Should I put THE SEX in my work?

Viator

Wandering Moon that conceals the tide
It depends on what you want image-wise I think. On the one hand you might get a temporary boost of readership for putting sex in your novel (on this site in particular.) On the other hand, novels with smut are almost never taken too seriously in the world at large. The image of your work itself takes a hit and is usually relegated to the "lesser" category of art form. You will get an audience looking for the sex but little else. People will likely see your novel as a novelty, but it will be hard to break that past that into serious consideration. Not saying it can't be done, and it has been, but it largely depends on what you want, and how you want your novel to be seen.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
If you want to put sex in your work, you need to put the work into your sex.

What I mean is, does it make sense? Does it push the plot. I have sex that I skip over because the part I skip over doesn't push the plot, but when the sex does push the plot, I include it. Just including sex for no point that doesn't include consequences will get you nowhere.

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
I'm pondering very hard.

I hear in Scribble Hub, it's what sells and what attracts the big audience (relative to the site's size anyways), yet at the same time, I hear it's subtly suppressed by the system.

Which makes me wonder - should I include it? People doing the fucking.

Like, I can write it but I can live without writing it. Also my work already does have some ecchi elements like naked people being naked, which makes me wonder if it makes the jump more worth it.
I don't know. Maybe if you're calling it "THE SEX", you should wait a few years.

LunaSoltaer

Spicy Transbian
As with all writing, dont do something just because you think someone else will like it. You have to tell a story thats yours or you will burn out.

What I've done so far is I have one sex scene in my work, and that scene is disclaimered to hell, isolated to its own chapter and I have written guidance to skip the chapter and move on if it's not to your liking.

Standard advice would have been to leave it out entirely, and I might for a rewrite, but that's not my speedbump chapter and I know its not because people are falling off in Chapter 1 and Prologue, and the people past that chapter who didnt vanish because of my hiatus are still reading, which is honestly more than I can ask for (but i want go ask for more.... avarice is a bitch)