The Standard Transmigration Drill

It's just like that.

Say, you're an unknowing citizen going on your way when you suddenly transmigrated into another world.
Now you're on that world... What would be the formulaic steps that you will do or will make sure of first? Will you make sure you're inside a book you have just read, or in another world itself? Check if the world is magical or mundane, maybe you'll suddenly have magic within you yourself. Maybe the plan includes pretending to be a dumb amnesiac to justify your sudden weirdness.
Transmigrator, what's your plan now?
(This is more of a sudden kind of situation, and the plan should probably be more about what you should do just after transmigrating into that place, unless you're knocked up as soon as you land there.)
Mine:
Step 1: Don't even bother hurting yourself to test if you're dreaming or not. (Since it would probably make you look weird) Accept the situation, and proceed by calmly assessing the surrounding.
Step 2: Is there anyone nearby? If there is, control the number of times you make eye contact. Avoid exaggerated facial expressions as much as possible, and then, pretend you're feeling unwell.
Step 2.1: If the others asks of your well-being, take this opportunity to escape as soon as possible, but make your attempt as subtle as you can. If they display other reactions that doesn't show concern or sympathy, then quickly reevaluate the surrounding to judge if these people is a hostile variable.
Step 2.2: Control your behavior in a way that fits what a normal person would usually act. If the hostile variables made an attempt to initiate a conversation, please immediately cut them off by asking for a permission to leave, with your feeling of unwell as an excuse.
Step 3: If there are no other people nearby, focus your attention on the natural surrounding. Is there any difference with how the world would usually look like from this? Observe as much as possible until other factors would appear to initiate a confrontation with you.
Step 4: ???

SailusGebel

Oh, I asked a couple of acquaintances the same question. It was fun to learn what they would do. As for answering your question, it depends a lot on the world and the place.

LostLibrarian

Don't even bother hurting yourself to test if you're dreaming or not.
You can hurt yourself without spewing blood in the open, though. Just use your nails to dig below the nails of the other hand, or use a small stone or stick depending on your situation. Or pinch your skin. I mean "being able to decide" would probably already rule out a dream, but making sure isn't really a big thing...

So my plan for being transmigrated/reincarnated/whatever: absolutely panic, freeze on spot, being either found out or killed a while later because I don't understand the world and its rules. Most humans will freeze when they see a dark shadow at night without any danger, so I don't think many people will stay sane and blend in without problems...

Oh, I asked a couple of acquaintances the same question. It was fun to learn what they would do. As for answering your question, it depends a lot on the world and the place.
I agree. Personally, I would check first if the place I transmigrated into is an alternate earth or not. I guess it'd be a bit laborious being too keen on everything when you've just gotten there, but I guess that's the misery of transmigrating with no system.

SailusGebel

I agree. Personally, I would check first if the place I transmigrated into is an alternate earth or not. I guess it'd be a bit laborious being too keen on everything when you've just gotten there, but I guess that's the misery of transmigrating with no system.
It's not what I meant there. Your course of action will be drastically different depending on where you transmigrate. You won't act the same in a foreign forest that looks just like your average forest, a fantasy forest that doesn't look like anything you've seen, streets of a medieval city, modern city, futuristic city, etc.

You can hurt yourself without spewing blood in the open, though. Just use your nails to dig below the nails of the other hand, or use a small stone or stick depending on your situation. Or pinch your skin. I mean "being able to decide" would probably already rule out a dream, but making sure isn't really a big thing...

So my plan for being transmigrated/reincarnated/whatever: absolutely panic, freeze on spot, being either found out or killed a while later because I don't understand the world and its rules. Most humans will freeze when they see a dark shadow at night without any danger, so I don't think many people will stay sane and blend in without problems...
Lol I guess that makes sense. All in all, we simply don't have the transmigrator qualification those system guys are looking for, huh?
About the hurting yourself a little bit, I think if you're that confident you've been transmigrated/regressed/or something, doing that should be pretty unnecessary

Amok

grblbrbl
Step 1: find cash
Step 2: buy booze
Step 3: ???
Step 4: PROFIT

It's not what I meant there. Your course of action will be drastically different depending on where you transmigrate. You won't act the same in a foreign forest that looks just like your average forest, a fantasy forest that doesn't look like anything you've seen, streets of a medieval city, modern city, futuristic city, etc.
I think that's also the reason why a lot of stories chose the convenient path of explaining things to the pov character prior to the process of transmigrating itself by adding a "conversation with a deity" scene or simply add system guide. To lessen the surprise and to make things easier for us.

SailusGebel

I think that's also the reason why a lot of stories chose the convenient path of explaining things to the pov character prior to the process of transmigrating itself by adding a "conversation with a deity" scene or simply add system guide. To lessen the surprise and to make things easier for us.
I guess it is one of the reasons.

TotallyHuman

I'd take my time to recover emotionally that I had been literally abducted and robbed of my body first, I guess? I am kinda busy and would feel it a shame if I got divorced from what I'm currently busy with, which probably applies most of the time of my life. I doubt I'd care enough about new circumstances before getting over that, though who's to say.

LostLibrarian

Lol I guess that makes sense. All in all, we simply don't have the transmigrator qualification those system guys are looking for, huh?
It really depends on the overall situation. If you have some kind of "definitive truth" in that moment, it might work out (e.g. some system message, talk with a god, etc). But just imagine, you wake up in an unknown land with a million memories that aren't yours. Or even worse, without other memories. Without memories, even "acting normal" would be a massive problem...

Foxxy

also you need to know if:
1 you reincarnated into somebody else or an alternate self
2 is there a memory transfer
3 find out if the world is magical or mundane
4 get a source of information with a valid excuse
5 learn if otherworlders are common or rare and what happens to them, find this accidentally and not on purpose
6 learn the power structure of the world, is it a dog eat dog, cultivation, apocalypse of some kind,
7 start gathering power, if is a system that can be exploited do it, if told by the system to stop, stop.
8 never trust a human or other sentient without building good will first
9 don't offend young masters to gods unless you can withstand the backlash

Los on RR has a pretty good idea for this kinda situation

T.K._Paradox

Was Divided By Zero: Looking for Glovebox Jesus
"Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." -- Mike Tyson

What I am saying here is that you can prepare and imagine a situation where you think and act calmly and rationality, but if you get isekaied your are probably going to freak out and not act rational. You know, like a actual human being and not some always calm badass protagonist.
Myself included.

ConansWitchBaby

Da Scalie Whisperer
Hyperventilate for a good few minutes.
Punch myself to stop being an idiot.
Become a hermit because this is too much for me.

T.K._Paradox

Was Divided By Zero: Looking for Glovebox Jesus
But if I am being serious I would try to keep myself safe by following Maslow's hierarchy of needs.