Thanos Logic~ a budding theory from an MCU fan

Alfir

The Inventor of Words
Don't throw stones at me yet! Lol~I just need to get this out of my system.
That aside, I just had enlightenment while I busy myself with my MCU fanfic, I realize there might actually be a more profound reason why Thanos annihilated half of life in the universe instead of doubling the resources. I am not being an environmentalist if I say it's because more resources would catastrophically shift the environment or anything.

What I do know however is that more resources would result in people wanting more... Fewer resources don't really mean wanting war as Thanos suggested either.
I think his ideal would be an overarching plot for the continuing phase 4 of MCU. That's a wild guess on my part, but damn, I love MCU despite the shitty She-Hulk even existing.

Returning to the topic at hand... If a civilization has more resources, and more people, it would have more leeway and chances of advancing, developing, and inventing. I mean, a civilization that thrives in multiverse technology is not impossible. If civilization continues to survive, and improve itself, it will come to a time they'd start exploring planes outside their universe.

Using a time machine to travel to the past to steal the past timeline's resources seemed a viable option for me too. The idea is insane, but I think the same reason why Kang the Emperor became so powerful is exactly this. By exploiting almost an infinite amount of resources from other universes/timelines, he was able to build an empire! This is what the TVA has been trying to stop since its founding.
Multiverse technology had literally infinite possibilities.

For example. If I have a time machine... Instead of going to the far past to save Dodo Birds from extinction, I'd rather steal a couple of Dodo Birds and bring them to my timeline. Who knows? Though far, the Dodo BIrd might actually live and reproduce in my timeline. The idea of multiverse technology is so powerful it is giving me wild fantasies about how the MCU will pan out.

TVA thriving in multiverse technology since the Loki TV series is the most insane sci-fi thought I encountered in the MCU. Though similar plots are explored in other fiction like in the Ben 10 movie how the villain is manufacturing clones of himself through time travel, and the famous Back to the Future of a lad's escapades through time, it has never been addressed how these phenomena can be used to improve civilization as a whole. A Multiverse Civilization is just that awesome.

Thanos didn't care about civilization. he cared about the peace of the universe. And what is peace if not the opposite of war? It is a very thought-provoking question. Does Thanos's act of annihilating half of the life in the universe actually so that the 'Multiverse War' won't even happen? Maybe he is aware they exist in the sacred timeline, and maybe even had contact with He Who Remains. My argument doesn't have much backing, but if Thanos really succeeded in Infinity War and the Avengers didn't even bother to time travel and do Endgame, the Sacred Timeline could have bought more time for itself to 'exist' in peace.

What do you think?

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
At first, I thought resources would be the first thing we would tackle in the long run after exploiting everything we had but after realizing how the world turned out, I felt like we shouldn't have any problems with resources but the 'lack' of how we use it. Its like we have an endless amounts of knowledge stored on the internet, free for anyone to access but why the hell is the IQ lower than what it seems on the surface? We should have no problem with understanding stuff considering we can just take any sort of ideas on the internet and put it to good use but instead, we just turned cavemen even at the simplest of task.

I feel like we should have advance through the future age at this point but because of how things turned up, its not the lack of knowledge but the fear of opening something one shouldn't. Thanos might think its just a resources but he also considers the ramifications of such events, hence, creating a threat to kick people back to reality and understand that wars brought understanding that not everything is peaceful, the ignorance of accepting that reality will never be peaceful unless everyone unites into one banner and improve to a new age.

HelloHound

Hound of hell, lover of girls
After t-man skewered half the population of everything all that did was mess up the rest because bacteria is probably included and then went rampant and that's not counting all the drivers and such who crashed after disappearing.
If I remember correctly Thanos was just a loser pining after Death who was canonically hot for deadpool

Premier

Thanos didn't halve all of all life because he thought it was the best plan. He did it for ego reasons.

He killed half of the people on his home planet Titan and ever since he's been seeking validation for doing it.

His whole arc is "I'll show them, I'll show them all!"

BigBadBoi

The canon reason was he was simping hard for death and got cucked by deadpool anyway. He was literally courting death.

Foxxy

At first, I thought resources would be the first thing we would tackle in the long run after exploiting everything we had but after realizing how the world turned out, I felt like we shouldn't have any problems with resources but the 'lack' of how we use it. Its like we have an endless amounts of knowledge stored on the internet, free for anyone to access but why the hell is the IQ lower than what it seems on the surface? We should have no problem with understanding stuff considering we can just take any sort of ideas on the internet and put it to good use but instead, we just turned cavemen even at the simplest of task.

I feel like we should have advance through the future age at this point but because of how things turned up, its not the lack of knowledge but the fear of opening something one shouldn't. Thanos might think its just a resources but he also considers the ramifications of such events, hence, creating a threat to kick people back to reality and understand that wars brought understanding that not everything is peaceful, the ignorance of accepting that reality will never be peaceful unless everyone unites into one banner and improve to a new age.
there is also the fact that we have to much information thrown at us, our brains can only handle so much and process it.

CubicleHermit

The canon reason was he was simping hard for death and got cucked by deadpool anyway. He was literally courting death.
The original arc he appeared in made crazy little sense, but hey, it was the 1970s. I read through all of the Marvel super-hero titles from the start around Fantastic 4 #1 to part way through 1975, and just entirely ran out of steam for how weird things got.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Everyone is the protagonist in their own story.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
Don't throw stones at me yet! Lol~I just need to get this out of my system.
That aside, I just had enlightenment while I busy myself with my MCU fanfic, I realize there might actually be a more profound reason why Thanos annihilated half of life in the universe instead of doubling the resources. I am not being an environmentalist if I say it's because more resources would catastrophically shift the environment or anything.

What I do know however is that more resources would result in people wanting more... Fewer resources don't really mean wanting war as Thanos suggested either.
I think his ideal would be an overarching plot for the continuing phase 4 of MCU. That's a wild guess on my part, but damn, I love MCU despite the shitty She-Hulk even existing.

Returning to the topic at hand... If a civilization has more resources, and more people, it would have more leeway and chances of advancing, developing, and inventing. I mean, a civilization that thrives in multiverse technology is not impossible. If civilization continues to survive, and improve itself, it will come to a time they'd start exploring planes outside their universe.

Using a time machine to travel to the past to steal the past timeline's resources seemed a viable option for me too. The idea is insane, but I think the same reason why Kang the Emperor became so powerful is exactly this. By exploiting almost an infinite amount of resources from other universes/timelines, he was able to build an empire! This is what the TVA has been trying to stop since its founding.
Multiverse technology had literally infinite possibilities.

For example. If I have a time machine... Instead of going to the far past to save Dodo Birds from extinction, I'd rather steal a couple of Dodo Birds and bring them to my timeline. Who knows? Though far, the Dodo BIrd might actually live and reproduce in my timeline. The idea of multiverse technology is so powerful it is giving me wild fantasies about how the MCU will pan out.

TVA thriving in multiverse technology since the Loki TV series is the most insane sci-fi thought I encountered in the MCU. Though similar plots are explored in other fiction like in the Ben 10 movie how the villain is manufacturing clones of himself through time travel, and the famous Back to the Future of a lad's escapades through time, it has never been addressed how these phenomena can be used to improve civilization as a whole. A Multiverse Civilization is just that awesome.

Thanos didn't care about civilization. he cared about the peace of the universe. And what is peace if not the opposite of war? It is a very thought-provoking question. Does Thanos's act of annihilating half of the life in the universe actually so that the 'Multiverse War' won't even happen? Maybe he is aware they exist in the sacred timeline, and maybe even had contact with He Who Remains. My argument doesn't have much backing, but if Thanos really succeeded in Infinity War and the Avengers didn't even bother to time travel and do Endgame, the Sacred Timeline could have bought more time for itself to 'exist' in peace.

What do you think?
MCU just sucks just a fact. And a doubling of resources or even a tripling would not help the people of the world as it will be organized solely into an oligarchical class that reaps all the rewards. The rich get richer and the poorer get poorer. Sounds familiar. Plus, all the new resources would turn everyone into a degenerate because everyone becomes lazy off all this surplus. Like @Alaska who got lazy

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Ugh. Here's the problem.

If 3% of the population drops dead in a year, civilization collapses.

This is a historical fact.

If you kill half of every self ware being, is it random? Okay, yer gonna have spikes with small populations. For example, you might lose an equal amount of men and women, but what about farmers?

Thr infrastructure of the world requires the people we have. Delete 50% of people, we'll be lucky to keep the lights on.

Then there's the pilots that we're flying planes, the cars now without drivers, the lack of paramedics.

Kill another 5% good by in the first five minutes, another 5% in 24 hous and the 10% in the next month from suicide, violence from the collapse of social order and starvation.

Contrary to popular belief, we do not have a food shortage. We have a distribution shortage. Half the farmers will be fine. Half the mouths to be fed will be fine. Half the truck drivers?

The entire system will collapse. We already can't deliver shit on time everywhere.

Now you are down to 30% population with 20% lying in the street, rotting.

In the end, we'd be lucky to stabilize at 25% of original population and have a technology level equal to the 1950s. Most likely whole sections on the planet are just feudal warlords and rotting cities with roving packs of religious fanatics thinking its the fuckin rapture and they are trying to prove they are worthy of trying to get into heaven. How you do that?

Kill some heretics. DUH.

The snap only works if you don't think about it. I hate anything that requires me to not think.

The M-she-U sucks.

Echimera

He has the chance to rewrite the laws of reality and can't come up with a way that ensures that resources won't run out? Or that ensure population growth automatically adjusts top the available resources?

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
---
Side note, I hate Tony's solution. 5 years later bring everyone back?

Okay, the world is now at 25% original pop. It's had 5 years to retool at that point. Let's say, somehow, we didn't turn into mad max beyond the thunderdome.

At that point we're making food at 25% capacity. We will have burned through all excess stockpiles just to survive the collapse of the infrastructure.

The 50% come back.

Ignoring the 5% who appear in the air without their airplane, or all the people who appear in the road and tumble to a stop from 60 MPH. We're not just gonna lose 20% this time.

Because now we're gonna need ar least twice as much food, maybe more. You can't just make that. You need time, at least a year. One year of people starving, wanting their homes back, finding loved ones who hung themselves because they couldn't live without them.

And these new people? They're healthy. They haven't been through 5 years of hell. They are right off the bench. You think they are just gonna roll over and starve to death?

FUCK NO.

Tony turned the world into a hellscape, a second time. I doubt that society could recover. The first time would gave been a strain. The second? Fuck. Dear god. It would not surprise me if the returnees and the remainers went to war with one another.

25% remaining population? Ha. I bet in the end, we'd be lucky if humanity survived, period.

And this same situation is going on every, single planet. The higher the level of technology, the more specialization of citizens, the more vulnerability, the more society collapses.

Thanos didn't help the universe by halving the population. I bet in the end self-aware life forms was reduced to 10% original and more than a few planets had everyone go extinct.

Save the universe? He committed mass genocide and the destruction of countless civilizations and cultures that will be lost forever.

Because, remember, for most of the universe, nobody knows why, or how this happened, or if it will happen again. Why not in another 5 years? Will I lose half my loved ones again?How many societies would just give the fuck up?

And for what? To save his kid and all the children born after the snap. A handful of children, in exchange for 90% of everyone else?

Tony was just fuckin evil.
One more thing, sooner or later people are gonna hear how and why. Every space going civilization is going to band together and scour the universe for that glove.

My wife dead?a magic glove can save her and undo all this horror? Youthink I am not questing the God damn galaxy for that thing?

And I am one man. There will be trillions, just like me seeking that damn thing. It will be madness.

Last edited:

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
Population is also a resource. By not just killing everyone, but literally wiping them from existence, he actively diminished the universe's resources by at least a third. All of the mass, the energy, and the potential that those people had poofed out of existence. His plan was never founded in reality. There was no genius; no logic. He was stupid from beginning to end.

As for multiverses... To be honest, I wanted to say you could harvest uninhabited universes for resources, but the truth is that you should work on your own universe first. Maybe getting resources from other universes would help with that... But fighting a war over resources you already have just laying around is dumb.

To summarize, if he thought resources were running out, he should have looked for a way to get new ones, not just prevent the ones currently available from being used.