The Importance of REPRESENTATION in Media

D.S.Nate

A few weeks back we talked about representation in Media, the good, the bad and the ugly there of.

Question(s): What are your thoughts on representation media? How do you go about it in your writing?

(I know this MIGHT be a delicate subject so please keep it civil in the comments. Thanks XD)

Last edited:

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
Representation is the most retarded thing to come up in recent Hollywood and books. No, you don't need a black character. No, you don't need a strong female lead. No, you don't need a handicapped person. You know what you need? A good fucking story. You don't need characters there just there because they check a box, you need characters that are there to push the story forward. Their race or sex or anything like that doesn't matter.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
A few weeks back we talked about representation in Media, the good, the bad and the ugly there of.

Question(s): What are your thoughts on representation media? How do you go about it in your writing?

(I know this MIGHT be a delicate subject so please it civil in the comments. Thanks XD)
The issue of a nation founded by immigrants.

Sola-sama

Retired Old Man
Don't hate just because I am cooler, and have more rizz in my pinky toe in one instance than you in your whole body over your lifetime.

D.S.Nate

I don't think it's an important issue.
Yeah. I think what's happend nowadays is that it gotten used as a buzzword by big wigs and so the issues we have with it is one they basically made. My personaly just treat all charcter I write are humans and will write them because I think it will be cool. (I problem should put my point up at the start but meh, I'm lazy lol)
The issue of a nation founded by immigrants.
And people trying too hard to please everyone by pandering to surface level things instead of starting with the fact that we are all human to write a good story.

prognastat

Half of what I write are fanfics and set in Japan so they are technically full of Asians. Never thought of it as representation because it isn't about their ethnicity. Write a good story and good characters. Any other considerations should be a distant third or beyond. Just write what you like and focus on making it good. That's already more than enough for most people to deal with when creating something.

For example Static Shock, Fresh Prince and the Boondocks were great. Not because they starred black casts, but because they had good stories and characters. If you feel the need to put anything into your story, put some of yourself in it(not meaning as a Self Insert, but experiences from your own life, family and culture).

Last edited: