Talk about child physical abuse in a chapter.

RedHunter2296

Competitive Professional In Being Ignored
Hello everyone

Today I think I have a difficult topic in my novel that I want to talk about, but due to the seriousness of the topic I want to do it in the best way possible.

This topic is child physical abuse.

My first question quickly, is it allowed to talk about it on this website?

The idea of my chapter has nothing to do with showing violent things with children or anything like that. Instead I try to talk about the effects that physical abuse from an early age can have on a person.

The protagonist of my novel suffered from such problems since he was young and that would explain several behaviors that the other characters notice as strange, such as how antisocial he is or how he doesn't want to have children because he considers himself a bad father. In a chapter where they travel to the protagonist's mind, you can see how even though he is now an adult, he still resents the pain he received as a child for some unimportant issues such as breaking something by mistake.

The second question regarding the topic is how would you try to develop the topic, in the most serious and "professional" way possible?

Again, my intention is not to be a flashy chapter using a complicated topic. Instead it is to show the real way in which something as simple as a happy and united outdoor family, even in those places there can be ugly things hidden from the naked eye of an outsider.

As always, thank you in advance

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
Child abuse is alright to talk about in this site. You should be fine as long as you aren't promoting it.
The second question regarding the topic is how would you try to develop the topic, in the most serious and "professional" way possible?
It is always a challenge to incorporate serious topics into a novel. The easiest way is to make the tone serious and mature with the language you use. A harder way is to have the MC make jokes about past traumas. It can work, but it isn't really advised if the tone is already serious. Jokes can help in dark times, but they have to be tasteful. And more importantly funnier than the situation is tragic.

RedHunter2296

Competitive Professional In Being Ignored
It is always a challenge to incorporate serious topics into a novel. The easiest way is to make the tone serious and mature with the language you use. A harder way is to have the MC make jokes about past traumas. It can work, but it isn't really advised if the tone is already serious. Jokes can help in dark times, but they have to be tasteful. And more importantly funnier than the situation is tragic.
The chapter, trying to explain it in a more or less simple way, as the harem of girls of the protagonist, ends up inside the mind of the protagonist who is unconscious, and while they are there they see certain things that he did not want to show them, one of them was that his antisocial personality comes from family problems since childhood.

And at some point try to put the beaten child to make it a little clearer for slower readers.

Although the series is generally comic, I want to treat this subject in a serious way because it is an important part of the whole novel and it contrasts with the rest of the series, as an important event.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
The chapter, trying to explain it in a more or less simple way, as the harem of girls of the protagonist, ends up inside the mind of the protagonist who is unconscious, and while they are there they see certain things that he did not want to show them, one of them was that his antisocial personality comes from family problems since childhood.

And at some point try to put the beaten child to make it a little clearer for slower readers.

Although the series is generally comic, I want to treat this subject in a serious way because it is an important part of the whole novel and it contrasts with the rest of the series, as an important event.
You can show instances that made him the way he is. I actually did this with an abuse victim in one of my stories. The important thing is to be confident in your story telling. There are books made for middle schoolers that feature child abuse. Make it relatable for the readers who have shared in that experience, or make people able to sympathize with him. It is easiest if you make the abusers irredeemable, but if you make even them able to be sympathized with, you will have a rough challenge on your hands.

SomethingStuffHappend

Just say it
Good luck I’d say write the most tear jerking chapter you’ve ever written make people question it and angry. Fuck being professional why would you be professional it’s a tragedy not a job interview

edit:
actually now that I think more about it don’t over do the tragedy. Hopeless tragedy’s usually don’t live long or they are so broken you can’t relate to it because of how inhumane they are

Last edited:

MrToothySmiles

People who are often bullied a lot or beaten up a lot as children, tend to flinch a lot in situations. Sometimes they develop bodily instincts to avoid physical contact too.

People who have been through child abuse don't all become anti social, but those who do also have a very short temper on some very specific topics, like if the abusers excuse was that the child didn't clean the house, went outside without permission, the topic of unfinished work or acting behind the back may be this persons mine field. Even when this person is normally very easy going.

If they have put up with some stuff, they will often expect others to be able to bear it too. So if someone doesn't keep up to expectations, they might also get emotional or disapproving of that person.

Generally they will try to hide it. So most may just try to brush it off with 'Yeah i was beaten up a lot as a child, so what?'
Maybe show it through actions? Since your protagonist definitely doesn't seem like someone who'd willingly talk about it. At most, maybe have him throw some broken lines like '[abuser refer] did this, did that, i never understood why' something of that sort?

Adults who have been through child abuse often have a inferior complex too?
Like most will just go
'You haven't been through this??!'

Other then that i also really don't know, unless you had already written small hints through out the story.

Last edited:

TotallyHuman

Say fuck it and pull all stops out and make the most shocking and gratuitous chapter where kids are being waterboarded left and right

D

Deleted member 113259

Say fuck it and pull all stops out and make the most shocking and gratuitous chapter where kids are being waterboarded left and right
Waterboarding is the worst you can think of? Got a fear of drowning, witch?

ForestDweller

I think it's fine. I don't have any in my novel but I do want to write about it someday. Like a story about an abused kid getting sold into slavery.

StrongArm

If your character was abused as a child, then its likely that he would have lingering mental scars and disorders. Ive had girlfriends, friends and known other people who were abused as children. Many of them have... issues. Nymphomania, extreme violence and antisocial behaviors, callous personality disorder, since he is male he might have homosexual attractions and hate himself (this is the type of person that usually has the most hate for gay men - they are deep in the closet and will react violently if you call them gay. they have profound shame for themselves). For a woman, she might become something like a prostitute or golddigger. Girls who were abused sometimes develop a predatory mindset when it comes to the opposite sex - using them in the same way they were used.

I cannot stress enough about the lingering emotional & psychological damage that abuse of that nature causes.

You should do your research into the lingering damage that these people live with, so you could write a more accurate character (if you havent already done this :blob_sir: )

For your first question, i think its fine so long as you dont actually depict it in your novel.

For the second question, i think the best way to showcase the the issue of abuse, is to make a mess of a character, this character will likely be someone with very deep issues and flaws. Antisocial disorders so strong that the character even finds a simple act like walking to a store and buying groceries incredibly draining (because he has to deal with people). Another way to showcase it might be a criminal record - If he has rage issues then its not strange for him to be familiar with a jail cell for knocking peoples teeth out for looking at him the wrong way.

Edit: This post was for sexual abuse. ( i thought thats what you meant by abuse) I dont know the psychological effects for just normal harm. But they would be sure to have extremely deep daddy/mommy issues

Last edited:

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Yes.

Well, I would recommend treating it with great seriousness. Include charts and graphs. I'm sure your "How To" guide would be a lot easier to comprehend if you included a series of pictures showing the best way to abuse a child. Maybe occasionally have a little cheerful animal on the side that has a word balloon.

Example:
PRO TIP: Beating a child with a sock full of oranges will send a message to the child, without leaving any bruises. Always important if the child isn't technically yours... yet.

Maybe have a FAQ chapter. Ways to build underground and secure Child Storage Facilities. That sort of thing.
I'm sure if you are undertaking this project, you have way more ideas than I do.

Aader

I am too old for this shit.
Child abuse... that's a touchy subject innit

I know I have a place in hell reserved for me for that joke

Rhaps

Master of Nightmare
I have a lot of experience in physical abuse (not from my family, they are great people, but from myself), so I can describe the pain really well. Mostly because I was curious.

This isn't an advice from some sort of professional, it's from an unhinged sociopath lol.

In writing, abuse can effect them both negatively and positively. A motivation pushing the character forward, or an obstacle holding them back. Remember, this is fiction, you don't need to be sensitive about it. And if someone make a fuss, thats their issue.