Things that don't make sense in the isekai

DavidSL

After reading several stories of the genre I have found several details that the authors do not take into account. They are mostly things that happen in Japanese novels.

1. Language: Typically, you go to a different world where a different language is spoken, but for some reason they have the same grammatical rules as your original language, or at least that's the most logical conclusion you can think of.
In most Japanese stories the protagonist still uses "honorifics" or the "formal way of speaking" and it seems that no one in that world; I repeat, he uses a different language, it seems strange to him that someone adds letters to the end of his name or sentence. Moreover, the same natives seem to follow the same customs of the language. The only way I see this being halfway justified is if they have an ability called "translation" or something similar. But in many cases the protagonist learns the language from scratch so it really is strange.

2. Only Japanese?: In several stories where there are several individuals who go to other worlds or in the story you mention that there were more people as the protagonist, for some reason they are all Japanese. Until now I have not heard of another nationality in these kinds of stories.

3. Food: The Japanese seem to love their food to the point of having to replicate it in a different world, but it's just too unnatural for all of Earth's plants to come into existence in the other world, after all so many of them have been created Through artificial selection, even if the same plant were to exist it would probably be a degraded or primitive version of it.
It is also quite strange that the natives find it the most delicious food they have ever eaten.
According to my own research on the best restaurants and best cuisines, Japan is not among the first.

4. Medieval or modern: For some strange reason you find yourself in a different world that seems to be set in the middle ages, but for some reason they look clean, they wear decent clothes, the place does not stink and they have objects that do the same functions as the that we use in the contemporary age. The reality is that in the middle ages commoners looked like homeless people, the streets are full of excrement from both people and animals, the houses are made of wood, the floor is dirt, no urban planning and of course let's not forget of the medicine made of mixing things at random or the lack of hygienic care of people.
Believe me when I tell you that a tramp today has better living conditions than a commoner in the middle ages.

5. Inventory: There is always the typical storage or inventory ability that only allows you to put non-living things inside and also freezes time.
The reality is that the function of stopping time is unnecessary, after all the decomposition arises from fungi or microorganisms that travel through the air, if the ability does not allow living beings to enter then they will not be able to decompose them. Although there are some that break down by chemical reactions, but they are not really abundant. The same is for objects that are eroded by air or water, if the ability only lets in the specified object then it will remain intact. This is what is normally known as void sealing, the thing is that the ability is an absolute void.

These are the ones that come to mind for now, but you are free to comment further on the subject.​

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
That's why all of my summoned people are from random European, American, and African countries as they each have different approaches to how they should function in the fantasy world that is similar to Europe but has a weird mix of Asian and African style countries mixed into the aesthetic. Though, all the characters have to live by the rules of the land unless their abilities counter the rules. Food is different based on where they are in the continent and how easily they can access certain foods through trade or growing it themselves. There is also no form of storage as they have to carry what they have on their backs.

Degoneth

After reading several stories of the genre I have found several details that the authors do not take into account. They are mostly things that happen in Japanese novels.

1. Language: Typically, you go to a different world where a different language is spoken, but for some reason they have the same grammatical rules as your original language, or at least that's the most logical conclusion you can think of.
In most Japanese stories the protagonist still uses "honorifics" or the "formal way of speaking" and it seems that no one in that world; I repeat, he uses a different language, it seems strange to him that someone adds letters to the end of his name or sentence. Moreover, the same natives seem to follow the same customs of the language. The only way I see this being halfway justified is if they have an ability called "translation" or something similar. But in many cases the protagonist learns the language from scratch so it really is strange.

2. Only Japanese?: In several stories where there are several individuals who go to other worlds or in the story you mention that there were more people as the protagonist, for some reason they are all Japanese. Until now I have not heard of another nationality in these kinds of stories.

3. Food: The Japanese seem to love their food to the point of having to replicate it in a different world, but it's just too unnatural for all of Earth's plants to come into existence in the other world, after all so many of them have been created Through artificial selection, even if the same plant were to exist it would probably be a degraded or primitive version of it.
It is also quite strange that the natives find it the most delicious food they have ever eaten.
According to my own research on the best restaurants and best cuisines, Japan is not among the first.

4. Medieval or modern: For some strange reason you find yourself in a different world that seems to be set in the middle ages, but for some reason they look clean, they wear decent clothes, the place does not stink and they have objects that do the same functions as the that we use in the contemporary age. The reality is that in the middle ages commoners looked like homeless people, the streets are full of excrement from both people and animals, the houses are made of wood, the floor is dirt, no urban planning and of course let's not forget of the medicine made of mixing things at random or the lack of hygienic care of people.
Believe me when I tell you that a tramp today has better living conditions than a commoner in the middle ages.

5. Inventory: There is always the typical storage or inventory ability that only allows you to put non-living things inside and also freezes time.
The reality is that the function of stopping time is unnecessary, after all the decomposition arises from fungi or microorganisms that travel through the air, if the ability does not allow living beings to enter then they will not be able to decompose them. Although there are some that break down by chemical reactions, but they are not really abundant. The same is for objects that are eroded by air or water, if the ability only lets in the specified object then it will remain intact. This is what is normally known as void sealing, the thing is that the ability is an absolute void.

These are the ones that come to mind for now, but you are free to comment further on the subject.​
Well... I am writing a story with all these things in mind and guess what happens? No one gives a f**k.

Why? Because that is the exact opposite of what readers want.

The main point of Isekai Genre is escapism. The more realistic you make the worse reaction it gets.

Oh... And language barrier makes the story slow paced.

Moreover diseases and dirt means STDs. Escapists wants to have sex in their first day on the new world. And harems... That is a must. So the every woman must be clean and disease free.Thus the society.

The food? Fauna? Flora? No writer have time to create and name a whole bunch of million things while writing their story and readers don't give a f**k either. So they just use what is available.

Inventory? Teleport? The first one is a story device that helps the author make the MC carry everything he needs without the author needs to remember s**t. The second one again another story device that helps the author pace the story without thinking too much.
Imagine an Isekai without these two things? The MC would just die due to hunger, thirst, the elements or a while bunch of mundane stuff without any adventure. That is exactly what people wants to escape.

I can write a doctorate thesis on this matter. Just don't have the time. Just check my story. It's just a glorifiedly boring isekai which the MC still doesn't know where he is how did he came there still after 10+ chapters.

LordJoyde

Because writing Isekai is basically the same as escapism. Anything that might even remotely inconvenience the writers personal comfort levels is usually either ignored or outright 'solved' via one magical contraption or another.

Jemini

In most Japanese stories the protagonist still uses "honorifics" or the "formal way of speaking" and it seems that no one in that world; I repeat, he uses a different language, it seems strange to him that someone adds letters to the end of his name or sentence. Moreover, the same natives seem to follow the same customs of the language. The only way I see this being halfway justified is if they have an ability called "translation" or something similar. But in many cases the protagonist learns the language from scratch so it really is strange.​

Speaking as someone who answered this issue in my own writing, I can tell you exactly why people keep making this mistake. (And, yes, it is a lot more apparent with Japanese speech due to the honorifics and formal speech rules.)

The amount of effort required to avoid these grammatical rules appearing in the other-world language involves ACTUALLY making an entire language from scratch. I actually happen to have done exactly this in my world, but I absolutely do not blame anyone who decides not to go to all this effort.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
There are three things I can say to that.

The first is the Roman Empire. They came before the medieval era and had clean streets, plumbing, high quality clothing with dyes and ornamentation, stone buildings(Marble, BaBy!), excessive urban planning, and - well the medicine may not have been all that high end.

The second is [https://www.youtube.com/user/shadmbrooks/videos] -Woah. Uh. What I meant to say, is that people don't actually like living in shit. There may have been places that had some of the problems you mention, but all of them? It's not like bathing hadn't been invented yet.

The third actually runs counter to my second point. There are places in the modern world where conditions are significantly worse than you describe. The rivers flow with plastic bottles and shit, the houses are made of scrap and sheet metal, and live electrical wires are tied together in the shape of trees.

Time and technology have no influence on this stuff. Better tech and magic will definitely give you an easier time, but effort, wealth and competent governance are more important.

That said, if you have magic that makes it trivial to clean and store things, it would be extremely disappointing if it was ignored because "Mah, the historical inaccuracies!" It was meant to be inaccurate from the start.
Inventory:
void sealing
Good catch, I guess I didn't think about it enough to notice.

longer

Balls
After reading several stories of the genre I have found several details that the authors do not take into account.
It's not that they don't take account of it, it just doesn't matter to them. While leaving these logical flaws often results in very lazy worldbuilding, fantasy worlds will generally have flaws if you really really think about it.

In my opinion, hyper realism can just ruin the fun of some things. World has a magic system for combat? Melee fighters would get fucked by mages messing with their footing. Unless someone wants to make all fighters wear magical anti-slip boots. Don't even get me started on using wind magic to just choke people. Or using flying creatures to just drop heavy objects on ground opponents while flying higher than a bow can shoot.

Why does isekai land use Japanese? Do you plan to have the Japanese read a story in a whole other language? Or is every author going to just pull a Tolkien, and even his languages aren't complete. The inventory thing is byproduct of video games and is for convenience.

If we're talking about additional flaws in logic, one would be the immune system of the isekai. Based on actual human history, people from groups that haven't interacted with each other for thousands of years can transmit extremely lethal diseases to one another. Would a story be fun if the isekaid person either dies from pneumonia or kills off most of the isekai world with some germ they accidentally brought over?

There is a requirement for certain things to just work so the story can not end within one chapter. Hyper realism does not make a story better, it makes the story astronomically harder to write. Make a story that is reasonable within your means. Fleshing it out more is nice, but don't jerk yourself off because you made 1/10000 of a fictional language while forgetting to actually make the writing good.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.

Well here is a thought then, how about you not write about isekai (ie getting someone, normally the proxy of the author or reader stand-in) and write about an OC living in a faux medieval world? Fun fact, it is taxing and the readers might not be engrossed to it.

For the record, what you read is often the author's knowledge and his perspective of the world, if you read a JP novel, what do you expect? A nationalistic and racist work that harps about the greatness of CCP?

So for your point 1 and 2, it is already answered. You are just reading what the author knows and is good at.

Also it helps that in most JP novels translated to EN, the awkwardness of -chans and -sans are spotted by non-JP speakers, because they stick out like an anime shirt wearing weeb.

For point 3, if you somehow mix enough herbs together, you might get a cheap replica of soy sauce or a hallucinogen that makes you believe its soy sauce.

For 4... it is the world made by the author, while he can write shits like "and there are manure on the floor and shitwater flowing in streams next to where the proxy stands'', no author will do that because it is a waste of word count.

For 5, blame the Dragon Quest and other JRPGs. Like I said, what the author knows.

BlackKnightX

Alright, here goes…

1. The translators on most web novels aren’t professional, they’re just doing it as a hobby or out of passion. If you look at the more professional translation, you’ll find that most of the time, the Japanese honorifics are all changed to fit English language.

For example: “Irisu-san, aren’t you coming?” —> “Miss Iris, aren’t you coming?” or “Arubato-sama, may I give a suggestion?” —> “Your majesty, may I give a suggestion?”

See? It’s the matter of translation, not the writing itself.

2. That’s purely the author’s whim. The author is Japanese, so it makes sense he would make the other isekaied characters Japanese as well. More than that, I’m not really sure about this, but I’ve heard that Japanese people aren’t really open to foreigners as one may think. So that’s something to think about.

3. Similar to the last one. Japanese people are very traditional and conservative. There’s nothing wrong with loving foods one grew up eating now, is there?

4. This one is also done by author’s whim. Author obviously doesn’t intend to write a realistic and dramatic fantasy in the first place. They just write to have fun, to escape from their mundane world. It’s all about wish-fulfillment.

Imagine your wifus looking like medieval peasants from way back. Are they still appealing to you?

5. No argument here. I pretty much agree with you aside from the fact that it works as a moral support to know that your stuffs will be preserved in a time-stopped space.

———

All in all, there’s no point in trying to make sense of isekai, or any web novels at all, for that matter.

Yeah, I know there are some web novels out there that aims for a realistic and dramatic experience, but that’s far in minority. If you can write something like that, then why bother writing a web novel in the first place? Why not sending it to the publishing house or maybe self publish it on amazon or something?

Most web novel’s authors don’t really care about all that realism and dramatic effect of their story. They only care about escapism, wish-fulfillment, and just having fun in general. It’s not their profession, they just write to have fun, to build a community, or just to escape from their mundane everyday life.

Last edited:

Temple

This is like shitting on Fifty Shades of Grey and Fifty Shades replying it's one of the best-selling books of all time. The simple truth is, isekai in its present form is for escapism and wish fulfillment. That's what sells. And there's nothing wrong with that. You go write a realistic isekai, and it won't really do well. It's not what people want. Don't blame the authors on this one. Blame the readers.
P.S., I'm an author that intentionally writes "not the usual" stories. If anyone can be bitter about WNs becoming wish fulfillment, it would be me. But I'm not. Just recognizing the fact that the supply of story goes where the demand is. And realistic isekai is not in demand.

Arkus86

1. It's really the same as to everyone speaking English in English written novels. Everything is translated for the readers and authors convenience.
As for honorifics, it's jarring to you when written in/translated to english, but it's hardly strange when it's in Japanese, where it's practically an integral part of the language. So don't blame Jap. authors there, blame those who mimic them and maybe the translators. And then again, it's often enough what the reader wants.

2. Logically it's a big coincidence at best. Practically, it is a tool to make the story closer to home for Japanese audience, or in case of western authors, mimic Japanese novels.

3. Again I can see the why, but it's possibly the biggest falacy in isekai. Half the protagonists get transported to another world only to recreate Jap. food as soon as possible, sometimes with ingredients the natives either did not know or did not consider edible, but everything they need is there and everyone loves it...

4. Just because they live in faux-medieval world does not mean they can't have moderately decent clothes, clean (main) streets and hygiene. Really, it was better through most of the Middle Ages than it is popularly made to be, and that's not even talking about the aforementioned Rome. And that's without magic to help.

5. All I can say is, is that stopping time makes it absolutely clear that everything you put in, will stay completely unchanged.

BigBadBoi

All of the things you described can be summed up as shit writing by japanese authors. Mushoku Tensei and a few other isekais don't have this problem. They mostly focus on wish fulfillment and stuff anyway so they don't expect good writing. You don't really expect masterpieces in WNs. Well except RoyalRoad because they're brutal in there except if it's another generic fucking litrpg.

Jemini

1. It's really the same as to everyone speaking English in English written novels. Everything is translated for the readers and authors convenience.
As for honorifics, it's jarring to you when written in/translated to english, but it's hardly strange when it's in Japanese, where it's practically an integral part of the language. So don't blame Jap. authors there, blame those who mimic them and maybe the translators. And then again, it's often enough what the reader wants.

Well, that excuse works right up until someone in the new world criticizes the protagonist for using the wrong honorific, which I've seen done in more than 1 web novel.

vaurwyn

Everyone dies someday, but I'm procrastinating
...it's fantasy anyway so f*ck logic.

Why should fantasy be devoid of logic? Fantasy adds some new elements to the world, but it still needs to follow logic.
If during the climactic battle with the final boss, the hero gets his head cut off, but instead of dying, a flower grows on his neck and the enemy turns into a pink fairy that goes around giving candies to everyone, and no one questions or reacts to any of this, would you be fine with it? There would be no reason or explanation for this, it just happened because why not? we don't have to folow logic, apparently.
Logic and cause and effect are the basis of any story, even in fantasy. It is what creates stakes and makes us invested.
Even if there is some magic making unusual thigs happen, in should not be illogical. It is simplly that another element has been added to the equation, which changes the result.

D

Deleted member 54065

Why should fantasy be devoid of logic? Fantasy adds some new elements to the world, but it still needs to follow logic.
If during the climactic battle with the final boss, the hero gets his head cut off, but instead of dying, a flower grows on his neck and the enemy turns into a pink fairy that goes around giving candies to everyone, and no one questions or reacts to any of this, would you be fine with it? There would be no reason or explanation for this, it just happened because why not? we don't have to folow logic, apparently.
Logic and cause and effect are the basis of any story, even in fantasy. It is what creates stakes and makes us invested.
Even if there is some magic making unusual thigs happen, in should not be illogical. It is simplly that another element has been added to the equation, which changes the result.
We're writers. Most of us knew what logic should be needed, and unneeded in our stories.

In this thread, the OP posted elements that usually are just nitpicks on any isekai story. While it's okay for discussion's sake, it's pretty futile given that the isekai setting itself is illogical.

T.K._Paradox

Was Divided By Zero: Looking for Glovebox Jesus
The other points you make are fair, but, the people in the medieval ages weren't a bunch of uncivilized brutes that shat in the street and were completely filthy.

Saying they looked like homeless people or even saying the homeless have it better than them is horseshit. The Romans had bath houses, and toilets you know the people that existed centuries before any of the great kingdoms of Europe.

Clothes while wouldn't have been the best. Still wouldn't be the rags people have you to believe that they wore.

Alchemist weren't just mixing things at random just because they could. They were trying to extract elements or discover they way something worked.

There was a sense of city planning, but not the way we know it today.

While the average peasant didn't have the best life, they aren't freezing out in the cold or aren't literally living in a cardboard box. Most of them actually had a warm home and meal to look forward to, unlike today's homeless.

Please take the time to do historical research beforehand instead making a historically inaccurate take that only reinforces a negative falsehood about history.
world that seems to be set in the middle ages, but for some reason they look clean, they wear decent clothes, the place does not stink and they have objects that do the same functions as the that we use in the contemporary age. The reality is that in the middle ages commoners looked like homeless people, the streets are full of excrement from both people and animals, the houses are made of wood, the floor is dirt, no urban planning and of course let's not forget of the medicine made of mixing things at random or the lack of hygienic care of people.

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
The other points you make are fair, but, the people in the medieval ages weren't a bunch of uncivilized brutes that shat in the street and were completely filthy.

Saying they looked like homeless people or even saying the homeless have it better than them is horseshit. The Romans had bath houses, and toilets you know the people that existed centuries before any of the great kingdoms of Europe.

Clothes while wouldn't have been the best. Still wouldn't be the rags people have you to believe that they wore.

Alchemist weren't just mixing things at random just because they could. They were trying to extract elements or discover they way something worked.

There was a sense of city planning, but not the way we know it today.

While the average peasant didn't have the best life, they aren't freezing out in the cold or aren't literally living in a cardboard box. Most of them actually had a warm home and meal to look forward to, unlike today's homeless.

Please take the time to do historical research beforehand instead making a historically inaccurate take that only reinforces a negative falsehood about history.
Another thing people forget is medieval peasants generally had great teeth contrary to the stereotype. Since they hardly ever ate any sugar.