That time when I was still an edgy weeb...

• Thread starter Deleted member 54065
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 54065

Nice manga strip! But, how did you manage to leave the weeb phase?!
Well, one day, I realized I can't and I have no knowledge of Japanese culture. It's making it hard for me to write stories without proper research, and intimate knowledge of these people. So I dropped trying hard to be one, and just embraced my own.

D

Deleted member 113259

Nah, I'm over that phase. Being in constant state of anger about all things I have no control with is futile and non-sensical.

Nowadays, I aim to get along with everyone, hence it's hard for me to write edgy characters.
I guess disconnecting from their work is harder for some people. I try to get along with those around me, (unless it's funny to intentionally annoy them), but I find no character easier to write than a borderline sociopathic scumbag.

D

Deleted member 54065

I guess disconnecting from their work is harder for some people. I try to get along with those around me, (unless it's funny to intentionally annoy them), but I find no character easier to write than a borderline sociopathic scumbag.
Well, the reason I don't disconnect from my work is that, part of my technique as a writer is to 'feel' and 'think' like the character I'm writing. Along with observing other people, it forms an 'authentically human' experience my readers enjoy in my style.

I can safely say that rather base the characters on myself, I become my character.

I've read characters whose traits I know well, yet they are awkwardly portrayed and written. Hence, my writing style is to avoid such situations.

D

Deleted member 113259

Well, the reason I don't disconnect from my work is that, part of my technique as a writer is to 'feel' and 'think' like the character I'm writing. Along with observing other people, it forms an 'authentically human' experience my readers enjoy in my style.

I can safely say that rather base the characters on myself, I become my character.
I can somewhat relate to that, but that's only for the chapter. Once the chapter is done you're no longer that guy.

D

Deleted member 54065

I can somewhat relate to that, but that's only for the chapter. Once the chapter is done you're no longer that guy.
Yeah, true. But I write in manuscripts, and that takes time. Also, I act like my character (especially when I'm writing) so as to observe how their behavior is received by people around me.

Think of it like an actor researching for his upcoming role.

D

Deleted member 113259

Yeah, true. But I write in manuscripts, and that takes time. Also, I act like my character (especially when I'm writing) so as to observe how their behavior is received by people around me.

Think of it like an actor researching for his upcoming role.
Ah, so you're a method actor.

D

Deleted member 54065

Ah, so you're a method actor.
Yep, since I aim for the 'authenticity' of the characters' reactions in my story.

Lol--on a related note--that's why I find it laughable, those people who say that my powerless MC is 'beta' because he sometimes let trespasses go. I mean, dude's got no magic or cheat powers and thrusted into a world of magic and nobility, and he'd just go and pick a fight with whoever he wanted? Heck, I'm sure if they same happened to them, they'd cower in fetal position and cry in one corner. :blobrofl: