The fame is getting to me

MissPaige36

✨Senior Forum Citizen✨
So I just recently found this site and decided to post my book here that I’m writing for fun since I uh posted it on wattpad before this. But there, I only got at best 15 views so I’ve always thought my story is terrible yeah? But in one day of posting it here, it already got 200+ views and a few readers! I was super happy! But now that I’m at 700 it’s really slowed down. Is this normal?

D

Deleted member 53101

Congrats! :blob_aww:

I'm also kinda interested in writing some galge/otome based story. Probably because I enjoyed Death Flag, Falling in Love with the Villainess, and The World of Otome Game is Though for Mobs..., but BL is not really my thing as per se. So maybe or may not be, I will read yours. Even if I did, it will be after you stockpiled the chaps.

Anyway, talking about the exposure on this site. This is probably the most author-friendly writing site ever existed. It's way better than Royalroad, and that of the wat ..., what is the pad name again? All thanks to the little Latest Series that will stick your new story for 24 hours on the front page, or until it got flooded by other series. And then there's the Latest Update section. Though, if you want to get more readers ..., try webnovel qidian. You'll get more views just because their community is larger.

Cossimeri

Purveyor of Yuri Adventures
Honestly around 700 readers I feel like you’ve captured the people who actively search for stories in your genre / tags. At this point growth willl be slow without trending or a lucky break (like your novel being recommended somewhere outside of SH sending users here to you)

Saileri

Your Friendly Neighborhood IT Guy
As many threads in the forum started countless times, it do be like this in the beginning. If you keep posting a few chapters a week, you'll be able to get some attention from the Recently Updated section on the front page, as it's the main source of new readers at first. Don't forget to have a nice cover to attract more attention and a decent synopsis. 700 for a start is quite good for a new series from a new author. I was like at 300 that time.

Jihn

Your friendly neigh-borhood horsey!
I’m thinking of just posting here for a while. 700 reads for a new series seems promising. Took me 21 chapters and almost a year to get 1k reads on Wattpad. They screwed up their algorithm as well. Wattpad used to be like frequent updates x steady readership = popularity but now the site is in decline, and the algorithm is smothered with popular, old stories so less reads and less popularity for new ones.

Candy_Man

I've just checked your statisics. You had a large gain of views for around a day, between May 1 to May 2, followed by a sharp decline that happened at almost the same rate. Each chapter had an average of about 60 reads, and viewership didn't fall off much at all, so readers didn't lose interest.

I think the answer is obvious, what happened was that you put up all your chapters in a short span of time. Precisely the same days mentioned above. This caused views to increase quickly as readers went through the five chapters given in 1-2 days. Then as the chapters were exhausted with no new releases being posted, naturally, views rapidly slowed down.

There's no need to panic, my friend, this was the normal series of events to occur by releasing a bulk number of chapters in one go. If it bothers you, I suggest increasing intervals between releases.

Yes, that means you probably wouldn't get a sudden increase of viewership by slowly posting chapters one by one. However, you'll have a more stable viewership.

Coincidentally, my novel was released just one day before yours with similar number of views, and I released a total of 3 chapters on different days. You can check out my statistics to compare with yours, if you'd like. It's also a good idea to check out statistics of other novels, big and small, to get a feel about what is normal.

In conclusion, there is nothing wrong happening right now. It isn't a bug, nor is your novel bad. You'll understand as time goes by and you make new chapters. :)

Last edited:

MissPaige36

✨Senior Forum Citizen✨
I’m thinking of just posting here for a while. 700 reads for a new series seems promising. Took me 21 chapters and almost a year to get 1k reads on Wattpad. They screwed up their algorithm as well. Wattpad used to be like frequent updates x steady readership = popularity but now the site is in decline, and the algorithm is smothered with popular, old stories so less reads and less popularity for new ones.
Yeah just post it here! It’s worth trying!
I've just checked your statisics. You had a large gain of views for around a day, between May 1 to May 2, followed by a sharp decline that happened at almost the same rate. Each chapter had an average of about 60 reads, and viewership didn't fall off much at all, so readers didn't lose interest.

I think the answer is obvious, what happened was that you put up all your chapters in a short span of time. Precisely the same days mentioned above. This caused views to increase quickly as readers went through the five chapters given in 1-2 days. Then as the chapters were exhausted with no new releases being posted, naturally, views rapidly slowed down.

There's no need to panic, my friend, this was the normal series of events to occur by releasing a bulk number of chapters in one go. If it bothers you, I suggest increasing intervals between releases.

Yes, that means you probably wouldn't get a sudden increase of viewership by slowly posting chapters one by one. However, you'll have a more stable viewership.

Coincidentally, my novel was released just one day before yours with similar number of views, and I released a total of 3 chapters on different days. You can check out my statistics to compare with yours, if you'd like. It's also a good idea to check out statistics of other novels, big and small, to get a feel about what is normal.

In conclusion, there is nothing wrong happening right now. It isn't a bug, nor is your novel bad. You'll understand as time goes by and you make new chapters. :)
Thank you, this has made me more sure as to what to do! I’ll continue to write once a week or more, now that I know there’s nothing strange with my novel! i’ll check out your statistics because I’m curious yeah? I’d also love to get to know more of you writers too!

I'm also kinda interested in writing some galge/otome based story. Probably because I enjoyed Death Flag, Falling in Love with the Villainess, and The World of Otome Game is Though for Mobs..., but BL is not really my thing as per se. So maybe or may not be, I will read yours. Even if I did, it will be after you stockpiled the chaps.

Anyway, talking about the exposure on this site. This is probably the most author-friendly writing site ever existed. It's way better than Royalroad, and that of the wat ..., what is the pad name again? All thanks to the little Latest Series that will stick your new story for 24 hours on the front page, or until it got flooded by other series. And then there's the Latest Update section. Though, if you want to get more readers ..., try webnovel qidian. You'll get more views just because their community is larger.
You don’t need to read mine if you don’t want to, it’s fine! But yeah I also really like the otome based stories, it’s so much fun to read and write about! I might post on qidian once I have 20 ish chapters yeah? I’m still very new haha

Jihn

Your friendly neigh-borhood horsey!
Yeah just post it here! It’s worth trying!
Yeah of course.

I had a story in 2013, and with no promotion whatsoever, it got 300 reads in 6 chapters, which is alright. Pretty good compared to now where I can’t even get 100 reads in 2 chapters without advertising it in a similar time frame.

I see that top stories here get 2M reads, and that’s honestly not bad. Ok, it’s not 100M but it’s still decent for a site like Scribblehub.

ForestDweller

My story gets zero views on Wattpad. So I don't even bother uploading it there anymore.

Bristlecone

Is the community of webnovel really larger? Or is it just the view multiplier (I think it is about 20 or 30 per view)?

D

Deleted member 45782

So I just recently found this site and decided to post my book here that I’m writing for fun since I uh posted it on wattpad before this. But there, I only got at best 15 views so I’ve always thought my story is terrible yeah? But in one day of posting it here, it already got 200+ views and a few readers! I was super happy! But now that I’m at 700 it’s really slowed down. Is this normal?
Congrats. And yeah that does happen. You gain lot views real quick in the first few days and then it slows. Just keep pushing and writing though, don't let that get to you.

D

Deleted member 53101

Is the community of webnovel really larger? Or is it just the view multiplier (I think it is about 20 or 30 per view)?
They have a lot of readers, and the forum also incredibly active. You probably have found a thread with 1k views and tens of replies in this SHF, but could you find 1k replies on a thread other than shiritori or whatever it is in the community games? It's not that rare to see hundreds of replies in their forum, of course ... it's quite chaotic.

EternalSunset0

Glad you got started on the right foot. What you can do is to space your updates every two days or so in order to get your story to appear often in the newly-updated list. It's really very important, and I can tell you that from experience.

As long as you can keep a steady stream of updates, you can see a slow increase in readers, even if you're on a niche/not so popular story. When you go on a hiatus from updating for a long time is when your readership plummets, unless you already got yourself a big and consistent readership before doing so

Plantorsomething

Death Flag and Villainess!, a man of culture I see. It only happened recently btw, but defining posted a new chapter for Death Flags after like a year! Assuming you mean My Death Flags Show No Sign of Ending, sorry, I’ve been reading the word ‘Death Flag’ a lot since I’m writing a fanfic for My Death Flags, and now I strongly associate the words to the title because I read it so much lol.