The art of revenge

GreyJackass

Just finished watching I Saw The Devil. That was the best revenge story I've ever seen

Not because how brutal the revenge is. Not because how badass the protagonist is. Ofc the film also had it, but only just enough for the sake of story, and not to be glorified

My most favorite aspect of it was the main villain.

I've read and watch bunch of revenge stories. Fukushu O Koinegau Saiko Yuusha, Redo of Healer, or even John Wick. Not to mention all the manhwa and manhwa, you can name it yourself.

Yes, they presented a good brutal revenge, but it just feel empty. After all, even the villain was a powerful man/woman in their world, sooner or later, MC Will beat them up by the end of the day

The trope was always the same. The villain was just a brainless nasty bitch who commit crimes to MC for a stupid and childish reason. And at the end, they Will beg for mercy and cry for their life

That's it

No room for thrill, nor logic. No real consequencrs too for the MC

Kyungchul (the main villain of I Saw The Devil) was a ruthless man. He's a Ra*ist, murderer, and a jerk. Even after the MC tortuted him so badly he barely could walk, he still managed to risen up and threatened MC's safety. It:s not just classic cat-and-mouse play. Either the MC and Kyungchul are predators. Even at the end, Kyungchul was laugh at MC's failure to protect the one he loves once again (that, that's how you make a perfect villain for revenge stories)

Agentt

Thighs
He's a Ra*ist, murderer, and a jerk.
Coward....
Be a giga chad and stop censorship!

Kyungchul (the main villain of I Saw The Devil) was a ruthless man. He's a Ra*ist, murderer, and a jerk. Even after the MC tortuted him so badly he barely could walk, he still managed to risen up and threatened MC's safety. It:s not just classic cat-and-mouse play. Either the MC and Kyungchul are predators. Even at the end, Kyungchul was laugh at MC's failure to protect the one he loves once again (that, that's how you make a perfect villain for revenge stories)
But it does sound like a good read, I hope the rise of the villain is better than, "Somehow Palpatine returned"

GreyJackass

No and this is in the wrong category
I thought this section for more general disucssion like this. I tried to delete it and put it to right section, but I can't find a way
Coward....
Be a giga chad and stop censorship!
I used to post in Facebook, and my account often banned by 'supposedly-violation', I thought SH would be the same, just to be safe 😶

Agentt

Thighs
I thought this section for more general disucssion like this.
Scribblehub Discussion is for talking about the site itself, there is a general chat where you can post this.

You cannot change the sections, unfortunately. That does suck. A moderator has to come along to do it.

You can report your own post to do that.

I used to post in Facebook, and my account often banned by 'supposedly-violation', I thought SH would be the same, just to be safe 😶
Fuck the Zuck...

Desustar

redo of healer was shit. I've forgotten lots of stuff which has good revenge, but one that I do remember and love is Sansa Stark's.

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
Just finished watching I Saw The Devil. That was the best revenge story I've ever seen

Not because how brutal the revenge is. Not because how badass the protagonist is. Ofc the film also had it, but only just enough for the sake of story, and not to be glorified

My most favorite aspect of it was the main villain.

I've read and watch bunch of revenge stories. Fukushu O Koinegau Saiko Yuusha, Redo of Healer, or even John Wick. Not to mention all the manhwa and manhwa, you can name it yourself.

Yes, they presented a good brutal revenge, but it just feel empty. After all, even the villain was a powerful man/woman in their world, sooner or later, MC Will beat them up by the end of the day

The trope was always the same. The villain was just a brainless nasty bitch who commit crimes to MC for a stupid and childish reason. And at the end, they Will beg for mercy and cry for their life

That's it

No room for thrill, nor logic. No real consequencrs too for the MC

Nah nah. Best revenge story is The Count of Monte Cristo (the book. I haven't watched the movies) by far. It really can't be topped. It's a revenge story against three men, each with separate motives, who stuck the main character in prison by planting evidence that made him a (I believe Bonapartist?). Totally better.

GreyJackass

redo of healer was shit. I've forgotten lots of stuff which has good revenge, but one that I do remember and love is Sansa Stark's.
Ramsay Bolton was the best thing that ever happened for GoT since season 4. The man was a walking disaster. I love how Sansa Made him eaten by his own dogs, but I prefer the scene where Jon beat him badly

Lloyd

Professional Writer
Nah nah. Best revenge story is The Count of Monte Cristo (the book. I haven't watched the movies) by far. It really can't be topped. It's a revenge story against three men, each with separate motives, who stuck the main character in prison by planting evidence that made him a (I believe Bonapartist?). Totally better.
The anime is more faithful to the book than the movie.

ForestDweller

My golden standard for revenge stories is still the Count of Monte Cristo.

It even has a waifu slave girl.