Should I put THE SEX in my work?

YatagarasuStudios

I'm pondering very hard.

I hear in Scribble Hub, it's what sells and what attracts the big audience (relative to the site's size anyways), yet at the same time, I hear it's subtly suppressed by the system.

Which makes me wonder - should I include it? People doing the fucking.

Like, I can write it but I can live without writing it. Also my work already does have some ecchi elements like naked people being naked, which makes me wonder if it makes the jump more worth it.

Gryphon

The One who has the Eyes
Don't unless your story needs it for whatever reason. An out of nowhere sex scene that doesn't fit with anything else in your story is jarring and some people will just outright skip it if they're reading for the story instead of smut elements.

Maldrasen

Well, this is a a dirty old man's option, but I won't read anything that doesn't have at least some of the sex. Personally I'd rather a story have completely random and unnecessary sex coming out of nowhere than have no sex at all.

Empyrea

Dense Writer of Lewd
If it's not needed for your story and you don't care either way, then leave it out. It will let you post your work more places with stricter guidelines, thus increasing your viewership. If you actually like writing the lewd scenes then do that, but stories don't get tons of viewership on SH just from having it somewhere in between a plot.

avaseofpeonies

your cool weird auntie
As a writer of the sex, I can attest that it will not guarantee you readers. What will happen, though, is that the few readers you get will read your smut chapters over and over and over... either that or you'll gets lots of readers dropping in just to read your smut chapters. Who needs context?

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
Smut readers are the most difficult to please out of all readers, unless you stick to vanilla smut that they all like.

You’re better off focusing on plot and characters.

Premier

Smut readers expect consistent smut. If you just do it as a one off you won't really get the audience and you'll lose people who don't like it.

Build the story round the smut or leave it out.

Speedwagon889

You have three options:
1) Include it sparingly but make it tasteful
2) Include it all the fucking time and make sure you advertise it as such
3) Don't do it

Me, the dumbass that I am am not following any of these rules. I've been including it when I feel like it, and when it's too out of place for the story and/or I don't feel like it, I won't put it in. Like other people have said, having it vs not having it will attract different types of readers. My story's smut chapters are far more popular than the ones without because fuck context amirite? So you'll get some clicks just because you've got the nasty in it, but tbh those aren't really the clicks you want

J_Chemist

As the others have mentioned- I encourage you to not. While the term "sex sells" is literally real life on SmutHub, that also means it's scrutinized here and if you fuck it up, then I hope you have an iron soul because the backlash will be real.

But, I don't think you should leave it out either. I plan to include it in my novel as well but make sure it's planned and makes sense. Don't just stuff it in there because you want to as it really comes off as you just wanting to write smut. If that's the angle of your story, though, then full send. But if I'm reading an MMORPG kind of novel with lots of combat, dungeon crawling, and overall decent character growth, I'd rather not suddenly have to deal with goblin sex or the MC banging his party member. It's off putting.

Trisna

If not needed then don't. Ecchi novel is e ecchi novel not smut, unless it is necessary for development.

Well if you want to write some scene then make side story or extra chapter.