So uncolorful; so colorful

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
What is the most boring creature in myth for you? It is a staple of fantasy culture, but rarely is anything changed about it and it has just gotten boring?
...For me, it is western dragons.
I am open to stories with dragons in general. But the greed, large fire-breathers (or whatever breath choice is used) with that particular shape are overdone.
Though goblins are a veeery close second.

What is the most mysterious creature that you have created? One that not much is known about it (at least to the characters in-world. Though it could be well-known to the characters, and not to the readers), and intrigue is built around it? Do you have any like that in your story?
Mine is Señor Screaming Fingers.

D

Deleted member 113259

What is the most boring creature in myth for you? It is a staple of fantasy culture, but rarely is anything changed about it and it has just gotten boring?
I am open to stories with dragons in general. But the greed, large fire-breathers (or whatever breath choice is used) with that particular shape are overdone.

What is the most mysterious creature that you have created? One that not much is known about it (at least to the characters in-world. Though it could be well-known to the characters, and not to the readers), and intrigue is built around it? Do you have any like that in your story?
Western dragons are epic villains. They represent Satan himself. Perhaps accidentally, but dragons often do have most if not all traits of the seven deadly sins.

Anyway, I think dwarfs are boring. A short cave guy that makes the thing is the reason any dwarf is in a story.

Syringe

Bluetooth 7 Enabled Holy Blade w/ Red Dot Sight
Goblins and Orcs 150%

That's why I love the Warhammer 40k fungus green boys so much. They're a super unique race.

That being said, one of the most iconic creatures I have is a giant (several kilometre tall) 12 winged, humanoid bird (Icon of Judgement) that brought down the fall of a mega city called Paradise. It changed the world from then on, with people coining the term and a risk classification called 'Paradise Lost' to describe any and all existential threats.

TheMonotonePuppet

Western dragons are epic villains. They represent Satan himself. Perhaps accidentally, but dragons often do have most if not all traits of the seven deadly sins.

Anyway, I think dwarfs are boring. A short cave guy that makes the thing is the reason any dwarf is in a story.
Hey! It's @Prince_Azmiran_Myrian on his alt. account!
Goblins and Orcs 150%

That's why I love the Warhammer 40k fungus green boys so much. They're a super unique race.

That being said, one of the most iconic creatures I have is a giant (several kilometre tall) 12 winged, humanoid bird (Icon of Judgement) that brought down the fall of a mega city called Paradise. It changed the world from then on, with people coining the term and a risk classification called 'Paradise Lost' to describe any and all existential threats.
Oh cool! The Icon of Judgement is a really interesting creature, and an awesome origin for a risk classification!:blobreading: I love the idea behind it.:love:
This puppet applauds your innovativeness! Delightfully COLORFUL.:blobtaco:

Last edited:

Prince_Azmiran_Myrian

🐉Burns you with his Love🐉
I find human+ races boring (elf, dwarf, halfling)
Discount Tolkien ripoffs.

And also Demi-human especially. I mean really... animal ears and tail? Just make them a human or go full furry, no reason for this not-human human category. I prefer were-people to demi-humans; at least there's a good reason for their animal characteristics in the form of a curse.

As for my creatures.
The most mysterious is the Heartfyre, which is a parallel to God.
There is also the flaming emperor hydra, which is a representation of unity with the Heartfyre.

Myrian probably wouldn't actually agree with the take that dragons are cool because they're evil.
... That sounds incredibly logical...
But I prefer to believe that just means that Myrian is incredibly devious! 🤪:ROFLMAO: I applaud you, Myrian...
🤪🤪🤪
:sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely: It's a bad fetish... a guilty pleasure.
Just gotta keep it reined in.
🧠🔥🔥🐲
🙏😇

TheMonotonePuppet

I find human+ races boring (elf, dwarf, halfling)

And also Demi-human especially. I mean really... animal ears and tail? Just make them a human or go full furry, no reason for this not-human human category. I prefer were-people to demi-humans; at least there's a good reason for their animal characteristics in the form of a curse.

As for my creatures.
The most mysterious is the Heartfyre, which is a parallel to God.
There is also the flaming emperor hydra, which is a representation of unity with the Heartfyre.

:sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely: It's a bad fetish... a guilty pleasure.
Just gotta keep it reined in.
🧠🔥🔥🐲
🙏😇
Also, I can definitely agree with that. There are a few interesting versions of Elves (like carnivorous inhuman plant like creatures utterly devoid of humanity), but for the most part, the human+ races are kind of lacking and boring. They are literally just humans with different cultures and body builds, with racism differentiating between them.
That's really cool! A truly delightful amount of color! Perhaps not as much as my puppeteers, the Stars, but it is certainly worthy of their eye!
And to the last part: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::blob_hmm_two:😲🐲🐉:devilish::devilish:

D

Deleted member 113259

To be fair, Tolkien himself got elves and dwarfs from Norse mythology. I think I'd actually like Dwarfs more if people were just ripping off Tolkien and made them warriors whose own greed lost them their kingdom. That would at least make them interesting. Instead people tend to go for Norse dwarfs who only exist to make stuff.

Succubiome

To be fair, Tolkien himself got elves and dwarfs from Norse mythology. I think I'd actually like Dwarfs more if people were just ripping off Tolkien and made them warriors whose own greed lost them their kingdom. That would at least make them interesting. Instead people tend to go for Norse dwarfs who only exist to make stuff.
I feel like a lot of people writing crafter dwarves always leave out the parts about the dwarves being super fucked up about crafting, and also people frequently treating them as a means to an ends to get cool stuff but not actually keeping their promises/treating them well/etc, which are the most interesting parts of Norse dwarves that I remember?

Anyways, I think it's really easy to do "generically evil enemy race" in a super uninteresting way, with goblins and orcs being the most popular ones there... but really, I think any creature can be written interestingly, even horribly generic in-basically-every-fantasy-book-ever ones like humans.

D

Deleted member 113259

I feel like a lot of people writing crafter dwarves always leave out the parts about the dwarves being super fucked up about crafting, and also people frequently treating them as a means to an ends to get cool stuff but not actually keeping their promises/treating them well/etc, which are the most interesting parts of Norse dwarves that I remember?

Anyways, I think it's really easy to do "generically evil enemy race" in a super uninteresting way, with goblins and orcs being the most popular ones there... but really, I think any creature can be written interestingly, even horribly generic in-basically-every-fantasy-book-ever ones like humans.
Something interesting about fantasy humans is that you can show how we would realistically react to magic, and add logic we can understand into that world through them. Unfortunately, most writers either make them generic bad guys, or black slates instead of realizing the potential that they have for world-building.

TotallyHuman

Skeletons, humans, goblins
This is as generic as white bread. You can write interesting individuals of them but as a whole - sorry no sir.

Dragons. Nobody ever writes them interesting. They could be interesting, but noo. Fairies. A whimsical alien mind in a flower-sized form that will prank you to death without meaning to? Yeah. This is the stuff dreams are made of.

Bobple

Hmmm, not really sure... I don't think any particular fantasy monster or intelligence race has reached the level of boring for me yet.
I haven't created anything too mysterious yet, but my top 3 of slightly mysterious creatures.

A giant space fish whale creature with numerous eyes and tongs, its body could stretch and move like a snake. In universe basically nothing is known about it. It eats the insides of moons and nothing can see it besides those who are unlucky to. Its steamily not dangerous though, first encounter mc had with one it terrified her then just left, cause it thought that would be funny.

A two wolf headed, three armed, two snaked tailed bipedal monster, was actually the main character of a story I tried to writing. In universe, where half the population could transform into monsters (these monster were chimeric abomination made by me), this one was mystery, cause the mc basically split his soul, then stitched it back together creating a vicious feral version of his monster half.

Bone tar skeleton demon monster, honestly not too mysterious as it looks like a giant undead with bloody red tar stitching it together, but how it exist in universes is not well known. As while everyone has "grown use" to it existence, no one knows how its exists and its not a world with undead creatures.

I do have some actual more mysterious creatures, but they haven't been put pen to page so I want to keep them a secret :blob_cookie: .

Aiyoki

Honestly most common fantasy races get to the point of being boring. I still find them fun most of the time though. :blob_cookie:

I think you'll like my dragons when I get around to actually introducing them. They were a generous race and gave humans a gift they were not ready to handle. It spiraled out of control to the point that humans turned on the dragons when they tried to take away that gift. Thanks to the human's abuse of the dragon's gift, many of the generic fantasy races in the world (dwarves, goblins, elves, ect...) were spawned from it. This creates a scenario where without the human influence over the draconic gift, the other races would never have existed in the first place.

I've not introduced many mysterious creatures thus far but the Charmolgrath is a unique and dangerous creature. Spawned by emotional energies turned manifest, they gain in size and strength when they consume particularly volatile mana. When hungry they seek out strong sources of mana to devour. When threatened, Charmolgrath employ a magically enhanced breath weapon comprised of a necrotic hellfire that simultaneously burns and rots away the body of its victims.