The New Best Monitor Ever Made

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)

I upgrade my setup every time a new GTA deigns upon us. Well, the last one was so ridiculously long ago that I managed to fry my video card and my monitor broke on me too in the meantime. So, yeah, I upgraded a bit. But I'm still waiting for that mythical new instalment to upgrade everything.
I personally think 32 inches and 4K is the end of it for me. 8k maybe for a television but anything larger than 32 probably won’t fit on a gaming desk well, and it wouldn’t be comfortable to game on with a mouse and keyboard.

Jet

The tech went far... Well, the point is there is no such thing as the best monitor.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
The tech went far... Well, the point is there is no such thing as the best monitor.
I disagree. Anything above 144hz to me is kind of a waste. I’ll probably be running this monitor when I get it at 120 hz.

What I’m looking forward to more is the 5 inch larger size and the QD-OLED. I still have a Neo Qled TV because burn in sucks, happened to my iMac

Vnator

I don't see a use of it though. Just get any standard 1080p with a 144hz refresh rate.

Well it's safe to say take my advice with a grain of salt. I've stopped playing current games because they have become stale and boring for now. My option might be biased.

Nowadays I just enjoy the retro games and play sometimes. There nice and fun....
Same here! Though I'm starting to play a lot more smaller indies. Few hours long but fun and feature rich all the way through, and light on the bank compared to now $70 AAA games. That's where it's at.

Syringe

Bluetooth 7 Enabled Holy Blade w/ Red Dot Sight
And I'm here still trying to get my hands on a 360hz monitor. Would love something like that for CS.

HungrySheep

I like yuri
For people who have the money to drop on stuff like this: Is there actually a difference?

I haven't upgraded in a hot sec, but when I was building my rig, I beefed it to the max and went as cheap as I could for the peripherals and monitor. The screen works and everything looks fine. I checked out some expensive monitors at a shop (imagine going retail in 2023) and it looked like it was literally the same except the screens were bigger or curved, neither of which were important to me.

Does stuff like this actually improve the display? Am I just blind?

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
For people who have the money to drop on stuff like this: Is there actually a difference?

I haven't upgraded in a hot sec, but when I was building my rig, I beefed it to the max and went as cheap as I could for the peripherals and monitor. The screen works and everything looks fine. I checked out some expensive monitors at a shop (imagine going retail in 2023) and it looked like it was literally the same except the screens were bigger or curved, neither of which were important to me.

Does stuff like this actually improve the display? Am I just blind?
When it comes to monitors there are several things to think about.

1. What is the size and resolution.

Size and resolution are dependent, if you have a 24-27 inch monitor, there is no point in going higher than 1440p, if you have something larger than 27inches then 4k might be considered. If you ever notice watching a big screen up close, you'll note that you can see pixels. A larger monitor and the ability to play in higher resolution is dependent on what the resolution will be. For 32 Inches, 4k becomes necessary unless you want to see jagged edges on certain things like text.

2. What king of lighting, is it OLED, QLED, or LCD?

OLED allows for darker blacks, meaning you won't see lights moving around when the screen turns dark. It's not noticeable in a light room, but it's noticeable in a darkened room.

Also, if it's a Computer monitor, it's often a question of whether it's a TN panel or an IPS. TN panels have worse viewing angles while IPS has better, but it comes with slower and faster response times.

Response time are most noticeable in First person shooters and fighting games. Giving a large advantage to those who have a faster response input.

The type of light also affects the color output, but only if you're someone like me who likes vibrant colors in games will you notice such things. Most people don't notice nor do they care.

3. Refresh rate, how fast does the monitor pump out frames? The faster it can pump, the smoother it can look. Most people say 60 frames per second is good enough, I say it's only good enough if you're playing on a console and further than 5 feet away. If you are up close then animation quality is noticeable against a larger screen. So higher refresh rates are better.

-----

The point is this, there is no point in getting a beefy computer if you don't have a monitor with a high resolution, high refresh rate. Why get a computer that can push 8k if you don't even have an 8k monitor to run it on?

On the flip side, you will only know the difference if you look for it. Most people don't pay attention unless they're tech enthusiasts like me.

D

Deleted member 54065

Size and resolution are dependent, if you have a 24-27 inch monitor, there is no point in going higher than 1440p, if you have something larger than 27inches then 4k might be considered. If you ever notice watching a big screen up close, you'll note that you can see pixels. A larger monitor and the ability to play in higher resolution is dependent on what the resolution will be. For 32 Inches, 4k becomes necessary unless you want to see jagged edges on certain things like text.

OLED allows for darker blacks, meaning you won't see lights moving around when the screen turns dark. It's not noticeable in a light room, but it's noticeable in a darkened room.

Also, if it's a Computer monitor, it's often a question of whether it's a TN panel or an IPS. TN panels have worse viewing angles while IPS has better, but it comes with slower and faster response times.

Response time are most noticeable in First person shooters and fighting games. Giving a large advantage to those who have a faster response input.

The type of light also affects the color output, but only if you're someone like me who likes vibrant colors in games will you notice such things. Most people don't notice nor do they care.

3. Refresh rate, how fast does the monitor pump out frames? The faster it can pump, the smoother it can look. Most people say 60 frames per second is good enough, I say it's only good enough if you're playing on a console and further than 5 feet away. If you are up close then animation quality is noticeable against a larger screen. So higher refresh rates are better.

-----

The point is this, there is no point in getting a beefy computer if you don't have a monitor with a high resolution, high refresh rate. Why get a computer that can push 8k if you don't even have an 8k monitor to run it on?

On the flip side, you will only know the difference if you look for it. Most people don't pay attention unless they're tech enthusiasts like me.
A question about TVs:

Will a 32-inch LED TV be seen across a regular classroom? Something that can fit 60 students comfortably? (I mean, I don't have an exact measure of the room, hence the description)

There's light coming from both sides, and it will be installed on the wall slightly on top of the blackboard.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
A question about TVs:

Will a 32-inch LED TV be seen across a regular classroom? Something that can fit 60 students comfortably? (I mean, I don't have an exact measure of the room, hence the description)

There's light coming from both sides, and it will be installed on the wall slightly on top of the blackboard.
How many feet is the classroom?
Is it for text or is it for video? You might want to go with a projector if it's text.

HungrySheep

I like yuri

-----

Thanks for your detailed answer! I don't really notice any of this stuff to be honest, so it's nice to know that there is a difference for people who know what they're looking for!

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
Thanks for your detailed answer! I don't really notice any of this stuff to be honest, so it's nice to know that there is a difference for people who know what they're looking for!
You're welcome.
Honestly, it's not a big deal unless someone makes it a big deal.

If you're good with your current monitor, there is also no reason to upgrade.
Just pay attention that you're not overspending on computer parts to build something that would need a better monitor.

Like there is no point in getting a higher end graphics card if you're only running at 1080p.

Stealthy_Enigma

(❀⁠≽ᆺ≼)⊃~~~~✧ ꧁Floofy Ninja!!!꧂
Can I have help figuring out what monitor can handle my graphics card?

I am not that smart when it comes to computers, but I looked online and found that building a computer is a lot easier than I first thought.

I will get the parts on Friday, and would like to get a monitor ready by then, however, I don't know what is good visually, and what I should look out for.

All I know is that I don't have much room on my desk, so I was looking for suggestions.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
Can I have help figuring out what monitor can handle my graphics card?

I am not that smart when it comes to computers, but I looked online and found that building a computer is a lot easier than I first thought.

I will get the parts on Friday, and would like to get a monitor ready by then, however, I don't know what is good visually, and what I should look out for.

All I know is that I don't have much room on my desk, so I was looking for suggestions.
What are your specs?

Graphics card is usually most important, but ram and processor have some importance too for refresh rate.

Stealthy_Enigma

What are your specs?

Graphics card is usually most important, but ram and processor have some importance too for refresh rate.
  • An i9-12900k cpu
  • 64 GB ram
  • RTX 3060 twin edge 12 GB graphics card
I already had help making sure it was compatible with the motherboard I got, I just forgot to ask that tech person about the monitor, because I did not think it would be important at the time.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
  • An i9-12900k cpu
  • 64 GB ram
  • RTX 3060 twin edge 12 GB graphics card
I already had help making sure it was compatible with the motherboard I got, I just forgot to ask that tech person about the monitor, because I did not think it would be important at the time.
If you want at least 60 frames per second for gaming, no more than 1440P

You can run most games at 60 FPS or faster at 1440p, but it depends on the game. I'd probably go with a 120 - 144 hz monitor and a resolution of 1440p

However, if you're planning on only playing minecraft, you could probably go with 4k monitor with a higher than 100 hz refresh rate.
3060 is compatible with up to 8k, but it depends on what you're using it for. If it's image generation 4k 60 hz is good enough.

I guess I should have specified what you want it for.
The following are just my preferences as I own multiple monitors, your preferences might be different.

Studio work - 4k 60 hz
There is very little point in getting higher than 60 hz if you're not gaming, most movies and film are in that ballpark, and if you're generating AI images, they don't require high refresh rates. I run my Mac on a 4k 60 HZ monitor and it has IPS.

Gaming - 1440p 144 hz 3060 is not a bad card, but it's not meant to push into 4k territory with high frame rates for the latest games, even with DLSS, although you could probably run games at lower resolutions and graphics, but that would defeat the purpose of a nice monitor.

Between the two, the Gaming Monitor is probably going to be the higher end one and cost more even if it's a lower resolution due to refresh rate. If you have trouble picking which monitor is right, I'd suggest going to a computer store and looking at the monitors. Just do some window shopping to see how the display looks before deciding between your panel type.

Some people the Panel type will make a difference and others, it makes no difference.

Panels Types to think about:

TN Panel -
Usually the cheapest, has fast response times and you'll get higher refresh rates for cheap. I currently use one for gaming and have liked it but I'm looking to upgrade. For reference I run the ROG Swift 278Q which came out in 2014. It's a TN Panel, but since it's a high end one it'll look better than most other TN panels out there even though it's 9 years old this year. A good monitor will last a long time.

IPS- Most monitors nowadays use IPS because they're more true to color. They have slower response times and it gets more pricey. If you aren't playing multiplayer and like slower paced games with pretty graphics then this is probably better as it has better viewing angles from far away.

VA - Supposedly an in between, but not good for gaming.They're okay for work though, most people will never use these for gaming and so they're never out there.

OLED and QD-OLED -The newer monitor type that has both good response times and great contrasts. Top of the line currently, but the only problem with these are possible problems with Burn-in on the LG models. Burn in is if you have a static image on the monitor, it might stay there. It happened to one of my monitors before, not fun. Like ghost images on screen, the newer ones fight it, but I'd suggest not using OLED if you're just going to use it for work. OLED is meant for gaming, or movie watching.

Stealthy_Enigma

If you want at least 60 frames per second for gaming, no more than 1440P

You can run most games at 60 FPS or faster at 1440p, but it depends on the game. I'd probably go with a 120 - 144 hz monitor and a resolution of 1440p

However, if you're planning on only playing minecraft, you could probably go with 4k monitor with a higher than 100 hz refresh rate.
3060 is compatible with up to 8k, but it depends on what you're using it for. If it's image generation 4k 60 hz is good enough.

I guess I should have specified what you want it for.
The following are just my preferences as I own multiple monitors, your preferences might be different.

Studio work - 4k 60 hz
There is very little point in getting higher than 60 hz if you're not gaming, most movies and film are in that ballpark, and if you're generating AI images, they don't require high refresh rates. I run my Mac on a 4k 60 HZ monitor and it has IPS.

Gaming - 1440p 144 hz 3060 is not a bad card, but it's not meant to push into 4k territory with high frame rates for the latest games, even with DLSS, although you could probably run games at lower resolutions and graphics, but that would defeat the purpose of a nice monitor.

Between the two, the Gaming Monitor is probably going to be the higher end one and cost more even if it's a lower resolution due to refresh rate. If you have trouble picking which monitor is right, I'd suggest going to a computer store and looking at the monitors. Just do some window shopping to see how the display looks before deciding between your panel type.

Some people the Panel type will make a difference and others, it makes no difference.

Panels Types to think about:

TN Panel -
Usually the cheapest, has fast response times and you'll get higher refresh rates for cheap. I currently use one for gaming and have liked it but I'm looking to upgrade. For reference I run the ROG Swift 278Q which came out in 2014. It's a TN Panel, but since it's a high end one it'll look better than most other TN panels out there even though it's 9 years old this year. A good monitor will last a long time.

IPS- Most monitors nowadays use IPS because they're more true to color. They have slower response times and it gets more pricey. If you aren't playing multiplayer and like slower paced games with pretty graphics then this is probably better as it has better viewing angles from far away.

VA - Supposedly an in between, but not good for gaming.They're okay for work though, most people will never use these for gaming and so they're never out there.

OLED and QD-OLED -The newer monitor type that has both good response times and great contrasts. Top of the line currently, but the only problem with these are possible problems with Burn-in on the LG models. Burn in is if you have a static image on the monitor, it might stay there. It happened to one of my monitors before, not fun. Like ghost images on screen, the newer ones fight it, but I'd suggest not using OLED if you're just going to use it for work. OLED is meant for gaming, or movie watching.
˝/\__/\˝
(✿≧∇≦)👍 Thanks!!! I will think it over.