The Importance of REPRESENTATION in Media

Sabruness

Cultured Yuri Connoisseur
If the whole premise of a story or a character is that they're a certain colour or race or orientation and that is the be-all and end-all about them then you're doing it so wrong and all you'll end up with is a pile of cow turd.

that's why some media gets backlash and others dont... because one makes a song-and-dance about representation and the other doesnt but just lives on it's own merits.

Voidiris

Gaze into the abyss to truly see?
I don’t care about representation, every representation im movies that I've seen until now was an utter failure and probably ruined cinema completely for me. I read some novels with representation and still didn't care even if I was included in the group represented. I think if you want to represent someone you should just write a amazing story about the struggles of such a person. Just having a character with black skin colour isn't really representation to me, is calling the skin colour black or white racist?, and I honestly don't care about such things in the first place and I don't understand why people value so much their body. So I'm just staying indifferent to both sides.

D.S.Nate

From my experience, the vast majority of the public tends not to care one way or the other as long as it doesn't affect the actual quality of the story. This includes the ones supposedly being represented.

Most normal people really just don't give a damn, this whole talk mostly comes from social media or those whose lives revolve around politics. Then it extended to entrepreneur types who put far too much credit on what they read on twitter, are trying to fulfill government/organization quotas or satisfy their investor's whims.
Well said. To the one writing unless you are really keen on these things in the first place it just not that important. Writing characters that resonate with you comes first.

Things get muddy when politics come into it or business who try and please a market with surface level things to try and fill there quota.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
A few weeks back we talked about representation in Media, the good, the bad and the ugly there of.

Question(s): What are your thoughts on representation media? How do you go about it in your writing?

(I know this MIGHT be a delicate subject so please keep it civil in the comments. Thanks XD)
There shouldn't

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
A few weeks back we talked about representation in Media, the good, the bad and the ugly there of.

Question(s): What are your thoughts on representation media? How do you go about it in your writing?

(I know this MIGHT be a delicate subject so please keep it civil in the comments. Thanks XD)
representation is fine when creating original characters, but if anyone does the whole race swapping thing which makes a character look wholly different from the original then they are a punk ass bitch and i would like the chance to butt fuck them with a hot iron pole wrapped in barb wire

I just saw the new Percy Jackson series a day ago and these bitches made Annabeth a black kid with braids. And apparently the author Cuck Riordan "loves" it. Smh. Make her a pudgy, squat, Native American with a feather cap then if they love representation and diversity so much, because those guys NEVER get representation.

DannyTheDaikon

| Azure tamer | Harbinger of chaos and soup
Hollywood has been doing such a great job "representing" me for the past couple of years, that I gave up on watching western media almost completely.
Just because I'm a lesbian, it doesn't mean that being gay the only character trait that I have, unlike what a lot of that "representation" seems to think.

MatchaChocolate69

What happens when the mirror breaks?
Representation is absolutely crucial!
It's important that every type of waifu is accurately represented. Blonde, red, blue, green, silver hair,... Blue, green, brown eyes. Flat-chested or well-endowed, loli or milf. Not to mention Tsundere, Yandere, Deredere, kuudere.
Variety is the spice of life.

Jaymi

Gamer / Astronaut / Idol / Author / Vampire
say ur american without saying ur american hahahaha

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Who cares if Media Represents? Like... if they want to have a representative, go ahead. Nobody cares who speaks for the media. They can speak for themselves, as far as I'm concerns.
say ur american without saying ur american hahahaha
If English was good enough for Jesus, it's good enough for everybody.

Rhaps

Jedi Fae
In my story, Representation is the thing I least worry about, if I get something wrong then so be it. It is my world, my story, I don't care if I disrespect someone.

Jerynboe

representation is fine when creating original characters, but if anyone does the whole race swapping thing which makes a character look wholly different from the original then they are a punk ass bitch and i would like the chance to butt fuck them with a hot iron pole wrapped in barb wire

I just saw the new Percy Jackson series a day ago and these bitches made Annabeth a black kid with braids. And apparently the author Cuck Riordan "loves" it. Smh. Make her a pudgy, squat, Native American with a feather cap then if they love representation and diversity so much, because those guys NEVER get representation.
Riordan has been getting more woke (in the worst sense of the word) as time went on. I’m 80% sure he jumped at the opportunity to “remedy” what he now sees as an early misstep on his part. His books were a guilty pleasure for me for a while, and tbh I am enjoying the adaptation. When I finished his take on Norse mythology I ended up losing interest in his new books completely.
The gender fluid daughter (usually, she explained it was 70/30 time split) of Loki was fine and supported by the mythology, even if she was sometimes preachy. What really make my eyes roll out of my head was when he explained that LITERALLY NO ONE on the confederate side in the American Civil War was still in Valhalla because they were all so irredeemably racist. They couldn’t countenance black people also being in Valhalla, so they all locked themselves in their bedrooms like sulky teenagers and slowly faded from existence.

Last edited:

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Riordan has been getting more woke (in the worst sense of the word) as time went on. I’m 80% sure he jumped at the opportunity to “remedy” what he now sees as an early misstep on his part. His books were a guilty pleasure for me for a while, and tbh I am enjoying the adaptation. When I finished his take on Norse mythology I ended up losing interest in his new books completely.
The gender fluid daughter (usually, she explained it was 70/30 time split) of Loki was fine and supported by the mythology, even if she was sometimes preachy. What really make my eyes roll out of my head was when he explained that LITERALLY NO ONE on the confederate side in the American Civil War was still in Valhalla because they were all so irredeemably racist. They couldn’t countenance black people also being in Valhalla, so they all locked themselves in their bedrooms like sulky teenagers and slowly faded from existence.
Rick fell harder than Nagasaki. I mean im enjoying it too but its such an unneeded change. And you know, i wouldnt even mind at all if they least GOT THE FUCKING HAIR AND EYE COLOR RIGHT.

Like honestly how fucking hard is it to use a wig and contacts?