony has no intention of changing the rating system unless someone can convince him that there will be a considerable improvement to the system that would warrant actually making any change (Which would also imply all previous ratings become pointless).

It'll most likely remain as a 5* system forever.
That makes sense. Web development isn't cheap!

Nyan_sempai

,✨ ILLUSTRATOR ✨
Dude, SH launched like... last year.

Yeah, the userbase is low compared to NU and RR which have been around for like... what, 10+ years between them give or take?
.... It has been five years since nu has been around