Soft Magic Systems

melchi

What is a custom title?
The agency thing is every important. Magic that is forcing someone, or things to align a certain way sours the whole narrative.

I think some of the latin magical realism stories do a really good job of soft magic. I forget the novel, but there was a chapter called "clara the clairvoyant" where the ill gotten wife pronounced what would happen in years to come. However it was vague so it didn't seem to important in the short term. Something like "you'll get rich in money, but it will cost you your happiness."

Stuff like that is handling it well.

Anyway, just an example this vid reminded me of.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.

Last in this specific series, finally hitting soft magic at its softest.

I discuss a bit about bad magic systems in this too, as I dislike the notion that a system being flawed makes it soft or hard makes it good.
"Just because you have a problem with a magic system doesn't mean it's soft."

I feel the penis joke.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
I like how @Story_Marc just said soft magic should not be a deus ex machina thing and my mind just plopped onto "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!"

I think the reason why most people like myself don't enjoy soft magic in some context is because:
1. It just feels like someone won the superpower lottery and that someone ain't the one I'm invested in. *Eyes still looking at Gandaff.*
2. It feels... eh? Like, no explanation? There is a lot of things in my life having no explanation, Elsa's power source is one of them and I hate it. Though maybe it is because my niece can't stop singing Let it GO.

Jaicodonutsz

I like how @Story_Marc just said soft magic should not be a deus ex machina thing and my mind just plopped onto "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!"

I think the reason why most people like myself don't enjoy soft magic in some context is because:
1. It just feels like someone won the superpower lottery and that someone ain't the one I'm invested in. *Eyes still looking at Gandaff.*
2. It feels... eh? Like, no explanation? There is a lot of things in my life having no explanation, Elsa's power source is one of them and I hate it. Though maybe it is because my niece can't stop singing Let it GO.

Elsa powers is explained in frozen 2.....