So as a fellow author

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Why did ya’ll pick up writing?
I was on the beach and I wanted to show off my muscles. After picking up Writing, I pumped it a few times then kicked sand in some 90 pound weakling's face.
And second question why do you prefer the genre you’re currently written?
Because I actually am a transmigrator who Isekai's into this world. It helps to pass the time.
Third and final question, would you ever branch out into a different genre?
Like Fiction? Nahhhhh...

BlissyMKW

1. I don't remember the exact reason, but currently, it's "because I wanted to...even though I tend to slack off."
2. Because I like fantasy and action.
3. Unlikely, as most genres I wouldn't touch, I either don't like at all or feel I wouldn't do it justice.

Pixytokisaki14

Half Kitsune Half Succubus
1. Wanted to make my own unique spin on things. (Started with cringe fanfics)
2. To be able to write something that everyone enjoys.
3. To finally get some sleep after story ideas keep me up awake up night for months on end. :blob_blank:

sm_yesa

Why did ya’ll pick up writing?
I honestly am craving so much to read amazing stories but sadly I ended up reading hundreds of good to becoming trash stories or the stories is not my thing, tired of looking for more series I decided I'm just gonna write what I was looking for in the story and so I started writing.

why do you prefer the genre you’re currently written?
I honestly am more into realistic stories but my story was influence by lot of series I love which is Aot, silent voice, dr.stone and promise Neverland which is mostly mystery and I just found out I love mystery and a story that makes you fell something.
would you ever branch out into a different genre?
I honestly like fantasy but I don't see myself becoming one fellow fantasy writer, if I'm going to get into something new, it would be wholesome nsfw Manga/webtoon

C_P_Tuck

Every great story needs an author
Why did ya’ll pick up writing? And second question why do you prefer the genre you’re currently written? Third and final question, would you ever branch out into a different genre?
-
1) I got bored and wanted something else.
2) It was what I read when I got into books.
3) I have, and continue to do so.
1. I got so tired of not being able to find reliable players for my D&D games, and the backlog of story ideas just got to be too much. I tried it on a whim, and got addicted.

2. Ah. Well, epic fantasy/high fantasy really just has so many options for storytelling. If you incorporate a human element, you can get nitty-gritty with the details. If you go the more soft/mystical route, you can create ethereal lore threads that are fun to think about. But in the main, fantasy equals magic. Medieval fantasy equals magic AND swords. I love making magic systems almost as much as I love worldbuilding.

3. Oh definitely! I don't know that I'd ever fully leave the fantasy element, but you can get a lot of variety simply by adjusting the timeline. Modern Fantasy and Sci-Fi are both interesting, though if I'm being honest I'm not particularly fond of writing sci-fi.

crbrearley

When I was fourteen, I picked up the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, by Stephen Donaldson. That was 1980. I immediately began creating fantasy worlds and I've never stopped. It's odd, since I admire the series but don't love it. I thought he had a great majesty to his fantasy creation. It took me a lot longer before I actually began writing properly...

Come to think of it, I'm not telling the the truth. That was when my addiction to fantasy began. I remember wanting to write twilight zone novels on my old typewriters (don't ask, just imagine they are the worst word processor you've ever seen). So that had to be before I was fourteen. It's great to know what you want to do so early in life, I guess, but the fact that I have nine books to show for it is kind of embarrassing.

GoodPerson

The only active fanfictioners in the forum.
As a fellow author, I have my reasons to write.

1) I'm here in Scribblehub to read fanfics. And let me tell ya, it's terrible. So I made my own with poor starting chapters
2) Writing original works seems to be quite confusing. Plus, there's not much good fanfics. And I'm a new writer. Also, Gordon Freemen.
3) Like I said in the 2nd answer, mind-boggling.

Yule

Snowdrop
Why did ya’ll pick up writing? And second question why do you prefer the genre you’re currently written? Third and final question, would you ever branch out into a different genre?
-
1) I was poor, I was bored, I had a pencil, I had some papers, I didn't know how to draw but I knew how to write!
2) I like wishing for dumb things! Since they don't come true irl, I try to make them come true in writing.
3) I've explored a few genres, but there's still a number of them I really want to try and haven't been able to yet. One day I'd really like to write modern drama without any fantasy elements.

Sylver

Well I used to be a bookworm when I was little, I loved reading about adventures and entering new fictional worlds, learning about mystery stories, character growth and relationships. I got super into numerous book series, I remember my first and biggest slice of life book series I was hooked on was the Fudge series by Judy Blume. Funny story, it has five books but I read them out of order, almost backwards really! I read the final book first, and the first book last!

Then as I went into high school, I got into a deep depression and one way I would cope is by writing my own fiction content. I started I believe back in 2014, it was small stuff but a lot of my inspiration came from Naruto Shippuden, Death Note, and Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. I tried my hand at writing a few projects but it was mostly for practice, nothing serious or public.

It wasn't until I rewatched my childhood favorite anime Inuyasha, and binge-watched my new favorite anime ToraDora, that I began to invest in comedy, slice of life and romance. I wasn't fond of romance before because of personal history, but believing and desiring that kind of romance I would see on fictional media like Manga, Anime, and Novels helped me push through my comfortable cave of isolation.

Recently, I got back into college and I'm close to getting my Bachelor's Degree. I'll be honest, it hasn't been the experience I was hoping for. I'm still struggling to make friends, still dealing with anxiety, still living a loveless life, but I'm pushing through. Writing these novels keeps me safe, sane, and gives me a feeling that I'm doing something with my life. I matter, I exist, I'm not just a face that you forget.

And also, I write because it's my passion and hobby. I have dozens of ideas for new stories (just ask! :blob_teehee:) and I've been wondering if I should add them here or not since most of them are passionate projects that I've had for ten years.

But to answer your questions:
2) Why do I prefer the genre I'm working with? I couldn't tell you what genre I am working with, it's a mix of fantasy, medieval, romance, slice of life and adult fiction. But I like to think that I am good at it, and I really enjoy writing it.
3) Would I branch out into a different genre? I already have, and I'd love to do it again. My passion projects are a work of science fiction, neo-dystopia, mystery and action adventure drama. As long as there is an audience enjoying the work I bring, I would love to do it. It's why I write my stories, to bring entertainment to others and give them the draw and escape that I had before and now.

SurfAngel_1031

-
1) I've always loved creative writing. I've done it since I was a teenager. while I might not have finished many stories, I still have all the notebooks I used.
2) Vampires are just awesome.
3) I started out with mystery writing and romantic vampires is my thing now. Will I move again? No plans to.

doravg

109/4001 (bigot towards homophobs)
I was a nervous ball of energy because at the time I got a job, but had to wait until March for it, and yeah, it was stressful. Writing calmed me down.

Also, I have always loved BL, and plan to write it for a very long time. That said, I did write some GL and GB too. You know, just to experiment.