Things that don't make sense in the isekai

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
I totally don't get why they always do Medieval Settings instead of Greek/Roman ones.

If you think about it the Roman period is an upgrade in every point of concern. Better laws, better sanitary, better buildings, better transportation, cooler clothes and better everything

ConansWitchBaby

Da Scalie Whisperer
They tend to also forget the dynamics of having a totalitarian religion influencing them. For the most part it was high society with the hygiene issues as well as the ones writing about it. Bathing being lecherous and prone to bouts of sexual frustration as per the rules of purity. While the common folk know they are covered in cow shit and might as well tell the system to go fuck itself and be clean. An addendum to this is that teeth cleaning was done with ash water and not solely reliant on being in contact with sweets.

Medicine isn't that hard to figure out given the settings of most stories. Don't forget that these people have been there for centuries usually in that one location and have got the knowledge of their local plants and herbs. Sure, someone died along the way to figure out that they shouldn't ingest a few things but, they would have got to the point of reliable medicinal mixing.

Language is annoying. I forget who it was that got questioned about their societies having different dialects and such and the author simply responded with that he was doing the translating for the reader automatically. Don't think about it too much unless you want to go into the effort of developing a written language of your own to be bundled with your novel for "authenticity" of the craft.

Only japanese? It started recently getting popular because the japanese figured out a formula for this type of escapism. Nothing is stopping you from reading stories in the vein of Lost in Space, Peter Pan or the go to gotcha novel of Alice in Wonderland.

I find it weird that the Japs have a weird love boner for having slaves. Or having others forced onto them when in reality these types of interactions have been historically to be methodically planned out. Even with low born non influential people in local communities and business transactions between slavers and slave owners.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
1. Language: Typically, you go to a different world where a different language is spoken, but for some reason they have the same grammatical rules as your original language, or at least that's the most logical conclusion you can think of.
In most Japanese stories the protagonist still uses "honorifics" or the "formal way of speaking" and it seems that no one in that world; I repeat, he uses a different language, it seems strange to him that someone adds letters to the end of his name or sentence. Moreover, the same natives seem to follow the same customs of the language. The only way I see this being halfway justified is if they have an ability called "translation" or something similar. But in many cases the protagonist learns the language from scratch so it really is strange.
Unless you want language barrier to be a key point of your story, then you should not, on any occasion, introduce more than one language.

I mean, sure, you can simply handwave the language problems away with translation magic, but that basically amounts to the same end result of having a single language.

Fact is, you want your characters to be able to properly communicate, and your readers to properly understand what is happening... So, if someone is isekai'd to a different world, and they magically happen to talk English... Then you were just lucky that English exists in a different world. That's all there is to it, and that's how you should write your own novels too. Everyone in the entire world should speak English and nobody should ever question it... Unless you actually want language barrier to be a key point of your story, of course.
2. Only Japanese?: In several stories where there are several individuals who go to other worlds or in the story you mention that there were more people as the protagonist, for some reason they are all Japanese. Until now I have not heard of another nationality in these kinds of stories.
Very similar to the one above. No point in multiple isekais taking people from different cultures, as it will just make it harder for your readers to relate to the characters. Especially if your target audience mostly consists of people from your home country.

Just think of it as a lucky coincidence. No need to overthink it too much. It's easier on the readers and on the author if it's done like that.
3. Food: The Japanese seem to love their food to the point of having to replicate it in a different world, but it's just too unnatural for all of Earth's plants to come into existence in the other world, after all so many of them have been created Through artificial selection, even if the same plant were to exist it would probably be a degraded or primitive version of it.
It is also quite strange that the natives find it the most delicious food they have ever eaten.
According to my own research on the best restaurants and best cuisines, Japan is not among the first.
You don't have any need to invent new animals/plants when writing a story in a fantasy setting. The reader will more easily relate to apples than to Grewhala, the round red sweet fruit.

Sure, if your novel is cooking-focused, you can introduce new unique magical materials to work with, but... Otherwise, sticking to the things that already exist IRL is simpler and more efficient. No need to introduce new plants/animals to your reader if it's not relevant to your story. You're just putting an unnecessary burden on their memories, since, differently from you, your readers won't keep a well-organized glossary that mentions all terms that you introduced to the story.

As for the thingy about the native people loving Japanese Cuisine... This one I will agree that is a bit of a stretch, but it's fine if they happen to not have had very tasty food to eat in general. If most of what they ate consisted of simple grains, they'll probably be very much in love with any kind meat and/or sweet.
4. Medieval or modern: For some strange reason you find yourself in a different world that seems to be set in the middle ages, but for some reason they look clean, they wear decent clothes, the place does not stink and they have objects that do the same functions as the that we use in the contemporary age. The reality is that in the middle ages commoners looked like homeless people, the streets are full of excrement from both people and animals, the houses are made of wood, the floor is dirt, no urban planning and of course let's not forget of the medicine made of mixing things at random or the lack of hygienic care of people.
Believe me when I tell you that a tramp today has better living conditions than a commoner in the middle ages.
While yes, commoners nowadays do have a better living standard than nobility did have in the middle ages, that doesn't suddenly make historically inaccurate depictions of Medieval people truthful.

@Agentt already wrote plenty about this point, so I won't go too much in-depth... But I will tell you to try doing some research before assuming that "common knowledge" about medieval settings is true. Otherwise you'll start thinking that water was too unclean in medieval times, so people mostly drank beer instead (Yes, some people think this is true. Crazy, right?). Like... Seriously, why do you think wells exist? To get water... Clean water (not to mention tons of clean rivers existed too, and people actually used those).
5. Inventory: There is always the typical storage or inventory ability that only allows you to put non-living things inside and also freezes time.
The reality is that the function of stopping time is unnecessary, after all the decomposition arises from fungi or microorganisms that travel through the air, if the ability does not allow living beings to enter then they will not be able to decompose them. Although there are some that break down by chemical reactions, but they are not really abundant. The same is for objects that are eroded by air or water, if the ability only lets in the specified object then it will remain intact. This is what is normally known as void sealing, the thing is that the ability is an absolute void.
This is a simple plot-device for convenience's sake. I don't have much to say about it.

Sure, the time-stop is unnecessary, but it doesn't really harm the narrative in anyways, so it's fine.

And well, you totally can make a narrative without an item box... The item box just makes it more practical for authors that don't want to think too much about logistics.
Bathing being lecherous and prone to bouts of sexual frustration as per the rules of purity. While the common folk know they are covered in cow shit and might as well tell the system to go fuck itself and be clean. An addendum to this is that teeth cleaning was done with ash water and not solely reliant on being in contact with sweets.
This is mostly false tbh. Most people (nobility and clergy included) in Middle Ages did bathe regularly.

There were indeed a very very very small handful of people that almost never bathed (from the top of my head, I can recall one noble and one member of the clergy), and their actions were seeing as more of a martyrdom than a practice other people were expected to follow... And yes, people were aware of how unhealthy it was to not bathe.

Similarly, Medieval folks were also aware of what things were more likely to make teeth rot, and did regularly wash their teeth, so they didn't have nearly as bad of a dental health as you're portraying.

ConansWitchBaby

Da Scalie Whisperer
This is mostly false tbh. Most people (nobility and clergy included) in Middle Ages did bathe regularly.

There were indeed a very very very small handful of people that almost never bathed (from the top of my head, I can recall one noble and one member of the clergy), and their actions were seeing as more of a martyrdom than a practice other people were expected to follow... And yes, people were aware of how unhealthy it was to not bathe.
As having clean clothes, linen was also used to clean the body actively. In Sir Thomas Elyot’s book The Castel of Helth (1534), he recommends that the morning routine should include a session whereby a man was to ‘rubbe the body with a course lynnen clothe, first softely and easilye, and after to increase more and more, to a harde and swyfte rubbynge, untyll the fleshe do swelle, and be somewhat ruddy, and that not only downe ryghte, but also overthwart and round’. This would ensure that ‘his body is clensed’. This vigorous rubbing, especially if done after exercise, was intended to help draw out the body’s toxins through the open pores, with the unwanted bodily matter then being carried away by the coarse linen cloth.

While tudor era knowledge can be seen with physician Thomas Moulton, in his This is the Myrrour or Glasse of Helth of 1545, spelt it out: ‘Also use no baths or stoves; nor swet too much, for all openeth the pores of a manne’s body and maketh the venomous ayre to enter and for to infecte the bloode.’ The medical advice of the era was clear: avoid places where the air was stagnant, or where vapours rose from marshes, pools, tanyards and muck heaps; keep the air about you fresh and sweet-smelling; keep the pores of your skin tightly sealed, and cover the body as fully as possible. Hands and face were to be rinsed regularly, both when rising in the morning and before every meal, but it was to be done in clean cold water that would wash off surface dirt, or with perfumed cold washing waters produced within the home.

It was less bathing and more changing of clothes.
Similarly, Medieval folks were also aware of what things were more likely to make teeth rot, and did regularly wash their teeth, so they didn't have nearly as bad of a dental health as you're portraying.
I didn't portray anything bad beside saying they wash their mouths? Ash with water is rather effective in cleaning.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
As having clean clothes, linen was also used to clean the body actively. In Sir Thomas Elyot’s book The Castel of Helth (1534), he recommends that the morning routine should include a session whereby a man was to ‘rubbe the body with a course lynnen clothe, first softely and easilye, and after to increase more and more, to a harde and swyfte rubbynge, untyll the fleshe do swelle, and be somewhat ruddy, and that not only downe ryghte, but also overthwart and round’. This would ensure that ‘his body is clensed’. This vigorous rubbing, especially if done after exercise, was intended to help draw out the body’s toxins through the open pores, with the unwanted bodily matter then being carried away by the coarse linen cloth.

While tudor era knowledge can be seen with physician Thomas Moulton, in his This is the Myrrour or Glasse of Helth of 1545, spelt it out: ‘Also use no baths or stoves; nor swet too much, for all openeth the pores of a manne’s body and maketh the venomous ayre to enter and for to infecte the bloode.’ The medical advice of the era was clear: avoid places where the air was stagnant, or where vapours rose from marshes, pools, tanyards and muck heaps; keep the air about you fresh and sweet-smelling; keep the pores of your skin tightly sealed, and cover the body as fully as possible. Hands and face were to be rinsed regularly, both when rising in the morning and before every meal, but it was to be done in clean cold water that would wash off surface dirt, or with perfumed cold washing waters produced within the home.

I mean... You say that, but if you try doing some simple googling for "middle ages bathing", the first four results (I didn't click the rest) you find all say very very clearly that bathing was a common and encouraged practice in middle ages. Here is one of them, that was written by a historian and has references linked as footnotes: https://going-medieval.com/2019/08/02/i-assure-you-medieval-people-bathed/

Also, why are you bring up Modern Ages books to talk about Middle Ages? 16th century isn't Middle Ages.

Actually let me quote one of the last paragraphs on the article I just linked, it's very relevant:
You know what else helps? Well, in the modern period sometimes people were gross. In both the sixteenth and eighteenth centuries, there were times when some doctors claimed that bathing was harmful. This was often linked to the idea that bathing with warm water would open the pores and allow contagion in. And here’s the thing about that – a lot of people just don’t know what the medieval period is, but they are pretty sure it is when stuff was gross. So if they hear about doctors telling you not to bathe they are like, “LOL medieval people were gross”, even if that is going down smack bang in the modern period.
So uhn... Yeah... Not really a medieval problem, but a modern problem.
I didn't portray anything bad beside saying they wash their mouths? Ash with water is rather effective in cleaning.
I misunderstood your point on this one. That was my bad.

JohnDoe9838

Why should fantasy be devoid of logic? Fantasy adds some new elements to the world, but it still needs to follow logic.
If during the climactic battle with the final boss, the hero gets his head cut off, but instead of dying, a flower grows on his neck and the enemy turns into a pink fairy that goes around giving candies to everyone, and no one questions or reacts to any of this, would you be fine with it? There would be no reason or explanation for this, it just happened because why not? we don't have to folow logic, apparently.
Logic and cause and effect are the basis of any story, even in fantasy. It is what creates stakes and makes us invested.
Even if there is some magic making unusual thigs happen, in should not be illogical. It is simplly that another element has been added to the equation, which changes the result.
I agree with you.
It's not about making the most realistic story in the world, but it's about verisimilitude, the illusion of something real.
It makes me very salty that people just say "lol it's fantasy/escapism, no one cares".
I mean, in the end it's true, a lot of people don't care (not even the author sometimes). So, usually the story can be focused on other aspects and not so much on survival (like gathering a bunch of trophy-girls, showing how cool your generic progonist #20023 is overcoming every obstacle effortlessly, or having your murder-hobo on his 13th killing-spree, etc.).
I don't think the points DavidSL makes are about nitpicking, it would be interesting to read some stories that put a little bit of emphasis on those aspects and not the ones mentioned above.

I think in the end the problem is me, I don't understand the escapism or the self-insert thing. I loathe myself so much that I'm not even the protagonist of my own fantasies, why would I put myself in a story, to ruin it?

Sorry about the rant, have a nice day, everyone.

Lloyd

Professional Writer
The middle ages was legit the best time to be alive. I would love to be a crusader / monk / dirt farmer.

harrysam35

I love to hear revenge songs and wear clothes as well. Currently, I want to buy revenge merch clothes so suggest me a good site about it.

Last edited:

aattss

Honestly, I find it annoying when an Isekai WN wastes its time doing pointless things like saying that actually on this planet a day is 26 hours and they don't have apples they have drapples and they don't have wolves they forles.

Like, sure, one could argue that realistically people on another world would be aliens and the MC would die from sickness and stuff, but realism isn't necessarily equivalent to quality.