Some good historical story recomendations for me

XbloodrubyX

Yo I am looking for some stories set in the past. Like in the stone age or in roman times. Anything like that.

bokhi

Not a Desert Crow Witch
Yo I am looking for some stories set in the past. Like in the stone age or in roman times. Anything like that.

Does it have to be strictly historical, or do you just want a similar setting with fantasy elements?

Rhaps

Xenophobia Incarnate
There is 'The Legend of Lu Bu Fengxian', by the same author as Records of Ragnarok, he went to Rome in one Arc.

A good read for something more modern is Youjo Senki, loli HitIer and all.

Not historical but a very good and wholesome story is 'Van Gogh Reborn!', Van Gogh reincarnated as a Korean man, giving him a second chance where life doesn't beat him the fvck up every waking moment.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Mine may suffice. It's set in 1888 London and eventually goes through the early 500s and other places. This is just the 3rd draft and I'll hopefully be publishing the completed vol. 1 physically in December or January.

SailusGebel

Mine may suffice. It's set in 1888 London and eventually goes through the early 500s and other places. This is just the 3rd draft and I'll hopefully be publishing the completed vol. 1 physically in December or January.
Bruh.

bokhi

Not a Desert Crow Witch
It can be a similar setting with fantasy elemets.

Frostbound takes place in a northern tribal society. I think only RR has the complete version.

Pyrebound is likewise only on RR. It's set in a fantasy world modeled after ancient Mesopotamia.

Edit: Forgot to add Virtuous Sons. It's a stub on RR, but it's highly regarded Greco-Roman xianxia. I'm not super into xianxia, so I didn't read that much of it, but from what I can tell the author has done his research.

My own work, The Stormcrow Cycle, might fit the bill: it's a mish-mash of Greek and Roman cultural mores combined with the Fremen of Dune (much, much lighter in this version, to be fair) to create something that's familiar but a little bit different. It's not super true to history, I'll warn you, since that would not play well to a modern audience. So you can expect a mix of fact and fiction in the worldbuilding. I'll also warn you that it is, first and foremost, a character-driven romance for Book I. The politicking and violence bump up in Book II (we're not there yet).

For texts that are not web novels but still available online, you can also read some pretty classic books literally written in the time periods you mentioned for free.

Two obvious titles off the top of my head:

1. Daphnis and Chloe by Longus. This is pretty commonly read if you take any Greek lit classes and is considered the go-to example of an early pastoral romance. It's a bit dry but if you want to read about stupid teenagers being stupid teenagers thousands of years ago, it's worth a gander. There are many free translations available, though a more modern translation off Amazon might be more your speed.

2. The Golden Ass by Apuleius. It's essentially the great, great granddaddy of picaresque literature. Expect much Roman weirdness. Again, there are many translations available, but a more modern one might be your speed. Available on Amazon, last I checked.

There are also entire collections available on Amazon as well, but those are expensive and can be boringly academic. I'll link one if anyone's interested.

bokhi

Not a Desert Crow Witch
https://ask.metafilter.com/371850/Historical-fiction-set-in-Ancient-Greece-about-ordinary-people
Tom Holt's Goat Song/The Olive Orchard is a favorite. Also Guy Gabriel Kay's Sailing to Byzantium

Good recs, thank you! Small correction: GGK's book is called Sailing to Sarantium, not Byzantium. (Though you are correct in that it a fantasy world version of the Byzantine empire!). It is actually a duology called The Sarantine Mosaic, and I recommend you read both books. (But skip the prologue. It's boring.)

As an aside, GGK's books in that same universe are all fantasy world versions of real world empires. Highly recommend.

avaseofpeonies

your cool weird auntie
@bokhi that artwork is beautiful!

I definitely recommend bokhi's novel, The Stormcrow Cycle. It is so good! So, so very good. (I've gotta get back to that one soon. I've been busy wrapping up one of mine.)

I have a short story set in a very unresearched, whatever I could remember from college anthropology Neolithic days if you like vampires. It's Birthrite, down there in my sig.