AirParalysis Burn
Light
Dark
L. Charm, Blind, Buff
D. Confuse, Silence, Debuff
Illusion
Stun, Drain

Mephi

Fire burns, water slows/stops, wind gets lightning stuns, earth bleeds, light blinds and dark poisons.

LABmaiL

Friend of All Hats :)
Maybe a mental affect for darkness? Most creatures without night vision have an instinctual fear of the dark due to the lack of awareness darkness brings. Maybe a paranoia, anxiety, or hallucination effect?
I feel poison fits best for water or air, as liquids and gasses are the most common forms of poison in media.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Sure. Why not? Here's the thing:

Whatever magic system/alternate physics you use, BE CONSISTENT. Fire can burn an poison? Okay. WHY DOESN'T EVERY FIRE USER GO STRAIGHT TO RADIOACTIVE NAPALM? Water can freeze and bleed? Okay, WHY DOESN'T EVERY WATER USER SHRED EVERY ENEMY'S SKIN?

What the magic does isn't nearly as important as power scale, training, ability, talent, knowledge, method, etc etc etc.

I have an overarching magic system that then is specialized depending on the world you are on. There are factors that are the same across all settings, but the magic system is tailored to the specific world. For example, HKN has a magic system where Dwarves have a mana structure with no mana core, however they have extra "thick" mana channels. This makes them especially resistant to magical attacks since they "spread" their mana across their entire body. They also are good at creating magical items and then using them, but they cannot do magical effects on themselves.

Humans have two different 'mana cores' availiable. The far more common Aura Core Which allows you to do various different types of magic to your own body. Then the rare Conjuration core which allows you to channel your mana into one of four elements. You do not have multiple element users here because of the close proximity to the Dark Matter Reefs, in the local Meta-dimensional area. Dark matter KILLS magic, you see. So, the people in this world cannot use truly insane levels of magic. One needs a very strong soul to pull off magic.

Which my MC has. So he has managed to get both an aura core and a conjuration core: water. With his knowledge of modern science, he has figured out how to make ice, then various forms of ice (Ice-7 being his particular favorite because of it's explosive properties at sea level air pressure.) And then steam. He has expanded the use of water to other aspects of water organically. It is part of his character and power growth as the story progresses.

Also, he is half-dwarf and half-human. I have hinted at it, but the long and short of it is, he has the superior mana channels of a dwarf, but the human capability to have a Aura and Conjuration core. Normally a human with both would burn out, but he also worked on using mana tattoos to create artificial mana channels to allow other humans to learn how to use dual cores. Of course, there are dangers involved, which becomes part of the story.

Also there are demons. Demons only have the demon core and every demon has one. A demon core is far more powerful, but it also has real drawbacks. One, it actually exists in the demon, so it is a weak spot if attacked. Also, the demon feeds off of 'negative mana'. Mana is formed by souls. It is a by-product of their existence. Demons cannot generate mana and must absorb it from the enviroment. So, that means, causing people with souls to suffer. The more people are in pain, the more negative mana is generated. It then collects in ley lines an flows. Demons either are formed or gather at places where the negative mana accumulates.

SInce demons get the energy from external sources, and mana is effectively thoughts and emotions (memes), the demon's power is limited in what memetic energy it accumulates. They become influenced by what people with souls think about them. Goblins are small green and bastards. This is what humans think, so the goblin'd demon core is influenced by this. Also, demons can 'eat; other demon cores, so it is possible for one demon to get insanely powerful. He also knows he's rather tasty, so he tends top kill any threats. It leads to the particular 'demonic ecology' that exists.

So while demon cores can 'do anything', in practical terms, they are limited to what humans subconsciously allow them to be.

Finally, we have the elf cores. Elves/fae have external cores. They manifest as familiars. Some familiars are small and weak, some are giant fluffy emu/yak hybrids. The size of the 'core' is dependent on it's power level. It also becomes somewhat self aware, but this is an illusion. The elf/fae core is really just a part of the owner's mind. They are the same being, just two bodies.

The reason they do this, is because it is like the demon core, it can do just about anything and has far more potential then the limits placed upon human conjuration/aura cores. It also isn't inside the elf/fae, so it is easier to manipulate and 'maintain'. Demon cores cannot use 'positive mana' because the intimate collection with the user leads to corruption. The elf method allows the elf to maintain distance, monitor the core, and make sure you don't spiral into madness and insanity. Demons cannot 'turn off' their cores and so they are basically controled by their cores. Elves can walk away from their cores and center themselves when they need a break from the relentless pressure of mana.

Also, because their external cores are more 'natural' they can harvest mana from nature. Now, soul generated mana is much stronger and concentrated, than nature/spirit generated mana, but there is so MUCH mana, that as long as you maintain an area in nature in a robust balance of living, then the elves/fae an absorb the positive natural mana, pure the small amount of negative mana when it gets too much, and thus have access to magic without the 'taint' of a soul's personal emotional hang ups.

Humans might be limited in the types of magic they can use, but every human has his own Mana generating battery. A soul.

BTW, the MC of HKN had the dual cores and the mana channels of a dwarf, but while trying to kill a powerful demon, he came up with the bright idea of 'absorbing' it's demon core, because he couldn't figure out any other way to destroy it. Thus it was absorbed by him. Normally a human without mana cores doing this just becomes a demonic creature. If you have a mana core and try and absorb a demon core, you die.

However, he was a particularly strong soul (duh. He's the MC) and had the oversized mana channels of a dwarf, and two mana cores at the time. So he absorbed it and instead of dying, his body suppressed the demon core. So, for now, he can't do anything with it, but over time as he 'heals' in a spiritual fashion, he will eventually learn how to access it. This is PART OF THE STORY AND HIS CHARACTER GROWTH.

In order to harness the demon core, he is going to have to gain control over himself. Considering the emotional baggage he comes with, this isn't going to be a walk in the park. However (and a bit of a spoiler here), the demon core will FORCE him to deal with his internal issues and thus grow as a character as well as grow in power.

Do you see the theme here?

The magic system exists for two reasons:

1. To give the reader something to think about and wonder about. (Ooo! What could you do with this?)
2. To act as a motivating force that causes the character to grow.

If I described my magic system well, you should be thinking of the possibilities and wonder, "What could you do with this?" I am the author. That's my job. To entertain you and give you thoughts. Your magic system should make the reader THINK. For example: Can a human get a Elf/Fae external core as a familiar? What would happen if that were to occur? What would it look like?

And then I have my wild card, the dragons. Of course I cannot explain anything here, as that would be major spoilers. But trust me, the dragons are a whole other level and fit well into the framework.

If your magic system is nothing more than a table/chart of statuses, uh... sorry. Bored now.

Stop thinking World of warcraft style magic system and start thinking 'Dramatic purpose driven' style magic system.

Unless you are writing a LitRPG story, in which case, totally go with the WoW style magic system. The point of a LitRPG is the nuts and bolts. Focus on the number crunching because if you fuck that up, nobody will like the story. A LitRPG magic systems needs number crunching so your MC can abuse the system. For example:

Techincally speaking, in 3.0/3.5 d20, Stilts make your movement speed 20. Not reduce it to 20. it BECOMES 20. A toad familiar has a movement speed of 5 and cannot sprint/run. However, put the toad on two foot tall stilts and the toad can now move 20 AND sprint at x4 speed.

Technically, if you made the stilts into a +1 (they would become a paired weapon-club), then gave them the +1 WSA of flying, they become constructs, so they could walk 20 feet FOR the user, thus allowing the wearer to have, in effect, a free movement, although it would happen on the stilt's initiative roll. No, you could not fly with the stilts, as they could not life the user, but they could fly by themselves, so if you lost them over a cliff, they could be ordered to fly back to you, in certain circumstances.

See the difference? My Magic system for HKN is dramatic and interwoven with character development. A LitRPG magic system exists to be ABUSED, so the actual rules don't matter, as long as they are all written out in detail and followed TO. THE. LETTER.

Hope this helps.

LilTV1155

Poison added to Fire. Because pollution.
Ashes is acidic and toxic when ingested or inhaled. Smokes is toxic when inhaled.
Burn the wrong materials like marijuana and poppies, you get druggie trips.
Volcanic fire does count.
P.S. Sorry for triggering you. But Did not intend for Elements to be LitRPG style. And those Elements are at Lv 2 of Transition Phase. Just a coocoo brainstorm for special effects from Elements at Phase 2/ Lv2.
If anything, I was thinking of the effects done to a human body due to several forms of manipulations. Though my elements' ailments feel like sugar and spices for cooking a human prey via assassination methods, surprisingly. Now i want to eat a squid.

Last edited: