The Witch Of The Rock is (not) taking commissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWitchOfTheRock

I’m saying that artist always undersell their work. And that's a bad thing. We should start valuing artist way more. I don’t want to hear how to market stuff from a guy who can probably only draw stick figures.

You're allowed to have opinions but once they're invalid or stupid (like really idiotic) like yours, try to shut up? Zip it? Keep the cat in the bag? Shush? Do you need me to continue? Or do you understand. I can dumbify it for you, I’ll do anything to help a local idiot.

That really is a big issue :( when artists undersell their work they force other artists to do the same

MissPaige36

✨Senior Forum Citizen✨
Came for the art, stayed for the fight. :blob_popcorn: Btw art is nice.
Hahaha great you’re enjoying the fight. I’ve been on wattpad and webnovel for years so I’m great at arguing with people.
That really is a big issue :( when artists undersell their work they force other artists to do the same
Right?! Like I might want to have some kind of art career so this guy being this rude is too much for me. I saw you’re a free lance artist and him being this rude might really damage future business. I hope you’re alright.

TheWitchOfTheRock

Hahaha great you’re enjoying the fight. I’ve been on wattpad and webnovel for years so I’m great at arguing with people.

Right?! Like I might want to have some kind of art career so this guy being this rude is too much for me. I saw you’re a free lance artist and him being this rude might really damage future business. I hope you’re alright.

XD tbh this I think is the biggest fear for someone saying they’re accepting commissions…and it happened. And I’m fine. I’m kinda grateful that I got slapped in the face with the worst and took it like a champ

Lloyd

Professional Writer
I’m saying that artist always undersell their work. And that's a bad thing. We should start valuing artist way more. I don’t want to hear how to market stuff from a guy who can probably only draw stick figures.

You're allowed to have opinions but once they're invalid or stupid (like really idiotic) like yours, try to shut up? Zip it? Keep the cat in the bag? Shush? Do you need me to continue? Or do you understand. I can dumbify it for you, I’ll do anything to help a local idiot.
Pretty ironic considering the entire website is authors who work far more hours and give it all away for free.

MissPaige36

✨Senior Forum Citizen✨
Indeed! I much prefer websites that pay their authors for the content they provide. Unfortunately those are few and far between, and traditional publishing is hard to break into
and some that do, are shady, like Webnovel.
Pretty ironic considering the entire website is authors who work far more hours and give it all away for free.
if your responses are going to be this bland, I’ll stop talking to you or I’ll lose too many brain cells.

Lloyd

Professional Writer
Indeed! I much prefer websites that pay their authors for the content they provide. Unfortunately those are few and far between, and traditional publishing is hard to break into
You are missing the point. The point is you are overpricing your work and trying to sell it to people that largely write for free. And even if they did make any money off their work, there are plenty of other artists on here that offer higher quality, with a style that better suits the website, and at far more reasonable prices.

TheWitchOfTheRock

You are missing the point. The point is you are overpricing your work and trying to sell it to people that largely write for free. And even if they did make any money off their work, there are plenty of other artists on here that offer higher quality, with a style that better suits the website, and at far more reasonable prices.
That is an opinion that you are having.
and some that do, are shady, like Webnovel.

I know!! You gotta go through the TOS with a fine toothed comb!

Last edited:

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
You are missing the point. It’s not like they are forcing anyone. And the argument with overpricing is not omnipotent. Minimum wage varies for each artist. It depends on their country. What seems like a life investment for someone from a 3rd world country is something anyone in America can make in a month by turning burgers 3 days a week.

Cupcake already summed it up: it’s people’s money, not yours and they are free to spend it however and for whatever they want.

Do you also go in front of a luxury brand store and yell it’s overpriced and looks bad??
No, most people who can’t afford or don’t want to just ignore it and walk away. Because they can think and judge for themselves whether they like the deal or not.

It also doesn’t make sense that because people publish stories for free the artists in this community have to give out art for peanuts. Why would someone spend time to do art for a stranger when they don’t deem the compensation enough for their work? They can but aren’t obligated.

EternalSunset0

Do you also go in front of a luxury brand store and yell it’s overpriced and looks bad??
No, most people who can’t afford or don’t want to just ignore it and walk away. Because they can think and judge for themselves whether they like the deal or not.
I haven't really chimed in but this is basically how I see it.

At the end of the day, it's people's money, and it's up to them whether they like the deal or not. I personally am leaning towards thinking the price is very high, but I think it's basic courtesy to not go out and publicly call it the worst deal or anything. The luxury store analogy nailed it. I wouldn't spend six digits on a bag or something like that, but I think it's much more rude to stand in front of the store and slander the store or tell passersby not to support the store because of overpriced goods.

If the price is really too high for the market or the quality he's offering it at, then no one will bite and it's up to the seller if he wants to lower the price or just stay with it despite having no clients.

MissPaige36

✨Senior Forum Citizen✨
I did not know that Wattpad and webnovel can make good lawyers. *Argument-wise.* :blob_hide:
I’m evidence that they do. I just cost 5 cents an hour. Oh and if I win, that’s 5 dollars.

I had to fight hard to argue with thick skulled people y’know? Almost everyone on there are entitled to their own opinion, you’ll argue for hours until you become good friends and learn to change together. I’m not joking, I’ve befriended most of the people that either started the conflict or wrote something dumb. (Or I’m the hostile one :blob_whistle:)

D

Deleted member 45782

I’m evidence that they do. I just cost 5 cents an hour. Oh and if I win, that’s 5 dollars.

I had to fight hard to argue with thick skulled people y’know? Almost everyone on there are entitled to their own opinion, you’ll argue for hours until you become good friends and learn to change together. I’m not joking, I’ve befriended most of the people that either started the conflict or wrote something dumb. (Or I’m the hostile one :blob_whistle:)
If you cannot fight 'em, join 'em and make your enemies frenemies i feel is your motto lol.

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
I don't know people, if someone is offering a professional service, they're more than open to critique. And the industry standard for the creation of a cover and the licenses and everything is normally about $500 unless you need something special. $500 for top of the line work that some major publishers would use.

Half price is something. . . but this isn't exactly a venue for professionals so it isn't like we're starting at the industry standard rate either. Some of the art is really good, some of the other art I wouldn't pay $250 for.

Eh.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Uhn... Just my personal opinion on this whole debate that was sparked in this thread... Take it for what it is.

250$ is too much for the work you're offering... Like... Most of your art is great, don't get me wrong... But the faces you draw are ugly, and since the characters are usually at the center of the piece, this ends up taking a lot of the appeal of your work.

Like, the background of the image with a fairy is fantastic... And her wings are beautiful too... But her face is like... Bleeeeeeeegh. It kinda ruins the whole piece.
The one below is even worse, the face looks honestly amateurish.

I'm not saying 250$ is too much for a piece of art, but it's probably too much for your current level... At least that's my take on it. You seem great with backgrounds and with anatomy in general, but your faces look really subpar and unappealing to me.

I will say that being a flat 250$ does have its advantages though, since other artists sometimes ask a price per character, making it really hard for anyone to consider asking for anything more than 1 character in the cover due to how high the price would get, so being able to ask for more characters without a needing to pay a higher price to you does have its benefits... But still, I really don't think I'd ever even consider paying 250$ for what you offer rn.

Maybe try lowering it to 100$ or 150$ or something? I think it would be more reasonable like this... But well that's my perspective as someone that lives in a country whose currency is 5x weaker than USD, so like... I can't help feeling like you're offering too little when asking me for as much money as what I earn in a month.

Take this for what it is. Just my own two cents on the current discussion~

Not_A_Symphony

Picasso 2.0
I just found this thread and I can say I am very disappointed. I arrived at this forum quite recently and loved how well-received I was, however, now I see some comments here that make me feel extremely annoyed.

Firstly, I apologize to the creator of the thread and ask that you don't lump everyone together in the same bag. Some of us do understand your struggles and respect you as an artist and human being.

I think it is extremely rude to insult the hard work of someone, no matter how good or how bad it is. [in big letters since I am extremely mad] :blob_hmph::blob_thor:
You can have your own taste and express your own opinions, we are free to do so but understanding where the thin line of where your opinion turns into disrespect is essential. Speaking with some restraint is what should be done, in case you have something negative to say.
None of us know the creator of this thread (or most of us) so we are not familiar enough to speak so freely to a stranger. Besides, we don't even start to guess how many struggles that person has in their life, whether it is related to art or not. You don't know someone's story so don't step on the boundaries that disrespect and hurt them.
Have some respect and decency, understand that we are all different people and should be treated accordingly.
I'm sure no one here would like to have their work, filled with sweat, tears, and time to be so rudely insulted just because it wasn't "someone's cup of tea".

Now, moving to a lighter topic after my rant.
I found a moment of nostalgia when I saw your art. My mother used to buy me several history books with art quite similar to yours, even though I was quite young at the time (around 9 years old).
I agree with what some people are saying: 250$ is a very high price. Even then, you, as the artist, should be the one to define it. Taking into account the number of hours and resources you need to create your art is essential when establishing your prices, so don't sell yourself short, however, I would advise you to divide your prices.
So for example, the picture with the fairy looks extremely detailed, so I'm sure it took several hours, if not days to be completed, knowing that you can easily charge that amount. On the other hand, you have some designs with simpler backgrounds and, maybe, in those you could be slightly more flexible since you end up working on them faster.
I would also advise you that, if you are only earning money as an artist, to build your community first. As I said, there is no need to sell yourself short but you should also have prices that don't scare people away. This way you will be able to have faithful customers that will end up coming back to pay for your services and then, slowly but surely, you can step up on your rates to the price you think they deserve.
Note: These are suggestions, nothing more, nothing less. Don't want you to feel like I am offending you in any way.

I also agree with what some members are saying. Your art is very unique and very dark, however, the Scribble Hub community mostly rotates around anime/manga lovers [for what I could see], just like Wattpad community is mostly teenagers that don't usually enjoy these types of designs/animations. Thus, it will be harder for someone who mostly enjoys anime-style art, in an anime-based community, to appreciate your art.
I would advise you to do a market search as I am sure there will be a community that will find beauty in your art [because, as I said, I've read books with art quite similar to yours when I was younger] since I think you are searching for commissions in the wrong market segment.

Nevertheless, I'm sorry for my lengthy post. I am sorry if your feelings got hurt by some insensitive comments [or if I offended you with my suggestions in any way!].
Hope you continue working on your art and achieve everything you wish :blobtaco: :blob_paint:

Last edited:

EternalSunset0

Uhn... Just my personal opinion on this whole debate that was sparked in this thread... Take it for what it is.

250$ is too much for the work you're offering... Like... Most of your art is great, don't get me wrong... But the faces you draw are ugly, and since the characters are usually at the center of the piece, this ends up taking a lot of the appeal of your work.

Like, the background of the image with a fairy is fantastic... And her wings are beautiful too... But her face is like... Bleeeeeeeegh. It kinda ruins the whole piece.
The one below is even worse, the face looks honestly amateurish.

I'm not saying 250$ is too much for a piece of art, but it's probably too much for your current level... At least that's my take on it. You seem great with backgrounds and with anatomy in general, but your faces look really subpar and unappealing to me.

I will say that being a flat 250$ does have its advantages though, since other artists sometimes ask a price per character, making it really hard for anyone to consider asking for anything more than 1 character in the cover due to how high the price would get, so being able to ask for more characters without a needing to pay a higher price to you does have its benefits... But still, I really don't think I'd ever even consider paying 250$ for what you offer rn.

Maybe try lowering it to 100$ or 150$ or something? I think it would be more reasonable like this... But well that's my perspective as someone that lives in a country whose currency is 5x weaker than USD, so like... I can't help feeling like you're offering too little when asking me for as much money as what I earn in a month.

Take this for what it is. Just my own two cents on the current discussion~
This is pretty much what I was looking for when I gave my comment. Really good comment on why you think the price doesn't justify the quality. Feels a lot more diplomatic, too, which would ease tension between possible clients and the artist.

I didn't quote, but I also love the comment from @Not_A_Symphony. See? We can criticize without sounding too harsh or disrespectful.

TheWitchOfTheRock

Clearly this is - as has been pointed out- not the market for me.

At the advice and very clear critique of many people, I will be closing my commissions on this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.