The longer I delay the next chapter...

Aiyoki

The more the next chapter evolves on paper and/or in my head before I actually write it.

When you delay on your chapters does this happen to you too?

I don't think it's a bad thing as delaying a chapter does give me more time to think about what purpose I want that chapter to serve.

melchi

What is a custom title?
Eh, I guess you can but there is the whole "I need to write something"

Brainstorming too long causes ideas to become too crowded and push one another out.

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
I sometimes just put something down then edit it. Better than sitting forever

Sabruness

Cultured Yuri Connoisseur
that's one of many reasons why i havent written much in a few years. ideas and plots keep churning and changing and i never am able to get to writing.

Aiyoki

I see... Well I'm not talking about dwelling on it for too long. Things happen and I don't end up getting around to writing the chapter. It gives me more time to think/brainstorm ideas before I commit, which isn't bad imo because sometimes I come up with something that fits better towards the plot than what I had initially.

LunaSoltaer

Spicy Transbian
So you can take some time to refine an idea, but if you're trying to keep to a schedule, then slipping too much may cause people to lose interest.

Though, for what its worth, I was kicked out of commission for a full year, and I still have old readers and even a new one or two, so you CAN revive.

And yes! Ive had so many moments when writing my piece that my characters basically said No I Do This and I'm like Okay Sure... Hey this is actually cool and I want to write this, thank goodness I have a somewhat adaptable outline.

But yeah its not a bad thing but theres always such a thing as too much of something

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
To not fall into the habit of not writing, I have a set of deadlines for myself. Monday through Friday, 1 chapter must be published every day. After almost two years of doing that, it is working. By now, writing daily has become a habit, and it comes naturally.

D

Deleted member 54065

The more the next chapter evolves on paper and/or in my head before I actually write it.

When you delay on your chapters does this happen to you too?

I don't think it's a bad thing as delaying a chapter does give me more time to think about what purpose I want that chapter to serve.
I don't delay chapters, but I do delay manuscripts till I ironed out the inconsistencies from the rest of the story.

Now for the question, yes, it evolves the more I write and get deeper into the volume I'm working on. My technique in writing is to plan my stories, but it serves only as a guide. If a better idea/concept comes into my head in the middle of writing, I'd write it then make sure it 'fits' in the entire narrative, including the other volumes I previously published.

It is why I finish an entire manuscript first before publishing, as compared to a 'per chapter' upload. At least, my readers won't be confused from frequent rewrites and plotholes.