The most overrated medieval / fantasy weapon

Jemini

I would say the most overrated "weapon" is deuse-ex-power-up due to anger/love/the power of friendship.

On a different note, I feel a slight need to stick up for the sword here. This is rare for me, because I'm normally the first to point out that almost every single weapon in existence out performs the sword. However, in order to effectively argue this point, I had to know what I was talking about first. As such, I have something that needs to be pointed out as to why the sword got so highly valued here in the first place in a manner disproportionate to it's combat effectiveness.

Someone rather aptly pointed out that the sword was always the side weapon. So, yes. This IS true. Swords WERE always the side weapon. Now, think about that for a second. ALWAYS.

There is a pretty simple but deceptively powerful reason why swords were so frequently in circulation to the point they were always carried as side weapons. That is, they are an incredibly portable weapon compared to other options. Something the likes of a spear is very difficult to strap to your body, so you either have to carry it by hand or put it on a cart. The same goes for things like maces or axes to a slightly lesser degree. You can holster those or attach them to your belt, but they flop around and are far more difficult to secure than a sword in it's scabbard.

That's another issue, things like axes don't have a scabbard. So, the blade is constantly exposed to the elements and the blade will be weathered down.

Yes, in pure damage-dealing ability, almost every single weapon option under the sun does more damage than a sword. However, you really can't knock the amazing versatility a sword has. The convenience of carry and the relatively easy time you have cleaning it compared to other weapons and the ability to decrease maintenance needs by sheathing it all add up to make a very convenient weapon that will be far less likely to let you down than any of the other options.

EDIT: To put this concept into perspective, a rifle generally has more power, shoots more accurately, and can propel a projectile farther than a pistol can. It also has more options, such as different kinds of shot-guns back in the old days or in more modern times we now have rifles that can go fully automatic which is not an option available in most pistols. However, if you look at the old west, it was always your trusty six-shooter at your hip that you would rely on. This is because it's a weapon that can always be at your hip while a rifle is far less convenient to carry around and you would likely leave it behind unless you were guarding a stage coach or something.

This would be the exact same mind-set of a person in medieval times. They might not be able to carry a spear 24/7, but their sword can always be at their hip.

The overrated thing about swords comes from failing to understand the important but reasonably restrained place that swords occupied as a versatile side-weapon. A side weapon is immensely valuable, and it would indeed make the sword a more popular weapon than any of the more battlefield-effective weapons. However, it has to be kept in mind that those other weapons ARE more battle-field effective.

Last edited:

Suryae

Dismembered
I would say a sword, but that basically means I'm parroting everyone here, so I would go further by saying your regular double-edged longsword, especially the terrible ones in various Isekai manga that has no taper whatsoever and has a round handle (this one is the worst).

Even if they included single-edged swords, it's always katana. Please, give scimitars, kriegmessers, kilij, and many others some love!

MateusSantos

Yeah, I'm actually fine with swords, what I can't stand is when the MC is a spearman, I don't really know why but I don't like spears. Bow, Hammer, Axe, Staff, etc should have some attention too. Don't even get me started on magic, it's always fire, always fire, always. The worst thing is that the MC can't be just a mage or a normal swordman, he needs to be a fire magic swordmaster, better at magic than mages, better at swords than swordmasters, and sometimes even healing better than actual healers, every single fucking LitRPG is like that, I can't even look at the LitRPG tag without getting angry anymore.

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
Pleease more halberds!!! Just more polearms in general. Would make for some very unique fight scenes and probably fun to research.
I would love to have an MC using a Halberd. They seem complicated/awkward to write though. I mean it's basically a spear with an axe-blade attached to it. And Warhammers. Love 'em. Not sure how I would write one though. I mean there isn't but so many ways you can swing a hammer whereas a sword is very versatile, hence it's frequent usage. I love scimitar's too. The one sword that I love that very few if any mention is the falx. But I also get that's its awkward to describe a falx in combat.

Also, I never fell into the hype train of the Katana. I DO however love Nodachi's and Naginata's. The nodachi basically being a much larger sword than a katana made for footsoldiers to fight against cavalry. As for Naginata...I don't know why it was made and for what purpose but they are badass.

Last edited:

Angry_Clown

I don't know why it was made and for what purpose

For the same purpose glaive, sovnya, and early fauchard were made. It's a sword on a stick. Good to cut up cavalry, better than the pike/halberd in personal combat, since it's shorter and beats rather than binds (according to Silver anyway).

Jemini

Just use curved blades like a cutlass, falchion, falx, kukri, or bolo. MUCH better than going full cliche.

Issue with this. Curved blades are cavalry swords. So, unless you're gong with a cavalry theme for your story, medieval aficionados will pan you for historical inaccuracy.

ConTroll

Eternal Wood
Issue with this. Curved blades are cavalry swords. So, unless you're gong with a cavalry theme for your story, medieval aficionados will pan you for historical inaccuracy.

'Some' curved blades, like sabres, are cavalry weapons, not all.

What you are saying is akin to proposing that all knives are meant for cutting butter and nothing else, or that kite shields, which are shields specifically designed for horseback, can only be used on a horse...which is absolutely wrong.

Besides, why would you care about historical accuracy in a fantasy setting?

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off

What you are saying is akin to proposing that all knives are meant for cutting butter and nothing else, or that kite shields, which are shields specifically designed for horseback, can only be used on a horse...which is absolutely wrong.

Perfect example of a curved sword frequently used as an infantry tool is a scimitar.

Angry_Clown

Damn it, I was two minutes too late.

I have to add, that "curved swords are made for use from horseback" is factually wrong and is a common misconception. In fact, the major shift towards "curved means cavalry" occurred in the ~18 century, because guns.

Jemini

1. kite shields are not designed for horse back. They are just popular for use on horse back. However, due to their leg protection, they are far superior in use as an infantry shield. It is the more angular heater shield that is superior for use on horseback.
2. the majority of the swords you listed off are cavalry swords. The purpose of the more extreme curve in swords is to allow for them to easily stab and then be retracted again while riding by on horseback. Exceptions to this rule would be swords such as the katana which has a more gentle curve as the purpose of the curve on the katana is to allow for more effective draw-strikes. (that is the one superior aspect of the katana. It is a weapon almost perfectly honed for draw-strikes.)
3. historical accuracy is important in a medieval fantasy setting because a medieval fantasy setting depicts a medieval setting that happens to have magic or fantasy creatures. This comes to be especially true if you start implementing real historically used medieval weapons.

Angry_Clown

kite shields are not designed for horse back.
Yes, they bloody are, unless you wanna dispute the credibility of countless collectors and historians that claim otherwise. The rest of that section is absolute and utter nonsense as well.

the majority of the swords you listed off are cavalry swords.
What in the hot crispy Kentucky fried fuck are you talking about? Cutlass is a naval side-arm. Falchion is a cleaver-like infantry weapon. Falx is a Dacian infantry blade on a stick. Kukri and bolo are forward curving WORK KNIVES. The only cavalry sword he listed is saber and he specifically said it was a cavalry sword. What fucking majority exactly are you implying here?

The purpose of the more extreme curve in swords is to allow for them to easily stab
Stab? Seriously?

Curved swords were used extensively by infantry in many different regions. The claim of "cUrVe iS fOr CaVaLrY" is complete bullshit.

ConTroll

Eternal Wood
1. kite shields are not designed for horse back. They are just popular for use on horse back. However, due to their leg protection, they are far superior in use as an infantry shield.

As much as I abhor partaking in internet quibbles, here's some facts:

"The shield was developed for mounted cavalry, and its dimensions correlate to the approximate space between a horse's neck and its rider's thigh."

"Though their great length and unwieldy nature made them cumbersome and inconvenient for foot soldiers, kite shields nevertheless gained popularity, spreading throughout Western Europe during the 1000s."

Source: [Wikipedia] Oakeshott, Ewart (1997) [1960]. The Archaeology of Weapons: Arms and Armour from Prehistory to the Age of Chivalry. Mineola: Dover Publications. pp. 176–177. ISBN 978-0812216202.

tl;dr: Yes, they were design for horseback; no they were not originally meant for infantry.

As for the rest of your points...I really don't know what to say. Refer to Angry_Clown's reply.

Kldran

Most overrated would be the fist. Fists are not very effective weapons compared to swords and spears and bows, yet it's common for someone in a story to use their fists and be just as effective as everyone else. Even in unarmed combat, elbow and knee strikes are generally more effective than fist strikes, yet fiction almost always focuses on punches or kicks.

ConTroll

Eternal Wood
Here's another: wielding swords or knives with an icepick grip (or reverse grip).

For knives, its only practical when using the knife as a tool for grappling or hooking. For swords...no, just no.

The grip is neither good for thrusts nor slashing. Reach advantage is also diminished.

Chaaruzu_Corner

Young Senior Member
Everybody is picking swords so I'll go with the bow. I'm so tired of every bow character being a slim, (elf) female. Ya need a lot of strength to draw out the string dammit!

So I'm starting a movement, #buffmencanusebowstoo
There needs to be more muscular men using bows! :blob_thor: