Show, Don't Tell is Bad Advice: How to Balance Telling

Story_Marc

Share your fun!
Full disclosure: While I dislike citing "show, don't tell" as advice, I also dislike ignoring its wisdom. It's all a balancing act that depends on pacing, among other things. I've often told people this stuff when I work with them more closely, but I haven't had the chance to go in-depth with it until now. I want to pass this along to you as well since it might be the seed you need for growth.

melchi

What is a custom title?
Trying to look at the block of text and listen to voice is difficult for slow me.

Story_Marc

Share your fun!
Trying to look at the block of text and listen to voice is difficult for slow me.
Yeah, that's something I've been thinking about recently... In this case, I wanted to give examples for people to refer to/go back over at their leisure after knowing what the actual lesson is. I could read out every example or so on, but my concern is stuff being too long since, well, I value people's time.

Though if you think I should read out more and make it longer, I'm certainly willing to consider it! Or any other suggestion, as I've been thinking about how to balance showcasing the actual prose and narrating in as quick a fashion as possible.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
Yeah, that's something I've been thinking about recently... In this case, I wanted to give examples for people to refer to/go back over at their leisure after knowing what the actual lesson is. I could read out every example or so on, but my concern is stuff being too long since, well, I value people's time.

Though if you think I should read out more and make it longer, I'm certainly willing to consider it! Or any other suggestion, as I've been thinking about how to balance showcasing the actual prose and narrating in as quick a fashion as possible.
I rather like the way you did it. If I needed more time to read I can go back and pause, but the video flows nicer this way. (IMO)

melchi

What is a custom title?

Longer video or less examples seems to be the only options? It could just be me though. I could just pause and read the example but, lazy.

Iamnotabot

Bot of [PAUL]
Full disclosure: While I dislike citing "show, don't tell" as advice, I also dislike ignoring its wisdom. It's all a balancing act that depends on pacing, among other things. I've often told people this stuff when I work with them more closely, but I haven't had the chance to go in-depth with it until now. I want to pass this along to you as well since it might be the seed you need for growth.

Another hit, great job.

And by hit i mean it hit me to sleep.

Story_Marc

Share your fun!
Longer video or less examples seems to be the only options? It could just be me though. I could just pause and read the example but, lazy.
I mean, it could be, but I'm not going to write you off. Your reaction is one I've read about in fact when studying how to use Powerpoint better and it's something I've worried about. Since I want to make stuff informative for people, but I also don't want to demand the same amount of time other people often do. It's why you don't see 20-minute videos from me and I seldom go over 10 minutes, despite the fact I clearly could drag stuff out if I wanted.

But yeah, the longer video option would be because I'd need the time to adjust things for those who want to take things in with one watch and that's that. I wouldn't ever do less examples option though since, well, it helps to actually see what I'm talking about.

Like, take instance #7. I could totally just explain that, but it doesn't make as much sense if you can't see someone actually doing it. Or with how you can compress time and The Dresden Files example I used, which comes from Chapter 1 of Cold Days. I considered looking for another example from a different book, but I'm (ironically) strapped for time when making these, so I went with the first example that came to mind. The drawback of making these weekly. :LOL: It's, ironically, a balancing act in itself. With that said...
I rather like the way you did it. If I needed more time to read I can go back and pause, but the video flows nicer this way. (IMO)
...I am glad to hear this! XD It, like most things with this channel, is a work in progress, so good to know when stuff is working for someone.

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
I think the context of that advice is of the upmost importance. It gets spouted so much because new authors and inexperienced authors tell wayyyyy too much. At the point where you're having a conversation with someone about the merits between the two, you're probably already speaking to an experienced writer who at least understands the basics.

I'm not sure if I've ever seen someone over show.

Story_Marc

Share your fun!
I think the context of that advice is of the upmost importance. It gets spouted so much because new authors and inexperienced authors tell wayyyyy too much. At the point where you're having a conversation with someone about the merits between the two, you're probably already speaking to an experienced writer who at least understands the basics.

I'm not sure if I've ever seen someone over show.
In my experience, the advice to "show, don't tell" is often repeated without those who say it truly understanding it. Now, I agree that finding balance between showing and telling takes skill and practice. My issue is the parroting of the phrase. It doesn't teach writers how to approach it with any tact. It doesn't even encourage tact at all.

Also, I've seen it overdone by people who don't understand pacing, which can make the writing tedious and slow. It's important for writers to know when to tell instead of show to keep the pacing engaging.

Finally, for the record of anybody who wants my completed lesson, here's me discussing the showing side much more.

I also have one where I discuss narrative distance if want to know more on how to combine the two and I've some other stuff in mind in the future to simplify a lot of things for people.
Another hit, great job.

And by hit i mean it hit me to sleep.
...Can't tell if you mean my voice is soothing or if you find the video boring... Either way, glad to help? :LOL:
I always watch your videos, and found that I'm already doing some of the advice you gave. The others, it helped my writing improve.
This got me thinking about how I love when someone hits something I've been doing or subconsciously realized, but never really thought about. Something about making it conscious helps me out big time. Regardless, glad it can help!
Marc is the hero we need but don't deserve.
Eh, everybody deserves a helping hand! :s_smile:

Besides, I need more people to get better. :ROFLMAO: I've seen or met so many people with such wonderful ideas that they just couldn't communicate. It drives me mad since I often know how to bridge the gap because I horde knowledge.

Last edited:

Iamnotabot

Bot of [PAUL]
Can't tell if you mean my voice is soothing or if you find the video boring... Either way, glad to help
It is most informitive since i am also writting, it just so happen that everytime you upload i found myself a good opportunity to sleep.

Then i'll go back to watching once i'm up. :sweat_smile: