Suffering is Storytelling.

JayDirex

Which is pretty close to what I eventually concluded with... I guess I used to be a "conflict focused" kinda guy, Now I am a changed man. :blobrofl::blobrofl::blobrofl:

Ba dum Tsss!

My two cents, but even the word "conflict" comes with baggage. at first I was like yes I'm conflict kind of guy but then again no. my writing teachings imply that storytelling is about a situation that goes from normal to abnormal, to normal again.

conflict could be a part of that abnormality, but not necessary. abnormal could just be that a new person moved into the neighborhood. slice of life story right there.

:)

but even the word "conflict" comes with baggage.
Yes, totally agree. So far in this thread, I am partial to @flucket use of "obstacle" the most. But ultimately, I am more ready to embrace and use the more neutral term "change" in my foundational storytelling philosophy.

At least for now.

:blob_shock:
Oh wait, what am I talking about I don't write novels :blobrofl: :blobrofl: :blobrofl: :blobrofl:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29081

(y)(y)(y)

I never heard of the "Flat Arc" before, interesting to consider the implication.

I gave up on finding that Ursula K. Le Guin article.... Tho I found a quote by her on Goodreads...

Which is pretty close to what I eventually concluded with... I guess I used to be a "conflict focused" kinda guy, Now I am a changed man. :blobrofl::blobrofl::blobrofl:

Ba dum Tsss!
A flat arc is just a slice of life. Nothing really world-ending happening. Just hilarious misunderstandings that get resolved only for the next set of hilarious misunderstandings to ensue.

D

Deleted member 29081

Society is the antagonist in my story, and it's also the antagonist in my actual life. Many people have trouble believing my story because they haven't personally experienced a multi-person relationship, but I have, and that's where my inspiration comes from. I'm polyamorous with a husband, two lovers, and a dead boyfriend. However, I'm not seeing my lovers in person right now due to the pandemic.
I rolled my eyes at the polyamory but widened them at the necrophilia.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I rolled my eyes at the polyamory but widened them at the necrophilia.
You and I are clearly incompatible. I didn't choose for my boyfriend to die in 2015.

D

Deleted member 29081

You and I are clearly incompatible. I didn't choose for my boyfriend to die in 2015.
Okay. Maybe it's just a miswording, but I have to ask. You don't consider yourself to still be in a relationship with him, right?

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
The essence of storytelling is "change", with or without the desires to do so. Suffering is just the need to get somewhere one could have been.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Okay. Maybe it's just a miswording, but I have to ask. You don't consider yourself to still be in a relationship with him, right?
We had a date scheduled for the day after he died, so that relationship never ended as far as I'm concerned. His widow calls him her dead husband. I call him my dead boyfriend. He'll never be an ex to either of us.