So as a fellow author

Notadate

Why did ya’ll pick up writing? And second question why do you prefer the genre you’re currently written? Third and final question, would you ever branch out into a different genre?
-
1) I got bored and wanted something else.
2) It was what I read when I got into books.
3) I have, and continue to do so.

WatchaKhoko

1) I need to create. If I don't, I feel empty. I've tried creating video games, music, videos, but the only thing I can say I'm good at is writing. I want to express myself.
2) It allows me to release my darkest sides.
3) Definitely.

Rokuro-Sama

Why did ya’ll pick up writing? And second question why do you prefer the genre you’re currently written? Third and final question, would you ever branch out into a different genre?
-
Uh, when I first started reading novels I discovered a website called Re:Library and they specialized in gender-bender books. I binge-read those books for years before I ever started writing. After about three years I finally got the confidence to write my own and that is how Ice-Cold Vampire Princess was created. I will branch out into other genres + I already have.

l8rose

Perpetually Positively Pondering

1) I like to create and where I grew up, there was absolutely nothing to do. I lived in a rural af town on the edge of crown land where the only corner store closed at 6 pm. I mean... my graduating class was less than 30 people.

2) I don't really have a preference for genres. I've written everything from sci-fi to modern fantasy over the years. Even wrote a story based on the 1880s in London but featuring supernaturals from LKH's stuff. I would have to say that I have a preference for theme though. It's usually almost always an outsider looking in or someone forced into a world/situation that is completely outside what they know. I prefer the first because again, grew up rural and being artistic wasn't exactly "normal". Second is because I like reading something different than what I experience in my own life. It's why I like reading slice of life if it focuses on a different culture but if it's closer to mine, I won't read it.

3) Yes. I'll write whatever I feel like. Whether it's modern fantasy or fanfiction set in the Carpathian Mountains in the 1400s, whatever the mood strikes, I'll write about.

Simple_Russian_Boi

Maybe an alcoholic | Occasionally a cat
1) I was in the hospital after my heart decided to do a little trolling and I had nothing else to do. My sister has been writing short stories and fan fiction as a hobby for a long time, so I decided to try my hand at them too.
2) I am writing issekai because the idea of moving to other worlds fascinates me. But lately I've been tempted to write a slice of life novel.
3) Soon. Soon.

SailusGebel

1) Money.
2) There is not enough works similar to mine.
3) Yes.

DannyTheDaikon

| Azure tamer | Harbinger of chaos and soup
1. To escape, to not be here at least for a bit.
2. I always loved fantasy. Even before I was able to read on my own.
3. I am considering.

Terrate

I wanted something "nice"
I wanted to join the trash isekai genre. Those guilty pleasure things.
Why not, if there's isekai trash, then there's Highschool setting trash too. There's enough trash for everyone.

RiaCorvidiva

Lady with a Caws.
It gives me something to do and focus my head on rather than getting into anxiety spirals. Instead, I spiral into the worlds and stories I have created, and hey, I want to show them to others too.

Regarding changing genres, uh, will probably stay in the general vicinity of ladies in fantasy stories kicking copious amounts of butt and taking names.

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
-
1) I simply enjoy it
2) I like fantasy because it has more options and depth for exploration than contemporary, if you ask me
3) I have as well

ManwX

Im from a Timeline where nuclear war destroyed all
1.Felt like I could write interesting things and stories
2.except for romance I can write anything. Currently I have like a fantasy , sci-fi and revenge story that I'm procrasting on..
3. Honestly I don't really mind to switch genres.. I have an entire horror story planned out with everything sorted from the beginning to the ending. Someday I'll definitely write it. It's only 24 chapter with a very strong Message. It's sci-fi horror to be specific.

Just need to give time to writing...

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
1) spite
2) I really enjoy history and could work well with it's writing style.
3) I try to branch out as much as possible but I tend to avoid genre's I currently am struggling with writing or genre's that I'm not interested in at the moment but I will get to them eventually.

Sleds

I'm looking for Disney Sleds
1- It sounded fun to try
2- I enjoy cultivation stories and that what get me into reading novels
3- There a high chance I would do it, I wrote many ideas for novels I want to try writing in the future, while there some cultivation stories in those ideas, there also other genre in it

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
Because a lot of the stuff I read is terrible and I know I can do better if I actually put my mind to it.

Enkiari

Huh. This seems fun.
1) Why did I start writing? Well, it is a mix of several factors. I have always made storylines inside my head. I thought the internet needed more GL stories. I read an atrocious story that was very popular and figured I could do better.
2) Why do I prefer GL romance fantasy? I am not a fan of reality. And there have been a few traumatic events in my life that influenced my preferences. But mostly because I think it is fun.
3) I have and will. While I prefer writing GL, I have written BL and straight stuff as well. And while there are genres I don't think I can do well with, there are plenty I have ideas for.

TsumiHokiro

Just another chick in the universe
1) I liked reading, so I thought I might as well try writing.
2) It's what I like reading.
3) So long I enjoy reading, I might.

2wordsperminute

1. Just wanted to try it out. Got the idea from the part of Bakuman where shuujin wrote cell phone novels.
2. Made in Abyss.
3. After I finish this story.

Last edited:

fluffypie374

1. I read a lot that did not fit my tastes and I wanted something for myself. :blob_uwu:
2. It all started out with wanting to troll readers, but I realized I was also trolling myself, so I got into it... :blob_teary:
3. Then, I met smut novels... and it opened a new world. Ahem. :blob_sir:

ElijahRyne

A Hermit that is NOT that Lazy…
-
When I was young, 4-5th grade, my mom was trying to write a story of her own. So I emulated her and wrote my first story,Tarty Fart v The Giant Mutant Ice Cream Cones, unfortunately I lost that 8 or so years ago. Since then, however, I have been writing on and off. Throughout that time I have mostly written horror, although I have occasionally written other genres. Click the images in my signature if you want some more modern examples, and for older stuff click that black image and/or search the writing prompts for a few of my stories that I wrote in my creative writing course.