Story Idea Feedback

J_Chemist

Hello all,

After an initial sort of rant post on my profile about wanting to start a second novel, I've been slowly getting more serious about it these last few months. On top of that, I'm finding myself slowly burning out on my OG Book. It's not that I'm not wanting to continue the story, it's more that constantly hammering away at it is getting tiring. I find it difficult to continue my chapters most days and even when I have the itch to sit down and write, I don't find myself having the motivation. I know exactly what I want to put down to paper. I have the scenes in my mind, the words at my fingers, but I simply groan and change tabs. It's an odd feeling.

Thus, I've decided that if I can put together a proper High-Story concept for a second book, I'd more seriously look into it. But, the genre I'm going to be writing isn't something I'm typically good at because of the themes I wish to include. On top of that, I would like the story to be actually interesting and not some cookie-cutter plot that I shove out and cling to because it's simple. Fun, long, winding stories that break the mold are always far more fun. Of course, there will be standard themes included that must be but I do prefer atypical characters and action-sets that don't follow normal rules in stories (i.e. the good guy doesn't always win).

With that being said, I have a few story ideas I'd like y'all to give some feedback on. I'm likely to pick one of these for my story and will include the elements discussed. So if you have any suggestions, tips, or possible critiques to them, let me know. Also, if you would, please rank the stories in the order of interest to you and feel free to provide some input as to why you've ranked them that way.

Thanks, y'all!
  • For reference: the second story I am planning is a Comedic story with Romantic, Fantasy, and an OP/Powerful MC who does their best to remain out of the limelight.
  1. The Father and his Daughters - This story focuses on an adventurer who's a single father to three daughters. Their mother passed away due to some circumstances and he has been left with raising them. One daughter is 17, another 12, and the third is 5.They all want to see him happy and he wishes to provide for them an easy and smooth youth, providing for them everything they need no matter the cost. He's a very knowledgeable Adventurer and also very skilled. He's earned the reputation of the "Bear" in his territory and is ranked B. Among those in his Guild's region, he ranks in the top twenty so he gets frequent requests for higher risk missions, but missions that pay very well.

The story will focus on his continued efforts to support his girls and their efforts to get him hitched with a few local damsels. Other Adventurer ladies are also in the pool of potential romance partners but time and time again, the MC puts his daughters first, turns the women down, misses cues, or outright decides not to be involved.

2. The Demon King's Son - In a climactic clash of wills, the Demon King eliminates the Hero's party, the Hero's army, and dials back the Hero's life clock to the point that he's reduced to being a baby again. Then, he sends the Hero off into some far off land to dispose of him and be rid of the problem at his door step. In the many years that follow, the Demon King repairs his kingdom, restores order to his kindred, and business returns to the usual in the Land of Demons.

Except, it wasn't the Demon King who actually did all of that. No, the Demon King wanted an all out battle to the death like a crazed lunatic. He was excited, frothing at the mouth, and wholly committed to fighting the Hero in hand to hand combat to the final breath. His wife, on the other hand, the Demoness Queen herself, beat the snot out of both of them until the Hero begged for mercy and the Demon King was forced to kiss her shoes for forgiveness. She sent out her own forces to kill off the Hero's army and then chucked the Hero into the Forest of the Abandoned to reflect on his actions for the next few centuries in a box he was sealed away in.

Years later, the Demon King and his wife had a happy family and so enters our MC, the (nth) son of the Royal Family. He inherits his mother's magical power but also his father's inert desire to beat up everyone that's strong just because he can. A terrible duo, especially with the Magic Academy basing a lot of its rank structure off duels. This story will follow the Demon King's Son as he goes through the school system, learning about magic, training his skills, going on adventures in the area, and dueling many opponents all with the outcome generally coming down to him wanting to punch them in the face as a finisher so he can "see the light fade from their very eyes!".

3. Reincarnated as a Goblin - This story will be a little different than the other two. The focus will be on an individual who reincarnates as a monster, much like "Reincarnated as a Slime", but without the eating ability that Remiru had. I put Goblin at the top here because that was my original idea for the monster, but I am very open to others. I'd like something humanoid and outlandish, but something also interesting in terms of concept of growth. They'll start at the bottom and end up a very capable adventurer. And yes, they will be fighting Humans, Elves, Dwarves, and other "Good Guy" races. This will be a story where our creatures of the night slowly win, and I will be rather ruthless in my story telling with it. There will still be romance elements involved, but just from the viewpoint of the Monsters instead.

4. The Hero who Quit - We typically see stories where the hero retires, escapes from his fate, or otherwise just gives up. However, I'd like to play this out more from the angle of a Hero who not only quit and ran off to hide, but was ultimately replaced and forgotten. A hero who travels his world, adventuring on his own, living his life and taking part in various Raids/Battles far beyond the frontlines. Similar to "Banished from the Hero's Party", except without the settling down. Our MC will still be roaming around, solving problems, and making friends along the way. Maybe a love interest or two.

Alternatively, there is the option to have him Quit when he's young and still a fledgling. He disbands his party and decides to just be normal, using his skills in a city and lives a typical Adventurer's life. Rather than roam around all over the place, he does settle down, but he can't be complacent. He still needs to climb the Ranks of Adventurers in order to achieve a truly comfortable life.

SailusGebel

Personally, I would read neither. 1, 3, and 4 are not unique enough for me to read them. I've read at least a couple of similar stories for each of the mentioned ideas. As for 2, way too convoluted for me.

melchi

What is a custom title?
I would read neither 1,2,3 and 4 is the only one that sounds interesting.

3 might be interesting if goblin = something else. It is hard to break the stereotype of said race. Wandering inn does I good job of it but still, I don't like it. If the race was something less stereotyped than goblin I think it could work better. EX: brownie, sprite, Changeling, satyr or some other less-explored monster race.

#1 sounds a lot like pride and prejudice. One man only has daughters to inherit. Also, there are too many heroes who have dead parents for their background. It makes me sad that happens so much.

#2 Seems a bit too complex. A simple idea to build off of is better IMO.

That is why I think 4 is the best. It would give a great hook and could go in a whole lot of directions and not get painted into a corner.

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
Hello all,

After an initial sort of rant post on my profile about wanting to start a second novel, I've been slowly getting more serious about it these last few months. On top of that, I'm finding myself slowly burning out on my OG Book. It's not that I'm not wanting to continue the story, it's more that constantly hammering away at it is getting tiring. I find it difficult to continue my chapters most days and even when I have the itch to sit down and write, I don't find myself having the motivation. I know exactly what I want to put down to paper. I have the scenes in my mind, the words at my fingers, but I simply groan and change tabs. It's an odd feeling.

Thus, I've decided that if I can put together a proper High-Story concept for a second book, I'd more seriously look into it. But, the genre I'm going to be writing isn't something I'm typically good at because of the themes I wish to include. On top of that, I would like the story to be actually interesting and not some cookie-cutter plot that I shove out and cling to because it's simple. Fun, long, winding stories that break the mold are always far more fun. Of course, there will be standard themes included that must be but I do prefer atypical characters and action-sets that don't follow normal rules in stories (i.e. the good guy doesn't always win).

With that being said, I have a few story ideas I'd like y'all to give some feedback on. I'm likely to pick one of these for my story and will include the elements discussed. So if you have any suggestions, tips, or possible critiques to them, let me know. Also, if you would, please rank the stories in the order of interest to you and feel free to provide some input as to why you've ranked them that way.

Thanks, y'all!
  • For reference: the second story I am planning is a Comedic story with Romantic, Fantasy, and an OP/Powerful MC who does their best to remain out of the limelight.
  1. The Father and his Daughters - This story focuses on an adventurer who's a single father to three daughters. Their mother passed away due to some circumstances and he has been left with raising them. One daughter is 17, another 12, and the third is 5.They all want to see him happy and he wishes to provide for them an easy and smooth youth, providing for them everything they need no matter the cost. He's a very knowledgeable Adventurer and also very skilled. He's earned the reputation of the "Bear" in his territory and is ranked B. Among those in his Guild's region, he ranks in the top twenty so he gets frequent requests for higher risk missions, but missions that pay very well.

The story will focus on his continued efforts to support his girls and their efforts to get him hitched with a few local damsels. Other Adventurer ladies are also in the pool of potential romance partners but time and time again, the MC puts his daughters first, turns the women down, misses cues, or outright decides not to be involved.

2. The Demon King's Son - In a climactic clash of wills, the Demon King eliminates the Hero's party, the Hero's army, and dials back the Hero's life clock to the point that he's reduced to being a baby again. Then, he sends the Hero off into some far off land to dispose of him and be rid of the problem at his door step. In the many years that follow, the Demon King repairs his kingdom, restores order to his kindred, and business returns to the usual in the Land of Demons.

Except, it wasn't the Demon King who actually did all of that. No, the Demon King wanted an all out battle to the death like a crazed lunatic. He was excited, frothing at the mouth, and wholly committed to fighting the Hero in hand to hand combat to the final breath. His wife, on the other hand, the Demoness Queen herself, beat the snot out of both of them until the Hero begged for mercy and the Demon King was forced to kiss her shoes for forgiveness. She sent out her own forces to kill off the Hero's army and then chucked the Hero into the Forest of the Abandoned to reflect on his actions for the next few centuries in a box he was sealed away in.

Years later, the Demon King and his wife had a happy family and so enters our MC, the (nth) son of the Royal Family. He inherits his mother's magical power but also his father's inert desire to beat up everyone that's strong just because he can. A terrible duo, especially with the Magic Academy basing a lot of its rank structure off duels. This story will follow the Demon King's Son as he goes through the school system, learning about magic, training his skills, going on adventures in the area, and dueling many opponents all with the outcome generally coming down to him wanting to punch them in the face as a finisher so he can "see the light fade from their very eyes!".

3. Reincarnated as a Goblin - This story will be a little different than the other two. The focus will be on an individual who reincarnates as a monster, much like "Reincarnated as a Slime", but without the eating ability that Remiru had. I put Goblin at the top here because that was my original idea for the monster, but I am very open to others. I'd like something humanoid and outlandish, but something also interesting in terms of concept of growth. They'll start at the bottom and end up a very capable adventurer. And yes, they will be fighting Humans, Elves, Dwarves, and other "Good Guy" races. This will be a story where our creatures of the night slowly win, and I will be rather ruthless in my story telling with it. There will still be romance elements involved, but just from the viewpoint of the Monsters instead.

4. The Hero who Quit - We typically see stories where the hero retires, escapes from his fate, or otherwise just gives up. However, I'd like to play this out more from the angle of a Hero who not only quit and ran off to hide, but was ultimately replaced and forgotten. A hero who travels his world, adventuring on his own, living his life and taking part in various Raids/Battles far beyond the frontlines. Similar to "Banished from the Hero's Party", except without the settling down. Our MC will still be roaming around, solving problems, and making friends along the way. Maybe a love interest or two.

Alternatively, there is the option to have him Quit when he's young and still a fledgling. He disbands his party and decides to just be normal, using his skills in a city and lives a typical Adventurer's life. Rather than roam around all over the place, he does settle down, but he can't be complacent. He still needs to climb the Ranks of Adventurers in order to achieve a truly comfortable life.
Perhaps you could put a unique spin on them, but they all sound mind-numbingly generic. The focus on heroes and demon lords, living a normal life, or reincarnated as a humanoid creature... it has been done more than ten times each. And that's just on the English webfiction sites that aren't overtaken by trash. In the origin country of these kinds of tropes (Japan), or Webnovel and other trashy sites, these have to be done more than a hundred times each. I wouldn't be surprised if the fourth has been done thousands of times.