The name of the room that royals party in?

MissPaige36

✨Senior Forum Citizen✨
Alright so I’m currently re-writing my story and I got stuck on this. What would be a good word for the supposed room that royals gather up in and party. edit: that is to say, the mc is about to have a debut where you become of age (he’s a prince) and I’m wondering what a good word for a celebration for something like that would be.

Is it just a ball room? Or a venue? Or something?

Last edited:

Biggest-Kusa-Out-There

Futanari Enjoyer
I guess… it’s like um a debut… like it’s their birthday and they’ve become of age kind of party?
Well, the venue could be a ballroom or an event room or something like that, depending on culture.
If your Royals find Justification of Rule through God, they could do it in the Church like centuries ago, or a cathedral, or something like the Vatican where the Pope has their throne if relations are close and there are no living deities.

Mythonian

Assuming this is inside a castle/palace, would probably happen in the great hall. The great hall would be the large central hall that serves multiple purposes: throne room, dining hall for large feasts, audience hall for important visitors, weddings, and event hall for things of this nature.

How big of a gathering is this? Hundreds of guests? If a great hall doesn't work for this, could easily do it outside in some plaza or courtyard. Give the plaza a fancy name, maybe named after the kingdom's/empire's founder or other important figure and bam, good to go.

MissPaige36

✨Senior Forum Citizen✨
Assuming this is inside a castle/palace, would probably happen in the great hall. The great hall would be the large central hall that serves multiple purposes: throne room, dining hall for large feasts, audience hall for important visitors, weddings, and event hall for things of this nature.

How big of a gathering is this? Hundreds of guests? If a great hall doesn't work for this, could easily do it outside in some plaza or courtyard. Give the plaza a fancy name, maybe named after the kingdom's/empire's founder or other important figure and bam, good to go.
Ah! I think the great hall works well then, I’m sure most of my readers will understand that!

MissPaige36

✨Senior Forum Citizen✨
All suggestions in this thread are good. But consider the following: if the weather is nice, why not thorw a party in the castle garden? They were usually very fancy, and made to receive guests.
ooo that’s a nice idea too!

Jemini

For the most part, the venues we have for large gatherings and parties today are all given the same names that they used for rooms of the same purpose in the renaissance era of Europe. So, just look up those names.

The generic name is "party venue." Although, that is more or less just the proper and less wordy way to say "room you have a party in." So, if you are having a party in a ball room, then the ball room becomes the "party venue." As for the particular terms that are used for they typical types of rooms used as party venues, you can easily just run a web search for "rooms typically used as party venues" in order to get your answer.
kinda weird how the seats are positioned
why do they face the door?
There is a reason for this. Until relatively recently, everyone was always on edge with the idea that someone might be entering the room to cause trouble and threaten someone. So, it was a standard thing that seating would be arranged such that people could have a view of a door. This is not just in high society, you could even see this in places like old western saloons.

In old western saloons, they actually would not place any chairs at a table arranged such that the person sitting in it would have their back to the door. Everyone would avoid sitting in a chair with it's back to the door anyway, so they would simply not bother placing chairs like that since it's a waste of space and resources. Also, the bar itself was always perpendicular to the door. No bar would be straight across the tavern from the door, otherwise nobody would want to sit at the bar stools and have their back to the door.

At the other end of society, in high society, the seat of honor is always the chair that is farthest from the door and also has a good view of all entrances. If we are to consider a drawing room like you are using here, having the seating such that everyone can see the door would be a good and considerate way to make all your guests comfortable since the drawing room is typically a place to entertain guests.

Last edited: