Thoughts on a Divided Nation

Praybird

So, for starters...I'm South Korean. I'm from a country that has been a divided nation for longer than I was alive. Naturally, I grew up learning the history and I know what being a divived nation actually entails to an extent.

I've recently been thinking how using a setting like this in urban fantasy might be interesting, only to realize I actually have no clue what others think of when they see "divided nation." So, I'm here to ask for everyone's perspective: if a story's setting was in a "divided nation," what comes to your mind, if anything? What are some default expectations you might have when the setting's introduced as a divided nation?

Edit: Btw, I don't still live in Korea. I'm legally Canadian and have been living here longer now.

Last edited:

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
We just watch M.A.S.H.
No seriously. In America, that's what we think. Or we think, "All they do is play video games AMAZINGLY WELL." or "So sad the way they are all starving in NK, but not care enough to do anything about it."

Sorry, Mate.

AYM

Average cilantro enjoyer
A "divided nation" will only be relevant if the story engages in conflict or political discussion. If it is not a core component of your story it could serve as an interesting bit of worldbuilding.

A "Divided nation" can take upon different meanings. It could mean a historical secession or a religious schism. It could also mean a caste system or different political factions.

Sabruness

Cultured Yuri Connoisseur
the divided nation that comes to mind most, for me (not counting Korea) is the situation of West and East Germany during the Cold War. that might give you some alternate ideas (especially the oddity that was divided Berlin stuck deep inside the East. the US during the Civil War was another variation on the theme

i suppose one of the first things would be to determine how the nation is divided and how that division came about. from there, you can work out specific details that pertain to that form of division.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
So, for starters...I'm South Korean. I'm from a country that has been a divided nation for longer than I was alive. Naturally, I grew up learning the history and I know what being a divived nation actually entails to an extent.

I've recently been thinking how using a setting like this in urban fantasy might be interesting, only to realize I actually have no clue what others think of when they see "divided nation." So, I'm here to ask for everyone's perspective: if a story's setting was in a "divided nation," what comes to your mind, if anything? What are some default expectations you might have when the setting's introduced as a divided nation?
They are first and foremost artificial constructions from outside. :blob_reach:

TotallyHuman

civil war. That's it.
Don't want to offend you, but the two Koreas, at least to me, are not one nation, have not been for close to a century.

ChubbyLiv

Czechoslovakia split into the Czech Republic and Slovak Republic in a peaceful manner due to political and economic reasons, so it doesn't have to always end up in civil war.

What I would expect to see in such a story (or what I would find interesting) is two completely different governments, crazy fanatics who support them, and the impact the style of government has on the regular citizens. :LOL:

dummycake

Already daydreamed about this interaction
just look at most countries today, lol
US, Brazil, China, Russia...
each one will tell you how and why they are divided, even if it doesn't seem like it

Last edited:

Praybird

We just watch M.A.S.H.
No seriously. In America, that's what we think. Or we think, "All they do is play video games AMAZINGLY WELL." or "So sad the way they are all starving in NK, but not care enough to do anything about it."

Sorry, Mate.
Nothing to be sorry about, I appreciate the honesty! I find those two stereotypes pretty prevalent, even throughout South Korea itself.

A "divided nation" will only be relevant if the story engages in conflict or political discussion. If it is not a core component of your story it could serve as an interesting bit of worldbuilding.

A "Divided nation" can take upon different meanings. It could mean a historical secession or a religious schism. It could also mean a caste system or different political factions.
Interesting take. I did plan to use it as a central worldbuilding tool; I find the current state of North and South Korea very interesting in that a small mishap from either side could spark the war back at any moment, even though things seem peaceful on the outside.

I've never thought to incorporate religious takes, this is also a good point. Thank you.

civil war. That's it.
Don't want to offend you, but the two Koreas, at least to me, are not one nation, have not been for close to a century.
Not at all offended; being separate nations has been the reality, yep.

What I would expect to see in such a story (or what I would find interesting) is two completely different governments, crazy fanatics who support them, and the impact the style of government has on the regular citizens. :LOL:
Right, I do think that different governments would be a given under the assumption that they're two separate countries. Crazy fanatics are always fun to play with. I'm planning to have a faction that heavily supports continuing the war in full and their human experiments escaping over the border, though nothing's in stone yet.

MatchaChocolate69

What happens when the mirror breaks?

I'm not pleased about your situation, but honestly, it is very interesting, and narratively speaking, I believe it could be a conflict that can fuel the story. A single people, same roots, same language, same culture, but divided into two nations.

One is a third-world country plagued by famines and poverty, and the other is in the midst of an economic boom, a leader in technology, and even culturally dominating the world. And the two nations are still at war! If it weren't reality, someone should write about this.

To answer your question, I think it's a fascinating theme, and I believe you should leverage your experience in your story and your point of view.
I think it's valuable.

Mephi

Most urban fantasies take place within the confines of a single city, perhaps a bit of the surroundings. Unless the city itself is divided somehow, like post WW2 Berlin, then the divided nation bit would just come off as a bit of background, likely signalling an enemy faction within the story.

So, I wouldn't really think much of it at all, unless it actually became relevant to the city itself somehow. At which point... how the author describes the division and factions within the city override whatever I would think of as "divided nation"

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
My direct thought is not the nation is divided, but rather two separate entities already.

The only thing connecting the two Koreas, other than the land mass, is its name.

When a person says Korea, I immediately think of South Korea, North Korea is not even a place to me.

In a written setting, I find the whole "divided nation" thing can only be appealing is when conflict still active. As in, bombs flying, people dying, hatred boiling. The context of Koreas is not fun, unless Mr Bowl Cut kickstarts the Korea/ Southeast Asia War.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Nothing to be sorry about, I appreciate the honesty! I find those two stereotypes pretty prevalent, even throughout South Korea itself.
Well, My brother is Korean. He tells me America is great, and Korea sucked. He apparently has really hard feelings towards his parents who gave him up for adoption. The only other thing I know is he is REALLY into Tattoos. So I'm not exactly someone to ask about it, because the few stories I got were not flattering.

Voidiris

Gaze into the abyss to truly see?
Well my nation was once divided too, I'm German.
I don't think nations can be divided, I see the two Koreas as separate entities that claim to be Korean.
I know more about their special Konfusion(?) ideology that creates a unforgiving nation.

TotallyHuman

Well my nation was once divided too, I'm German.
I don't think nations can be divided, I see the two Koreas as separate entities that claim to be Korean.
I know more about their special Konfusion(?) ideology that creates a unforgiving nation.
You mean Confucian? That is more about Chinese. And it's not about forgiveness or anything similar.

J_Chemist

In a way, America is quite divided as well. With us having a two-party system, history of a civil war, and plenty of bad blood between individuals to the North, South, East, and West, there are dozens of reasons why one place or region may dislike/hate another. Not enough to stir us into another Civil War but enough that there are places where you shouldn't go or stop in if you have a certain State plate on your vehicle or tone of melanin. It's not as prevalent during the day to day but we see it plenty on the Internet, the news, and behind closed doors.

However, as dystopian as that may all sound--the US is still the US. Korea, on the other hand, is not just Korea. You have the North and the South. Different entities with different goals, each claiming the other as theirs. Unlike Vietnam that unified after it's Communist split, Korea has remained separated. It's a sad sight and terrible history, but it's also just as stupid that it still exists.

Why? Well, because there is a continued political pussyfoot game of catering to a wack job Dictator who does nothing but whine like a baby because the world only sees him as a toddler with nukes. Korea is divided because the World is full of cowards, but that's a different story. What I see is a country that should be a singular entity at this point but continues to play the blame game, passes the buck, and refuses to play ball with the other. And the people who suffer are you everyday persons just trying to survive and make a living.

Much like what Nota said, this situation is only appealing to those who love political jockeying. Unless you highlight conflict in some fashion, it's going to be a stalemate/staring contest of a story as both sides wait for the other to blink, only for one to be emaciated and starving while the other is eating a steak.

QuercusMalus

A bad apple...
When I think 'divided nation' my mind goes to a class system- plebian vs aristocracy. The divide is between the people with power, status, prestige and the underclass.
To me, Korea and Germany(after ww2) are not a divided nation, they are separate countries, each being an independent entity, calling them a divided country would be like calling any of the former States of the USSR a divided country as they are no longer part of Russia.

Voidiris

Gaze into the abyss to truly see?
You mean Confucian? That is more about Chinese. And it's not about forgiveness or anything similar.
Yes, Confucian, his ideology spread to other Asian nations like Korea and Japan, other changed the ideology and other successor ideologies were created, Korea should have the worst one, that is what I mean with unforgiving.

TotallyHuman

Yes, Confucian, his ideology spread to other Asian nations like Korea and Japan, other changed the ideology and other successor ideologies were created, Korea should have the worst one, that is what I mean with unforgiving.
What successor ideology is unforgiving in which Korea?