Thoughts on Vikings Valhalla TV Series

• Thread starter Deleted member 70223
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 70223

I really enjoyed the original Vikings series and was excited to learn they were working on a new one. I was also pessimistic that it would be "woke". Sure enough, it is.

Has anyone here been watching it? Does the wokeness ruin the authenticity and coolness that the first series had?

Would anyone here recommend it?

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
I really enjoyed the original Vikings series and was excited to learn they were working on a new one. I was also pessimistic that it would be "woke". Sure enough, it is.

Has anyone here been watching it? Does the wokeness ruin the authenticity and coolness that the first series had?

Would anyone here recommend it?
Considering they have Black vikings, which is absurd, that was all I needed to know. Wokeism ruined Cowboy Bebop, it ruined Wheel of Time (my favorite fantasy series of all time), and it will ruin the new LOTR. I wasn't really interested in Vikings so I'm not bothered by it. I love the Saxon Chronicles books and tv-series (though not as much as books since they departed in some ways with the books I disliked) and they kept Wokeism out so I got to enjoy at least one series at least.

I was hurt by Cowboy Bebop, but eh, I was over it quick. But Wheel Of Time...that really bothers me. I've re-read that series 4 times and am literally in the process of a 5th re-read (on book 11 of 14). All I needed to see was the casting of the main characters to know it wouldn't do well. I'm glad the show has tanking viewership. The problem is, these producers will learn nothing. They have failed in nearly every attempt to woke-ify, and yet they continue to push their garbage out. So even if Vikings faces backlash and the show plummets, they'll just be some other rendition of it, likely even more woke, that will come out in a few years from now. So my dislike, or anyone's dislike really, changes nothing.

These companies have shown that they can lose billions of dollars, and still keep pushing trash out. DC Comics literally lost their Warner Bros real estate due to their declining sales, due to wokeism, and they'll still keep pushing the same absurd bullshit out years from now, until they are officially shut down and removed from venues. As long as even one store carries their merchandise, they'll continue to push their "message" regardless of the financial losses. So oh well.

didn't know there was a new viking show. i had to drop the first one after the show went to complete shit following a certain event. i'll give it a watch though

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Considering they have Black vikings, which is absurd, that was all I needed to know.
There were black Vikings. Its historical fact. Vikings just means pirates, and there were many black skinned people who either traveled to places like Norway or were taken as slaves and eventually became Vikings through some factor or another. Now, there werent a lot of black Vikings, but yeah. They existed.

Discount_Blade

There were black Vikings. Its historical fact. Vikings just means pirates, and there were many black skinned people who either traveled to places like Norway or were taken as slaves and eventually became Vikings through some factor or another. Now, there werent a lot of black Vikings, but yeah. They existed.
There were not "many". And there is still no concrete proof they ever controlled Viking ships and crews and weren't just enslaved rowers, common practice at the time. And the only blacks that would have been there were from the southern tip of Spain. Scandinavians didn't begin traveling that far south until many decades after they gained control of Normandy and most still went by land and not by sea. Only the Scandinavians who ended up in Sicily have been confirmed to have moved by sea and there were only a few hundred of them. Also, Blacks didn't "travel" to Scandinavia. They were slaves traded for Nordic goods (which was NOT a major exporter of ANYTHING to ANYONE at this period in time), and no "black viking" was ever in a position of power like in the show. You could have lived centuries in the Scandinavian area and still never seen a black person. They weren't just showing up everywhere. That's like claiming there were White Aztec's because some white people were in the area even before Cortes. Spare me the bullshit. Also, it was just as likely for these "black vikings" to have been of Middle Eastern stock, and not African. The Southern half of Spain was still under Islamic rule underneath the "Second Taifas Period" or the Almohad Caliphate, and only the latter had any significant numbers of Berbers from Africa in their military, the Almohad Caliphate being AFTER the period of the show.

Last edited:

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Whats even wokeism I never heard about it till now
Pitting minorities into roles of characters who are traditionally caucasian, for example. Making male characters men for some reason. Appearing to the LGBTQ community by adding in a gay or trans character reasons even tho they add nothing and have very simple, even unlikable personalities.

They made Starfire Black in the Titans live action tv series, for an example of the first point.
There were not "many". And the only ones that would have been there were from Spain. They didn't "travel" to Scandinavia. They were slaves traded for Nordic goods, and they most definitely were never in positions of power like in the show. Spare me the bullshit.
There were "many"--however you choose to define it, certainly more than just a handful--blacks but not many black Vikings. It's like you didnt even read the second part of my comment. As for positions of power, I didnt watch this new series but you said "they have black Vikings, which is absurd"

Having influence wasnt part of the equation, I'm just correcting you on that point. Spare me the salt, dude.

Also yes, they did also WILLINGLY TRAVEL to these nordic countries. But there were also those who didnt go willingly. Where they come from is irrelevant

Last edited:

ElliePorter

Crimson Queen Of The Night
Whats even wokeism I never heard about it till now
Its about adding "cultural diversity" or some sort. Basically, it adds nothing to the mix and they just want to force neutral people to take a stand.

Discount_Blade

There were "many"--however you choose to define it, certainly more than just a handful-
No, not many. Not in Scandinavia. Enslaved rowers maybe, but not warriors/pirates/etc.

Also yes, they did also WILLINGLY TRAVEL to these nordic countries.
No. No they didn't. Not to Scandinavia.

It's like you didnt even read the second part of my comment.
Read what? You were wrong on two points already, why read further?

Last edited:

SilvCrimBlac

A Historical Bastard
Lol, imagine being that guy who thinks Black people traveled to Nordic countries in the Early Middle-High Middle Ages. Asians from the Middle and Near East? Sure. Africa? LOL. Okay bro.

Them historical revisionists treating you well? Are you at least getting some perks out of it? @CupcakeNinja :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Lol, imagine being that guy who thinks Black people traveled to Nordic countries in the Early Middle-High Middle Ages. Asians from the Middle and Near East? Sure. Africa? LOL. Okay bro.

Them historical revisionists treating you well? Are you at least getting some perks out of it? @CupcakeNinja :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
A History of the Vikings by historian Gwyn Jonest says you're full of shit. Black skinned people were the original race that occupied nearly every corner of the globe. The blacks were among the first vikings, whether they were any in power during the era the Vikings tv series takes place in is secondary

No, not many. Not in Scandinavia. Enslaved rowers maybe, but not warriors/pirates/etc.

No. No they didn't. Not to Scandinavia.

Read what? You were wrong on two points already, why read further?

Im not mad Just because you two are ignorant of this. But lets not argue when there's historical documents giving evidence of black skinned people among both the Vikings AND the Celts.
William and Robert Chambers' Information for the people Vol 2
J.A Rogers Sex and Race Vol 1

Discount_Blade

A History of the Vikings by historian Gwyn Jonest says you're full of shit. Black skinned people were the original race that occupied nearly every corner of the globe. The blacks were among the first vikings, whether they were any in power during the era the Vikings tv series takes place in is secondary
You used a woman who translated the Sagas, which are so riddled with historical faults and inaccuracies that they are only used by historians to compare to/with actual historical sources? Sure bud. Have fun with that. Try using her in an actual history-based forum and watch the ridicule roll in.
he blacks were among the first vikings, whether they were any in power during the era the Vikings tv series takes place in is secondary
Actually them not being in Scandinavia was my whole argument. You just didn't like my usage of the word viking when it still should have been obvious what I was referring to since you know, the thread title. But keep splitting those hairs XD

And as for black people being all over the world...yeah no thats inaccurate too. Humanity as it is now (meaning Homo Sapiens), has only been around since 300,000 years ago, the oldest discovered ancestor being in Africa, and by this point, the continents were situated as they are now. People migrated out of Africa and skin tones began changing due to different enviironments. So no, Black-skinned people didn't rule every corner of the globe. We can't even prove that Africans were black in the way they are now, though that's not an argument I'd be willing to make since it's a stupid one.

William and Robert Chambers' Information for the people Vol 2
That is a terrible source btw. I've read it. Written in 1920's before archaeology was in its "modern phase" which means it omits or lacks quite a lot of data, and also before MANY new manuscripts were found. Also, no, no blacks in Celtic lore. I'm just...very amused with you here. Good try though. The only time Blacks were in a Celtic landscape was under the Roman era, and they didn't stay except for the occasional outlier which made no alterations in the local genetic gene pool. Meaning they were so few IF they did indeed stay long-term, that they might as well have never been there at all for all the historical/archaeological presence they left.

J.A Rogers Sex and Race Vol 1
Never heard of this one. But if it is like your other "sources", I'm not impressed.
Im not mad Just because you two are ignorant of this. But lets not argue when there's historical documents giving evidence of black skinned people among both the Vikings AND the Celts.
I'm not mad that you're ignorant either. Let's not argue your outlandish claims. The only thing I can't laugh at you about is the J.A. Rogers book, haven't seen that one.

Last edited:

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Actually them not being in Scandinavia was my whole argument. You just didn't like my usage of the word viking when it still should have been obvious what I was referring to since you know, the thread title. But keep splitting those hairs XD
bud, you fail to understand that all that doesnt matter. Even if you're a historian yourself, you're still wrong for the simple fact i fucked your mother.

Anyway, there were black vikings. Scandinavia, i dunno. I give fuck all about that, but in that first comment you didnt specify Scandinavia and that threw me off cuz i aint got any idea where this series takes place. All i know is there's vikings, i just paid attention to the drama and gore

I'll concede the arguement. I have a vague, approximate knowledge of many things which is only enough to sound good until my googling skills are questioned

Last edited:

Discount_Blade

bud, you fail to understand that all that doesnt matter. Even if you're a historian yourself, you're still wrong for the simple fact i fucked your mother.

Anyway, there were black vikings. Scandinavia, i dunno. I give fuck all about that, but in that first comment you didnt specify Scandinavia and that threw me off cuz i aint got any idea where this series takes place. All i know is there's vikings, i just paid attention to the drama and gore
The word Viking was never used for "pirates' until recently. Scandinavia during Europe's Viking Era (793-1066 A.D., considered as ended with the Conquest of England by Normans) is what coined the term. The word Viking itself is purely North European via etymology. It has never been used as an identifier for any other group, regardless of the broader term the word has taken on now. For most of its history, the word has only meant Scandinavian sea raiders. Even the Saxons, from modern North Germany/South Denmark, who were the original famous sea raiders before the Scandinavians, were never called Vikings. It's a modern thing to term all pirates as "Vikings", but that's not its historical usage.
Lol please, who HASN'T fucked my mother. If anything, you have more "hole brothers" than I think you'd care to know. My condolences.
Anyway, there were black vikings.
But, seeing as today, Viking as a term is synonymous and interchangeable with sea-borne raider/pirate, most modern pirates are indeed Black, and to a lesser extent, Arabic.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 70223

You are a bold faced liar.

Vikings specifically refers to Scandanavian pirates. No one ever called the Portuguese, French, Dutch, English etc. Vikings. EVER.

And you mean to tell me a people who never even had the wheel or any type of written language were able to sail anywhere, much less to northern Europe? LOL.

The Berbers (Moors) sailed throughout the Mediterranean, the British Isles and northern Europe. But they were Arabs.

Tell me you majored in social studies without telling me you majored in social studies.

I'm sure his parents are thrilled having spent all that money having him turn out the way he did.

Last edited by a moderator:

longer

Balls
Black vikings existed and so did white samurai.

On a slightly more detailed note, I recall that a number of vikings were of slavic origin, particularly the coastal cities along the Baltic. So vikings didn't have to be from Scandinavia if we're contesting that. To be a viking or vikingr would most likely require one to join a Scandinavian warband that engaged in activities of raiding. Though that begs the question: could norman raiders in places such as Sicily be considered vikings? They were certainly bands of maritime nordmen that engaged in warcrimes and looting. However, it seems that normans are often referred to more as normans during such activities even if they did have a few proper Scandinavian comrades with them.

D

Deleted member 70223

On a slightly more detailed note, I recall that a number of vikings were of slavic origin, particularly the coastal cities along the Baltic. So vikings didn't have to be from Scandinavia if we're contesting that. To be a viking or vikingr would most likely require one to join a Scandinavian warband that engaged in activities of raiding.

Vikings settled those areas. The local Slavic populations were never vikings until they began to interact with their new Scandanavian inhabitants.

D

Deleted member 70223

Though that begs the question: could norman raiders in places such as Sicily be considered vikings? They were certainly bands of maritime nordmen that engaged in warcrimes and looting. However, it seems that normans are often referred to more as normans during such activities even if they did have a few proper Scandinavian comrades with them.

I would say no.

Only the vikings amongst the Normans could be called so.

Even though they had viking captains and used viking ship building methods and navigation, the Normans were distinct from them in many ways. Normans are their own classification.

longer

Balls
The local Slavic populations were never vikings until they began to interact with their new Scandanavian inhabitants.
Well I did quite clearly state that one had to join a Scandinavian group to generally be considered vikings. A bit hard to do if they haven't interacted with Scandinavians.
Even though they had viking captains and used viking ship building methods and navigation, the Normans were distinct from them in many ways. Normans are their own classification.
I've noticed this when reading historical texts. The normans are always referred to as a distinct group despite technically being one of the groups most qualified to be referred to as vikings. This is more so to disprove that any pirate could be considered vikings. Because if the normans were considered distinct enough then other independent raiders would not be vikings. Just whatever type of raider they were.