The future of war

RedHunter2296

Competitive Professional In Being Ignored
Hello everyone.

As it seems tradition, every now and then I come up with a new topic to ask for advice for my novel, and this will be no exception.

The theme this time will be much simpler than usual.

The future of warfare.

In my story there is quite a lot of conflict, in a modern time, but I would like to introduce new elements in it, new inventions, new weapons that could be feasible in the near future at least

Lazer is out of fashion at this point. The drones are obvious, I am looking for new things.

Super soldier armor, like in the first Gi Joe movie is possible. A red mercury atomic bomb, fantasy but passable. A metal gear, maybe?

Maybe not a weapon as such, but something that would make sense for the military to have.

Artificial blood, oxygen injections, a 3D printer for weapons and ammunition.

It doesn't have to be high tech either, just efficient at what it does, the US Army has an army of transport donkeys for the future. they are simply stealthy, tough, don't use gasoline and walk on any terrain.

More things like that are what I'm looking for, thank you very much.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
Hello everyone.

As it seems tradition, every now and then I come up with a new topic to ask for advice for my novel, and this will be no exception.

The future of warfare.

In my story there is quite a lot of conflict, in a modern time, but I would like to introduce new elements in it, new inventions, new weapons that could be feasible in the near future at least

Lazer is out of fashion at this point. The drones are obvious, I am looking for new things.

Super soldier armor, like in the first Gi Joe movie is possible. A red mercury atomic bomb, fantasy but passable. A metal gear, maybe?

Maybe not a weapon as such, but something that would make sense for the military to have.

It doesn't have to be high tech either, just efficient at what it does, the US Army has an army of transport donkeys for the future. they are simply stealthy, tough, don't use gasoline and walk on any terrain.

There will be large computing machines. That's how war will be conducted. Not with swords, guns, rail guns but huge ass computers...

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Hello everyone.

The future of warfare.

Wars will be replaced by nations choosing one fighter to represent them in a dance off

T.K._Paradox

Was Divided By Zero: Looking for Glovebox Jesus
Hello everyone.

The future of warfare.

War will become more and more monetary using various puppet states and their people to clash against one another for the all-mighty dollar/slave labor/resources.

Guerilla warfare will become more and more common in underdeveloped nations if they are invaded by large nations.

Total victories will almost be unheard of against the big players in the wargame going against one another, as their clash of fancy gadgets and high-tech soldiers will be more likely to be drawn out into a war of attrition. Whoever pulls out first will be declared the loser, because mutually assured destruction is a bitch and conventional warfare only works on small scales now, because if it weren't for certain laws it would be a nuclear cock measuring contest, being those with the biggest payload and best survivability wins! (sorta).

(Please take this with a grain of salt I am not an expert, I am just making a guess based on 20th and 21st warfare trends.)

Last edited:

Daitengu

There's probably be cyber division black ops for the field.

Satellites have moved on from RF to laser for security, so the only way to hack intelligence would be on site. Quantum encryption has made Internet security an issue, so any smart military would have their own intranet.

EMP bombs without having to be a nuke would be a thing to take out cybernetics in soldiers and equipment.

The less scrupulous of nations wouldn't mind using high altitude nukes to screw up an enemy nation

Tempokai

Overworked One
Supercomputer hacker versus supercomputer defender versus third party that tries hack them both versus fourth party that tries to hack them all versus fifth and so on and so on and so on...

Jailbreak571

Former CEO of Kamazon. Active lurker
Sabotages, information war, nuclear war, spies that are the best of the best, bombers that are almost out of the planet's orbit, satellites that somehow shoot laser beams, scams and frames, chemical war, hackers, suicide drones, invisible airship, jets that are going Mach 70+ or something, alliance, and many many more that I may have forgotten.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
War never changes.

Unless it does, then you're screwed. Anyway, either nanomachines or gundams

Venusaur26

Hello everyone.

The future of warfare.

It would be a Cyberwar, with lots of cyberattacks

SirDogeTheFirst

Lord Of The Potatoes
In a world where most economies are dependent on trade, and populations don't want to lose luxuries coming from the wealth coming from it, I suppose countries' (or companies) primary choice of warfare wouldn't be like the traditional ones where both sides threw soldiers and equipment till one falls, but instead controlling the world trade and sabotaging others trade. Maybe more advanced naval and ariel vehicles and small teams of special soldiers to disrupt trade and production of the enemy would be viable or you can go all batshit crazy and use orbital bombardment and expensive giant robots, which would be more fun.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Trench warfare.

Short conflict, police actions, anything under 6 months will be all sci-fi and shit, but here's the thing...

OUR SWORDS ARE MUCH SHARPER THAN OUR SHIELDS.

What do I mean? Because body armor sucks. Because tanks suck. Because any defense you can come up with, sucks.
- A Billion Dollar Stealth plane can actually be seen with the naked eye and the new detectors can see them. Then a 100k missile turns it into debris.
- A 5 million dollar tank gets turned into toast with a 50k shoulder mounted anti-tank missile.
- A 500k APC gets turned into a coffin with a lit 2 dollar bottle full of gasoline and styrofoam slurry.
- A Drone, that was basically the equivalent to a WW ONE BI-PLAIN, basically made an absolute mockery of Russia's Triple A in Ukraine. A quarter Million system destroying a quarter BILLION system, and the drone was reusable.

When you look at a long term ACTUAL war against actual equals, you start burning through BILLIONS of dollars a day. And at some point you start going, "Uhhh... Are we really going to risk this high tech tank on this mission?" No. No you are not. So you husband your high tech solutions and you discover that man power is cheap as hell.

So you start sending out men to screen ahead of your high tech shit. Your men realize that body armor is now a hinderance because speed is better than the fact you MIGHT have a bullet bounce off you, so you start to skimp on the equipment on men who are basically just IED detectors. Your men with the best equipment and the best training? You keep them in reserve.

So what DO you do to protect your poorly trained men with AK-47s?
You dig a trench.

The Trench is cheap. The trench WORKS. You would be surprised at how effective a trench is. There are examples of 100k shells being dumped on enemy troops in WW2 over several hours. The men go, "HOW COULD ANYTHING SURVIVE THAT?" And when you send your men across no-man's-land, you find out that those enemy trenches are actually still chock full of soldiers.

So, the future of a WAR? Not a short, lightning strike attack, but an actual, knock down, drag out, WAR?

It starts out with a furious exchange of high-tech shit. If one side wins, it's over. If you get a stalemate, then the High Tech shit on each side will become a rare resource. Both sides will hold the COOL TOYS in reserve and the day to day grind will be trenches of men facing trenches of men. Occasionally planes will come in and get shredded by triple A as they do scouting and test the enemy defenses.

Then, every few weeks, you'll have one side or the other roll out a massive push. They will throw everything into it, grab a few miles, then settle down and dig more trenches. It will oscillate between being a clone of WW2 (or if they lift the ban on chemical weapons, WW1), and being a massive blitz of high-tech shit that lasts for a day, then the expensive shit will be pulled back to be held into reserve to handle counter attacks and prepare for the next massive push.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 54065

Future of warfare? Well, it can be sticks and stones all over again.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Future of warfare? Well, it can be sticks and stones all over again.
Nah... Bullets are cheap. AK-47 is a damn tough gun. Fight long enough, you will get down to rifles with bayonets and trench warfare. I know a guy who made a black powder cannon for the fun of it in his back yard. Fill that with silverware and random metal and you could ruin an entire platoon's day.

It won't sink THAT low, technologically.

D

Deleted member 54065

Nah... Bullets are cheap. AK-47 is a damn tough gun. Fight long enough, you will get down to rifles with bayonets and trench warfare. I know a guy who made a black powder cannon for the fun of it in his back yard. Fill that with silverware and random metal and you could ruin an entire platoon's day.

It won't sink THAT low, technologically.
I'm sarcastic, though.