Writing There isn't a point to physics if they can be "broken".

Avakrael

I mean, its fine if your character makes the mistake of thinking physics can be broken.
Mistakes are made in life.
But as the story teller, it is definitely useful to know that it is indeed a mistake.

Physics is a principle concept which indicates the basic causal relationship(s) between physical phenomena.
This says that force, mass, gravity, energy, density, state changes, etcetera have a fundamental nature; this root identity is a grasp on the laws of existence itself, not just in an isolated place.

But physics are not obstacles which you must overcome, but rather the means itself to reach your unique goals.

Solely by understanding principles of how things operate no matter where you are, can you figure out how to apply that certainty to unique contexts where those principles you have learned are placed in a template that you haven't quite experienced yet.

The principles you have comprehended and to the extent that you did, are the guide to dealing with unknowns which require sussing.

Reason generates confidence from a real connection to the anchors (laws) that it identifies.

"Existence is Identity, Consciousness is Identification."

The milestones of progress that help you deal with future challenges are the universal principles acquired from experiencing their inevitable effect(s).

"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed."

And if nature has the fickle nonintelligibility of lacking any eternal principles of causality, then what is the value of existence exactly?

2wordsperminute

But what if physics isn't fully understood? For a long time, people thought that the earth was flat, or that it was the center of the solar system. Evidence against those isn't necessarily breaking what is true, it's just breaking conceptions of what's true.

Prince_Azmiran_Myrian

🐉Burns you with his Love🐉

I mean, its fine if your character makes the mistake of thinking physics can be broken.
But as the story teller, it is definitely useful to know that it is indeed a mistake.

Physics is a principle concept which indicates the basic causal relationship(s) between physical phenomena.
This says that force, mass, gravity, energy, density, state changes, etcetera have a fundamental nature; this root identity is a grasp on the laws of existence itself, not just in an isolated place.

But physics are not obstacles which you must overcome, but rather the means itself to reach your unique goals.

Solely by understanding principles of how things operate no matter where you are, can you figure out how to apply that certainty to unique contexts where those principles you have learned are placed in a template that you haven't quite experienced yet.

The principles you have comprehended and to the extent that you did, are the guide to dealing with unknowns which require sussing.

Reason generates confidence from a real connection to the anchors (laws) that it identifies.

The milestones of progress that help you deal with future challenges are the universal principles acquired from experiencing their inevitable effect(s).

And if nature has the fickle nonintelligibility of lacking any eternal principles of causality, then what is the value of existence exactly?
Could you be more clear about what point you are trying to make?
How is this useful to writing, or to an author?

Last edited:

RiaCorvidiva

Lady with a Caws.
This feels like the ramblings of an armchair philosopher who feels that they are dazzling us with their brilliance, but are really just bemusing us with their buffoonery.

----

Seriously, it's speculative fiction; we break established laws of physics all the time. Strict adherence to logical principles and deep, underlying worldbuilding is less important to 99.9% of readers than an enjoyable plot and engaging characters

LilRora

Mostly formless
I think some of what you're saying makes sense, but do tell me, can you honestly say you fully understand physics? This:
not only is incomplete, because you have no source of those relationships, but also doesn't mention magic and supernatural. What you're saying is built on grand assumptions you make with very limited knowledge of the very subject those assumptions are rooted in.

And that not mentioning another thing. Have you ever heard of Gödel's Incompleteness Theorem? It's got a lot of similarities with this although it refers purely to math, and the whole thing is obviously way too complicated to explain here, but the core principle is, we cannot know everything, and as authors of fiction we are free to fill those gaps in knowledge with speculation and guesses - and even that assuming we operate on the existing laws instead of making up our own.

My advice is, if you ever think along those lines, make sure you specify very precisely what you refer to. Here you didn't, so I can only assume you're talking in general. Your question at the end is a good question, your arguments aren't half bad, but you're making assumptions and so long as you do without specifying anything else, I can tell you with conviction you made a mistake.

HungrySheep

I like yuri
Physics is subjective. Take, for example, the existence of a hyper-dimensional entity.
The mere
assumption of their adherence to humanity's feeble and so-called "fundamental natures" is the height of arrogance.
But as a
metaphysical seeker, it is of vital import to accept that arrogance.

Ultimately, we as metaphysical seekers surpass all mere
mortals.
Their
puerile flailing dedicated in supplication to our superior intellect is beneath us.

Ergo, it is only
logical that we recognize that our laws of causality far surpass theirs.
What they see as "
law", we merely envision as "guidelines."

Guidelines can be bent or in some cases,
broken.

Indeed, I am a
hyper-dimensional entity.
A metaphysical seeker.
One who transcends the laws of physics, but not one who willingly breaks them.

"
Me, bequeathed thee the psychopathological hand-me-downs."

The
adherence to physics is merely a chain that shackles the free mind.
To
accept physics is to accept the inferiority of your intellect, bowing down to those who came before.

"Know when you're
defeated. Accept your defecation."

If a
metaphysical seeker allows themselves to be tied down by ideas wrought from mere mortal minds, then what is the purpose of philosophy?

MatchaChocolate69

What happens when the mirror breaks?
Physics is subjective. Take, for example, the existence of a hyper-dimensional entity.
The mere
assumption of their adherence to humanity's feeble and so-called "fundamental natures" is the height of arrogance.
But as a
metaphysical seeker, it is of vital import to accept that arrogance.

Ultimately, we as metaphysical seekers surpass all mere
mortals.
Their
puerile flailing dedicated in supplication to our superior intellect is beneath us.

Ergo, it is only
logical that we recognize that our laws of causality far surpass theirs.
What they see as "
law", we merely envision as "guidelines."

Guidelines can be bent or in some cases,
broken.

Indeed, I am a
hyper-dimensional entity.
A metaphysical seeker.
One who transcends the laws of physics, but not one who willingly breaks them.

"
Me, bequeathed thee the psychopathological hand-me-downs."

The
adherence to physics is merely a chain that shackles the free mind.
To
accept physics is to accept the inferiority of your intellect, bowing down to those who came before.

"Know when you're
defeated. Accept your defecation."

If a
metaphysical seeker allows themselves to be tied down by ideas wrought from mere mortal minds, then what is the purpose of philosophy?
I am shedding a tear not ironically. Beautiful.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
Current laws of physics change as more variables are discovered.

This is science. Laws in nature are patterned and recognized into specific theories due to finding repetitive examples and observation.

Testing tries to find the hidden variables.
Theory is based on extrapolation, fact is based on uncovering the variables and learning what actually works.

Avakrael

But what if physics isn't fully understood? For a long time, people thought that the earth was flat, or that it was the center of the solar system. Evidence against those isn't necessarily breaking what is true, it's just breaking conceptions of what's true.
As long as you understand that certainty is indeed possible, of course mistaken hypotheses exist inevitably. Learning is difficult ... if it is easy, its because you have accumulated the necessary foundation.
This feels like the ramblings of an armchair philosopher who feels that they are dazzling us with their brilliance, but are really just bemusing us with their buffoonery.

----

Seriously, it's speculative fiction; we break established laws of physics all the time. Strict adherence to logical principles and deep, underlying worldbuilding is less important to 99.9% of readers than an enjoyable plot and engaging characters
No enjoyment of anything is possible unless you have built a reliable frame to reach it.
In Gundam they made a fictional state of matter (minovsky particle) solely to justify close range spaceship and robot battles
If it doesn't have some identity that indicates a distinct operable phenomena, then it is just melodramatic gibberish.

(Like the illusion that cocaine is a good idea: in the short term, you get something {wow, deep big science particle thingy, make space battles super edgy!} but from the longterm perspective, on net you have taken it upon yourself to shoot up chicken blood & run wild like a fucking giddy self-harm retard.)

Last edited:

OatMush

up to no good
I don't know many stories I like that are 100% logical, yet alone consistent physics wise.

...because the human experience isn't logical or consistent. We don't understand most of the things that happen, and crazy coincidences happen all the time. Others have mentioned this, but our current understanding of physics is full of contradictions and cannot explain many observable phenomenon. We know our understanding of physics is incorrect, so why care so much about it in a story people read for fun?

No enjoyment of anything is possible unless you have built a reliable frame to reach it.
I think you might just be a joyless person

Avakrael

I think some of what you're saying makes sense, but do tell me, can you honestly say you fully understand physics? This:

not only is incomplete, because you have no source of those relationships, but also doesn't mention magic and supernatural. What you're saying is built on grand assumptions you make with very limited knowledge of the very subject those assumptions are rooted in.

And that not mentioning another thing. Have you ever heard of Gödel's Incompleteness Theorem? It's got a lot of similarities with this although it refers purely to math, and the whole thing is obviously way too complicated to explain here, but the core principle is, we cannot know everything, and as authors of fiction we are free to fill those gaps in knowledge with speculation and guesses - and even that assuming we operate on the existing laws instead of making up our own.

My advice is, if you ever think along those lines, make sure you specify very precisely what you refer to. Here you didn't, so I can only assume you're talking in general. Your question at the end is a good question, your arguments aren't half bad, but you're making assumptions and so long as you do without specifying anything else, I can tell you with conviction you made a mistake.
Oh, okay?

Magic and supernatural, by what I said, exist based on cause and effect like everything else.

The principle concepts relating to any physical phenomena are fundamental physics; the principal derivatives (temporary rules) are contextual physics specific to the unique application of principles in isolated instances.

You can never know everything?

What is everything to you exactly?

Everything necessary to achieve your ultimate goal in this babel is the inferior version of everything in the next; but they are still building upon each other in perfect hierarchical progression with every set of growing principle knowledge finished completely in each. Which is the sole way to the next ~ the climax of supreme achievement from whole comprehension.

I am aware that inductive philosophy receives endless doubts from others, but the content is here; in teaching others, I am sincere. Consider it if it interests you, maybe a seed will be deposited within you.

°~°

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
Indeed, I am a hyper-dimensional entity.
Endeed*

Enteresting :blob_popcorn_two:
If you wanna do this write nonfiction

Avakrael

Current laws of physics change as more variables are discovered.

This is science. Laws in nature are patterned and recognized into specific theories due to finding repetitive examples and observation.

Testing tries to find the hidden variables.
Theory is based on extrapolation, fact is based on uncovering the variables and learning what actually works.
Translation: everything is always changing. Nothing ever stays the same.

-Heraclitus

Everything always stays the same. Nothing ever changes.

-Parmenides

Definition is the immovable mover progressively solving chaos via order.

-Socrates & Aristotle (paraphrase)
I don't know many stories I like that are 100% logical, yet alone consistent physics wise.

...because the human experience isn't logical or consistent. We don't understand most of the things that happen, and crazy coincidences happen all the time. Others have mentioned this, but our current understanding of physics is full of contradictions and cannot explain many observable phenomenon. We know our understanding of physics is incorrect, so why care so much about it in a story people read for fun?

I think you might just be a joyless person
Sigh, you need not know everything to live: but you at least must know enough. And the requirements of learning increase alongside the problems that need solving as a growing sentient being.

Such is the frame of Life's painting.