That ONE defining moment.

So_Indecisive

Primordial sin of Sloth
Honestly at some point in our lives we reach certain crossroads or checkpoints, that can drastically alter and shape our perception and even lead you to become an entirely different person than you were just moments ago.
For me that would be on a certain day when I was in JSS3( basically ninth grade).

That day I was scurrying around different rooms in the hostel, checking if anyone had a golden bowtie I could borrow for my yearbook picture. After walking aimlessly for some minutes I stumbled upon a room filled with my classmates. It seemed the seniors weren't around and the place was stuffy so I really didn't want to waste my time there as I was really tired and just wanted to have this picture taken so I could go to sleep. Now I wasn't very popular, I was fat, wasn't very clean and didn't have many friends at that time. So you beat believe I was getting bullied most of the time, looking back on it it's hilarious that I found 13 year old brats terrifying but I did get beat up sometimes, this occasion was another where I was probably going to get beat up and in a very humiliating manner to boot.

One of my classmates P sitting on the top bunk in the room feeling all high and mighty proposed to I an absolutely funny idea that had come to his mind at the moment. "HEY I why don't you beat up So_indecisive and I'll give you the turkey from my meal tonight". Honestly you'd think this guy even as stupid as he was to have at least a tiny shred of self respect and choose not to be commanded by someone else in the same age group for a piece of meat(are you a goddamn dog I) but he was quickly onboard with the idea.

Like I said it was a very humiliating thing. All those boys watching from their beds with not even one person stepping out to tell them to stop. Their taunting smiles and smug faces as they put me on the spot like that making me a gladiator in a ring(is there an adage for that). Yeah it made me angry, levels of anger I had never reached before came surging in and then I just snapped. One thing I was still walking towards me slowly taunting me while smiling and then the next thing he knew his face was planted on the metal door of the room.
From JSS1-3( 7TH TO 9TH GRADE) I had been bullied a lot by a lot of people. I was very shy and disliked confrontation and I suffered from it. But when I slammed I's face into that door and when I saw him bleeding from his nose, I felt something dark stirring in me and I slammed his head a couple more times into the door for good measure. When he managed to get his head out of my grip and started throwing punches I responded with equal fervour. It hurt throwing punches at the head instead of somewhere soft like the stomach but I was barely feeling it as adrenaline coursed through my system.
The next thing I knew he was on the floor as I used my substantial weight to pin him to the ground( I was a very chunky monkey back then okay😭) and I was just wailing on him.
At this point the bastards who had since been cheering for the fight to start and watching from their pedestals had already long since stopped cheering( I'm sure they didn't expect blood to start flying everywhere like that) and were quickly upon me trying to stop the fight. They eventually managed to get me off him as well as push me out of the room but I didn't care because my heart was pounding, I couldn't feel the pain just excitement. I had never in my life felt as powerful as I did in that moment, seeing someone who caused me fear being so small and helpless in my hands made me giddy. Throughout the year I'd get into fights with many people both classmates and seniors who were older, taller and tougher than me.
Looking back it was something unimaginable for the me prior to this getting into any conflict at all. Even to this day I don't think anyone can threaten me with physical harm unless they pull out a gun(honestly if you see a gun just apologise it ain't worth your life).

So what are some defining moments in your life and how have they shaped the you today.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
This is personal but I've been surrounded by narcissists for a good portion of my life and started taking on a lot of their traits. I still have some, but the defining moment was the decision to let go of the friendship of someone who was a narcissist. After that, I realized I had become somewhat of a narcissist myself.

It takes realization that you might be a narcissist to stop being one. A lot of narcissists will constantly insist that they are the victim and everyone else is to blame. It's also one of the reasons I have a somewhat divisive opinion on mental health care these days, because I feel like some of it promotes narcissism as a coping mechanism and doesn't really address the problem that some counseling could actually make a narcissist worse.

Also, narcissists usually suffer from some depression, a lot of it is because they believe that no one sees them as 'good' and thus they have to show others or get angry at them.

I guess that was the defining moment.

I've been doing better in all aspects of my life since then. Granted, you may still find I have some narcissistic tendencies, but at least I'm not a delusional dragon/vampire/cookie eating cat/time traveling bearded man/maid when i'm not really a maid/blob/fish/little school girl/puppet/princess or anything like that.

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
Honestly at some point in our lives we reach certain crossroads or checkpoints, that can drastically alter and shape our perception and even lead you to become an entirely different person than you were just moments ago.
For me that would be on a certain day when I was in JSS3( basically ninth grade).

That day I was scurrying around different rooms in the hostel, checking if anyone had a golden bowtie I could borrow for my yearbook picture. After walking aimlessly for some minutes I stumbled upon a room filled with my classmates. It seemed the seniors weren't around and the place was stuffy so I really didn't want to waste my time there as I was really tired and just wanted to have this picture taken so I could go to sleep. Now I wasn't very popular, I was fat, wasn't very clean and didn't have many friends at that time. So you beat believe I was getting bullied most of the time, looking back on it it's hilarious that I found 13 year old brats terrifying but I did get beat up sometimes, this occasion was another where I was probably going to get beat up and in a very humiliating manner to boot.

One of my classmates P sitting on the top bunk in the room feeling all high and mighty proposed to I an absolutely funny idea that had come to his mind at the moment. "HEY I why don't you beat up So_indecisive and I'll give you the turkey from my meal tonight". Honestly you'd think this guy even as stupid as he was to have at least a tiny shred of self respect and choose not to be commanded by someone else in the same age group for a piece of meat(are you a goddamn dog I) but he was quickly onboard with the idea.

Like I said it was a very humiliating thing. All those boys watching from their beds with not even one person stepping out to tell them to stop. Their taunting smiles and smug faces as they put me on the spot like that making me a gladiator in a ring(is there an adage for that). Yeah it made me angry, levels of anger I had never reached before came surging in and then I just snapped. One thing I was still walking towards me slowly taunting me while smiling and then the next thing he knew his face was planted on the metal door of the room.
From JSS1-3( 7TH TO 9TH GRADE) I had been bullied a lot by a lot of people. I was very shy and disliked confrontation and I suffered from it. But when I slammed I's face into that door and when I saw him bleeding from his nose, I felt something dark stirring in me and I slammed his head a couple more times into the door for good measure. When he managed to get his head out of my grip and started throwing punches I responded with equal fervour. It hurt throwing punches at the head instead of somewhere soft like the stomach but I was barely feeling it as adrenaline coursed through my system.
The next thing I knew he was on the floor as I used my substantial weight to pin him to the ground( I was a very chunky monkey back then okay😭) and I was just wailing on him.
At this point the bastards who had since been cheering for the fight to start and watching from their pedestals had already long since stopped cheering( I'm sure they didn't expect blood to start flying everywhere like that) and were quickly upon me trying to stop the fight. They eventually managed to get me off him as well as push me out of the room but I didn't care because my heart was pounding, I couldn't feel the pain just excitement. I had never in my life felt as powerful as I did in that moment, seeing someone who caused me fear being so small and helpless in my hands made me giddy. Throughout the year I'd get into fights with many people both classmates and seniors who were older, taller and tougher than me.
Looking back it was something unimaginable for the me prior to this getting into any conflict at all. Even to this day I don't think anyone can threaten me with physical harm unless they pull out a gun(honestly if you see a gun just apologise it ain't worth your life).

So what are some defining moments in your life and how have they shaped the you today.
Hmmm... I was thinking of talking about the horrid moments that defined my life.
But I changed my mind.
Uhhh... a really special moment that I think back to for as a core memory of family is getting to go to an amusement park for the first time with dad.

Bloodbath_Voracity

The lockdown dude. The monotony prevented me from running away from my thoughts. Had no choice but to confront the shadow. That was probably what they call a spiritual awakening... Worked on myself for a year (healing the traumas, forgiving people and myself, and becoming a stoic and taoist philosopher).. I'm still on that journey and I don't think I'm in the end road yet.

Just that, yes, I succeeded on the goal of being indifferent to the external things, unaffected by the vicissitudes of the human kind, however, the side effect is that I lost my interest in life. I have become too detached.

Everything becomes superficial and because it's superficial, I don't find it worth engaging for...

For example, in relationships. Everyone is gonna die. I (or anyone) can die tomorrow or maybe at this very moment. I accepted that after a struggle. Everything is transient and most things are not in our control.

But due to this, because of this mindset, I don't find the worth in building connections with others anymore. I mean, for what?

I find no worthy ideal or goal that I should pursue. If there's something I want, I want to fight. But it's a peaceful era. And it might bring more harm than good. I feel reluctant to follow my heart.

Hans.Trondheim

Mr Negative | Avoid at all cost
My defining moment?

That time when I ended up losing my job because I stood up for my student that was raped by my co-teacher.

I mean, I don't care at what I did, but of what happened after. When I tried to sneak in my school for the last time to gather my things (it was in the middle of their prom), our students rushed to greet me, effectively sidelining their event and making me feel I mattered.

First time I felt I'm 'alive', seriously.

LuoirM

Voidiris' enthusiast feet enjoyer.
*pat pat everyone*
In writing I think this is similar to an inciting incident. And I don't have one, I don't recall my childhood maybe because I'm only 18 years old. But I'm glad I'm creating some with the most racist, gay and horny people I know

Insomniologist

Nemurenu Kyōfu
The moment I realized that I don’t really have a defined personality.
It was weird. Suddenly I just realized that I don’t really know anything about myself besides the fact I like reading and that I despise spiders with a passion.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
No big moment. I had a few smaller ones, tho. Buying an untranslated game by mistake during 6th grade got me into languages, scoring a B- in a latin assignment a few weeks later got me into translations. A random decision to join a sketchy-looking forum got me friends I haven't lost contact with even now.

Going to university led to me losing faith into education and I learnt to hate bureaucracy...

Woolen_Bat_Monkey

Adopted son of Envy/Current owner of LuoirM nose
Memory not found
It may have been moved, edited, or deleted
ERR_MEMORY_NOT_FOUND

Last edited:

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
My second year of college for me. That’s when I basically realized that it was too late to turn back, not that I necessarily planned to. Though still unsettling knowing that the majority of careers or professions are things that I could no longer be able experience. I had gone from having many possible options for my future to narrowing it down to a small few.

Voidiris

Gaze into the abyss to truly see?
I noticed after a horror story that life had no meaning around 7 years ago.
Made me value entertainment far more.
Before that I decided to life my life logically.
I uphold this belief until now.
I don't believe in defining moments.
If we want to be precise every small thing that happens is more or less defining.
We might not notice it but we change over time without great defining moments.+
Those of course cause greater change most of the times.
I can definitely see where this belief comes from.
Especially because we would probably agree on many aspects of existence.