Sociopathic MCs

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
A few times already that work was dropped because my MC was perceived as "sociopathically evil" and "genuinely evil" even by readers who apparently prefer neutral/evil characters and detest lawful protagonists, which I find curious.

I obviously disagree with the above assessment. I never perceived my MCs are particularly evil, but it doesn't matter, perceptions are perceptions and the reader is always right.

In any case, does anyone else have similar issues with their MC being too evil?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29316

A few times already that work was dropped because my MC was perceived as "sociopathically evil" and "genuinely evil" even by readers who apparently prefer neutral/evil characters and detest lawful protagonists, which I find curious.

I obviously disagree with the above assessment. I never perceived my MCs are particularly evil, but it doesn't matter, perceptions are perceptions and the reader is always right.

In any case, did anyone else experience similar cases?
Mine was dropped because they perceive him as 'dense Japanese doormat', when I intend for him to grow as the story progress.

Likewise, I had someone drop my other story (DECK), because they think Temaire is 'evil'.

LostLibrarian

I obviously disagree with the above assessment.
If you disagree, then you might try and convince (new) readers more detailed explanations. Different readers bring different cultural backgrounds and experiences to your story, so what you might imagine as gray might be a grave sin to others...

So it might help to go into more detail on why the character does what he does. This can turn a character from "evil" to "logical" or even "good, but helpless".

I had that also happen with an old, now deleted, story of mine. And since then I made sure to more directly show/tell both reasons and possible future events. In my current story the MC has a bit of delusion towards the heroine and while many readers don't like that part of him, most seem to accept it for now, because I have both given reason for his behaviour and also forshadowed his development...

Fromage

Peerless member
Give that wench an award for being useless too

Nyaa

As a reader, I actually want to read more novels with these types of characters.
I read a wide variety of different things and this is one of the categories that is lacking.

I generally stick with what I pick up - I wouldn't drop a novel for this alone. (though, if is sucks real bad for other reasons....)

Pujimaki

Padoru trash writer
My novel was dropped because one of my main characters was illogical. Well, not that I care. I will write what I want. 💪💪

Leti

I don't drop stories unless the plot is going nowhere after it reached certain amount of chapters with only fillers and no progression.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme

wait, what? what do you mean, dropped? who dropped it? a reader? dropped your story? well fuck em, why do you care? anyway i don't mind how evil an MC is...but there is a difference between being evil and being a straight dick. And i don't support dicks other than mine.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
I don't drop stories unless the plot is going nowhere after it reached certain amount of chapters with only fillers and no progression.
i take it you dont like slice of life stories then. Me either, usually. Unless its a really fun and wild story, like Hinamatsuri. Not much overarching goals to achieve, but we follow the lives of interesting characters and their interactions. Saiki K is like that too

Devils.Advocate

An objectionable existence
How similar?
To write a character that is not "evil" but is considered evil by readers?

Or to write something with an element in mind but the result is perceived differently by readers?
E.g
Write an ironic dark comedy but readers think its a political tragedy
Writes a smart character and readers things they an average joe or straight up a dumbass
Write a thrillingly fast pace thriller, but readers think, it's a fluffy slice of life with some mystery subplot

Is that similar?

Fromage

Peerless member
How similar?

Or to write something with an element in mind but the result is perceived differently by readers?
E.g
Writes a smart character and readers things they an average joe or straight up a dumbass
Write a thrillingly fast pace thriller, but readers think, it's a fluffy slice of life with some mystery subplot

Is that similar?
My MC Han Tu massacred an entire nation
Everyone think he is a hero

Assurbanipal_II

wait, what? what do you mean, dropped? who dropped it? a reader? dropped your story? well fuck em, why do you care? anyway i don't mind how evil an MC is...but there is a difference between being evil and being a straight dick. And i don't support dicks other than mine.
It is called analyzing. If it happens once, okay, but it happens more frequently and readers tell you directly why, it is worth looking deeper into it.

But of course we know, you don't need it. A God of you caliber doesn't need to analyze, we lesser mortals do.

Assurbanipal_II

How similar?

E.g

Is that similar?
Clarified things. :blob_reach: