So about web novels, from a newbie...

JunKyoya

So a quick question. I've read several web novels (translated from Japanese versions) and it seems that there is usually a release schedule (at least for the ones that don't need translation from another language).
This isn't my first time writing something, but it would be my first time releasing it in public. Straight up, I don't think that I can keep to a strict release schedule. Also, what I'm working on is pretty much a big work in progress. So, for example, I might be like writing chapter 10 but chapter 1 still has missing details where I might literally have something like (insert here) in the writing. I don't think it's going away any time soon.
My eventual goal is, once I've finished writing and posting it on here, and after I feel it's been polished, to consider publishing it as an ebook. (seeing it as an anime is a total side project, but, anyways...)
I'm basically posting on here to get help polishing it, maybe get a sense of "am I thinking straight" by bouncing my writing off of others (basically not just reading it myself) and seeing if people are interested in what I write.
So, uh, is that fine?

feirut

Of course it's fine. You can release whenever you want. But the question there is reader retention. Retention depends if the story is interesting, but a set schedule keeps that interest in check.

Besides, most people post their pre-polished/ unpolished work here for feedbacks and further improvements--sometimes just for fun. They then re-write/re-edit it for the official publication. But then again, if it's a self-published epub/pdf, the decision lies in you.

Ispheria

Staff member
You can also always ask for feedback in the forums or the #workshop channel in the discord

tak

Straight up, I don't think that I can keep to a strict release schedule.
scheduled is better, but something is better than nothing. Webnovel is usually famous for fast pace update, but watered-down plot / quality. If you want to focus on quality, hiatus is fine.

So, for example, I might be like writing chapter 10 but chapter 1 still has missing details where I might literally have something like (insert here) in the writing.
that might mess up the chapter release dates or order on SH. Not sure.

I'm basically posting on here to get help polishing it
totally fine, but i am a chill reader whose brain usually goes off when reading, so my comment is usually "A is so cute!" "Lol i misread that" "ugh B is so annoying! Author, change the otp CxD!" And other brainless comment. There may be more readers like me, so beware...

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
Ai-chan would love to make scheduled release, but Ai-chan is one of those who are so busy working and usually too tired to do any writing after work.

As for writing chapter 10 with chapter 1 still missing details, it's fine to make edits. Just inform your readers that you added additional details in your chapter 1. This is a web novel, not professionally published work. There is no excuse for professionally published work.

JunKyoya

As for writing chapter 10 with chapter 1 still missing details, it's fine to make edits. Just inform your readers that you added additional details in your chapter 1. This is a web novel, not professionally published work. There is no excuse for professionally published work.

Yeah about this. How would I add the notification in?

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
Yeah about this. How would I add the notification in?
In the toolbar of the chapter editor, you know, the part with all the bold, italics and links button? At the far right, you will see some weird buttons, "Insert Spoiler", "Insert Announcement", "Insert Author Notes"and "Add A Footnote".

If you insert a spoiler, your texts inside the spoiler will be hidden. Announcement and Author Notes are practically the same visual-wise, it's up to you which one you want to use to inform others about the changes in the earlier chapters. Never tried footnote yet, but Ai-chan guesses it's those snippets at the bottom of the chapter that explain terms and scenes in the chapter.

If you want to have a look at how it appears if you use Author Note, look here:

If you want to have a look at how it appears if you use Announcement, look here:

Or you can just add a comment of your own in the comment section. But some people probably won't like that. Ai-chan doesn't know, up to you how you want to do it.

tak

Never tried footnote yet, but Ai-chan guesses it's those snippets at the bottom of the chapter that explain terms and scenes in the chapter.
i used it, footnote is below the paragraph