Thoughts on a Divided Nation

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
McArthur was undoubtedly one of the most Based of all time. The world would be safer and millions of deaths would have been prevented if the US bureaucrats let him have his nukes. We could’ve made the mother of all omelettes but we decided to fret over a few eggs. At least he wasn’t assassinated for his ideas like Patton was

TremendousHuman

Actual reason behind demographic problems

John_Owl

The one with fluffy wings
a divided nation, to my mind, would be the U.S. currently. divided amongst itself, still technically one nation. however, the citizens divide themselves into so many minute little categories that we're left with literally no allies but ourselves.

I say this because, in my mind, North Korea and South Korea are not one country. they've had at least one full generation that's been apart, so they are separate entities. Kind of like North and South Carolina, in america. they're different states, despite sharing a name.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
As a German let me tell you that a divided nation is pretty much just two nations in all but language and on paper. If there's a big difference in but just one aspect of traditions, lifestyle or legislation then it needs a big movement from either the ruling class or the populace to even get close to being a "divided nation" again.

Voidiris

Gaze into the abyss to truly see?
tldr; read only the part about modern times. It only covers the Republic of Korea, not DPRK. Also says that influence of Confucianism wanes in ROK.
I just wanted something that might answer your question, I didn't truly check it myself.
I don't have the mental energy to discuss something, sorry.

wresch

Just some background on Korea (I lived there for a time). Into the 1970s, the standard of living was roughly equivalent in both North and South. South Korea is now far richer - for lots of reasons. From a narrative perspective, you could track changes or decisions. Tell the story of a family. Maybe you tell about how life is now - after division - or maybe you describe life during a division. Either way, you have a major background for ordinary people trying to live as best they can.

Another thought - we are seeing Ukraine divided into East and West - Russian areas versus Europe. I am hoping to see some Ukranian novelists describe what they are going through, but I suspect those novels are several years off.

Attachments

• 0037321-9b9d71de-705c-488d-9666-a2999061bd20.jpg
    0037321-9b9d71de-705c-488d-9666-a2999061bd20.jpg
    905.2 KB · Views: 13

Terrate

Is it the same as Kamen Rider Build type of divided nation? Because it's plot revolves Japan being divided into 3 parts and having their own Agenda or something. It's been so long since I watched it.

dummycake

Already daydreamed about this interaction
Is it the same as Kamen Rider Build type of divided nation? Because it's plot revolves Japan being divided into 3 parts and having their own Agenda or something. It's been so long since I watched it.
I glimpsed my dad watching a movie, but isn't it more like an allegory for racism and immigration? with people going on the streets protesting against the aliens or something
I don't think it's the same situation with Korea

ReadLight

So, for starters...I'm South Korean. I'm from a country that has been a divided nation for longer than I was alive. Naturally, I grew up learning the history and I know what being a divived nation actually entails to an extent.

I've recently been thinking how using a setting like this in urban fantasy might be interesting, only to realize I actually have no clue what others think of when they see "divided nation." So, I'm here to ask for everyone's perspective: if a story's setting was in a "divided nation," what comes to your mind, if anything? What are some default expectations you might have when the setting's introduced as a divided nation?

Edit: Btw, I don't still live in Korea. I'm legally Canadian and have been living here longer now.
I have never been in a divided nation, so my very under informed first thoughts on one include: that area in Germany where they were divided and used different colours of lightbulbs, and you can see the difference from space.

The second thing that comes to mind is a nation of circle people and square people, then the story falls to the plot of the videogame: We become what we behold.

That's what comes to my mind. Hopefully it's not entirely useless to you.